Thread: Very active aurora tonight

Default Very active aurora tonight

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/pmap/pmapN.html

Should be some neat photo ops beginning in an hour or so (for ANC/mat-su). normal activity level is 3 or so, reading 7 right now!

Looks strong enough to see quite the show even with the full moon. Would like to see some photos if anyone takes some and wants to share.

I went outside for a while around 1 and didn't see any aurora. That moon sure was shining bright though. Thanks for the heads up anyway.

I appreciate the heads up as well. I checked here in Sitka around 1:00 AM too. Big bright moon and no auroras. Thanks for trying.

Bruce
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

i also struck out on viewing when I posted this back in October. At the risk of jinxing us all again, tonight is looking pretty darn good if the trend holds.

moon is bright, but at least only half full, auroral activity has been bouncing between 5 and 7 the last few hours, currently reading 6.
    (check link in first post)

my thermometer is at -9 and falling pretty dang fast. hopefully i'll get at least a few minutes out of the point and shoot if anything exciting transpires.