Thread: cooking tongue? need the directions

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default cooking tongue? need the directions

as promised i saved this last tongue. i know we have lightly discussed its preparation in various other threads... but now is the defining moment..

is some one willing to step by step the boil process and prep of a caribou tongue?

we got all our slicing and grinding done yesterday... have ribs brining for smoking this afternoon and casing re hydrating for stuffing this afternoon... (i plan on giving it ONE more solid effort)lol i hate casings.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince, I'd add a tsp or so of salt to enough water to properly submerge the tongue (perhaps a quart or so in a simmering pot), add a TBSP or so of cider vinegar, and simmer covered until the tonguie's cooked and the skin on the tongue has loosened to the point of peeling off like a loose rubber glove with miniimal effort.

You can then slice it for sandwiches or crackers, chop or dice it for adding to soup with the broth of your choosing, add it to skillet or oven-prepped casseroles with veggies of your liking, etc.

My grandma used to filet off the taste buds of beef tongue, hammer it flat, then batter it up and chicken fry it.

Place the tongue in a pot cover with water, add salt, pepper corns, bay leaves, onion, celery, and garlic. I also like to add a jalapeno, but this is to taste.

Boil at a low boil for about 2 to 3 hours. Remove and peel the tongue, now take the tongue with all skin removed and slice it thin.

Take the slices and brown them in a skillet with a little oil.

Serve on fresh tortillas with veggies of your liking. I like onion, Cilantro and Avocados

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Place the tongue in a pot cover with water, add salt, pepper corns, bay leaves, onion, celery, and garlic. I also like to add a jalapeno, but this is to taste.

Boil at a low boil for about 2 to 3 hours. Remove and peel the tongue, now take the tongue with all skin removed and slice it thin.

Serve on fresh tortillas with veggies of your liking. I like onion, Cilantro and Avocados

Steve
    thanks steve... i am saving them all from here on out... it is a bit of work to make... but what a treat.. thanks
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I was going to post how I've done it, but this sounds way better.

Steve
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Even better when you use a cast iron skillet to brown the cooked tender tongue in bacon grease.

I'm getting hungry...

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Steve
    We do it about the same way as Steve. Sometimes I throw in some corning spices to the water. Once the peeled tongue is cooled down it is really easy to slice thin. We like it best made into sandwiches on fresh from the oven sourdough bread. I canned some of the tongue slices with chopped onion for a wintertime treat!

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

We toss a dozen or so Caribou Tounges inna big pot and boil till done.

Some skin 'em, most dont, yer preference.

Eat with salt , Pepper and a fork n knife, or like a pickle, your choice.

Gos good with any and everyything, best part of the Caribou
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    We toss a dozen or so Caribou Tounges inna big pot and boil till done.

Some skin 'em, most dont, yer preference.

Eat with salt , Pepper and a fork n knife, or like a pickle, your choice.

Gos good with any and everyything, best part of the Caribou
    If ya all new my exwife, you wouldn't have to do all this work. Just season to taste, cuz it's already hot enough.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.