Thread: My Son's First Rifle

Default My Son's First Rifle

I bought my 7 month old his first rifle last night. I ran across a new-in-the-box Remington 580 Boy's Rifle (Link to an original Remingtion ad). It's a single-shot .22, with a youth-length mahogany stock. The barrel code indicates that it was made in June of '73. The box contains all of the original literature and hang tag. I thought it was a pretty cool find.

When was the last time you saw a Remington box that wasn't green?

The rifle:

Another photo:

And, here's a photo of the lucky boy:

SWEEEEEEET both the find and your son. Lots of fun years ahead.

Nice find! he'll probably pass that along to your grandson. As long as you don't wear it out before he's old enough to shoot it. ;-)

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Love it! I bought my son his first rifle when he was about a year old, so I can certainly appreciate your excitement.

Excellent find and a great little .22!!! Very cool w/ original everything!!!

I still have a Remington model 581 (same action w/ 5 and 10 round magazines)... lightweight and quite the little tack-driver.

I still find the little rim-fire near perfect or its lightweight, accurate handiness --- plus it's like another practical center-fire favorite - the Remington model 788.

Congrats on the find and best wishes to future shooting.

Looks like a great match for your son. Congrats!
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Very nice! Gunbroker?

That's sooo cool! It's got me wondering what my 4yr old daughter will think of my old nylon 66 black diamond when her time comes. I may need to go out and look for a youth sized .22 for her cause the thought of giving my .22 up is already bothering me!

Nice! Great find. That certainly brings back memories. A brand new 580 was the first rifle my Dad bought for me. Not my first rifle, however. We found a single shot 22 with a broken extractor in the Girdwood dump a little bit earlier....Louis
    Louis Knapp

Very nice Dan! Before you know it, you'll be handing one of those custom .223s down to him. My first rifle was a Remington 521 and it is still in the safe with my grandson's name on it. I'm now looking for something similar for my granddaughter and I've been told there is another one in the oven so I guess I had better look for two.

Wow, the little guy is growing like a weed! Looks like a future football player to me.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Very cool find. I wish I had one for my 5yr old son. I'm planning on giving him my first rifle, a 22LR semi auto Browning. I do think the Single shot you have is a much better choice.

Just got home, been gone for 4 days. Showed my wife this thread and told her that I wanted to hook our 5yr old son up with one, she's in, hot dog...