Thread: New to trapping

Default New to trapping

I am new to this and really can't trap until after spring when I hit the year mark. I left another thread wanting to know where I might be able to scout for wolf/fox/coyote around Houston or even Meadow Lakes or Willow.

My question here is, what is the best type of trap to use for fox, coyotes, and wolf? Should I just try snares or is a trap better?

I also want to trap some beaver, but I know that will be a conibear and I will have to go north for that.

Any help is welcome. Like I said, this winter I just want to take the 6-wheeler or snowmachine out and find some for next year. Thanks.

In the woods as much as possible

Hey man welcome to alaska! its hard to say just one trap that is good for fox coyote and wolf. ur gonna need a wayyy bigger and stronger trap for wolf than what you would use for a fox or coyote. also you would be surprised how well snares work on wolves....especially in a gang set. id suggest getting the trapping manual from alaska trappers association..they have some real good information there. i believe they have their own website. or find someone who already traps and try to tag along a little. thats how i learned...tagging along with a seasoned trapper. you learn alot by just watching what they do. also..u would be surprised how well snares and foot holds work for beaver....good luck out there.
    They say its unsafe to own a gun, I say its unsafe to have only one!!!

Thanks. A buddy just recommended the Alaska Trappers Guide. Gonna pick it up.