Thread: Houston area predators?

Default Houston area predators?

Wondering if anyone knows good areas near Houston to find wolf, fox, or coyote? Also, how to access the areas. Thanks.

Most the people who know are not going to share that kind of information. If you are in houston I reccomend you take a trip out zero lake road and do some exploring you might find what you are looking for.

I guess I'll be the one to say it this time.....(and I dont trap the Houston area).....but there are ALOT of active trappers in that area. Be respectful of other folks "lines". I see it in my area every year where someone new comes in and sets near to or on top of existing sets...it should not be that way, but it is. If its easily accessible, its probably being trapped....you probably will have to do some serious searching to find places in that area that are not being trapped...

Good luck and stay safe!

Thanks for the info. I will check out that area mentioned and will definitely not be getting on top of anyone else. I really will just be scouting this winter for spots, and will start trapping next.

I understand how hard it can be to find a little area to trap. My suggestion is to do the scouting just like you mention...but keep an eye out for signs of other trappers. If you see no sign by a couple of weeks into the season....well, you make the call if you should place some sets there or not...I'd say set them, but be willing to move on or at least compromise if someone comes in and claims the area...

If you are willing to work a little to get to hard to access places, you can still find decent spots.

I wouldn't touch Zero lake road and I'll tell you why on Tuesday
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    I wouldn't touch Zero lake road and I'll tell you why on Tuesday
    I'm curious now. How come? I play around up there.

Exactly..... part of my point Matt, you and how many others?

Attend the meeting, I'll be happy to get into detail.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

what meeting?
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Sharks....AFTA is having their monthly meeting at the Palmer Library....

There will be a presentation on skinning/fleshing beaver...Swap and Sell starts at 6.

Supporting Member

Having tried the Zero Lake road area a few years back, I can echo Huntress' feelings/comments...I would not ever go back in that area again.. The cost of the equipment I had stolen far outweighed any potential fun or profit. Just my feelings for what they are worth!

Zero Lake road is not a good choice. Lots of people & there is a dog team that runs the trails in the winter time. Not to mention snow machines travel alot on the trails as well. I would do as advise above, research & find your own spot & TELL NO ONE about it.

I never had any problems back there and been using that area for years. I will continue to do so.

Supporting Member

Good for you Matt! I hope your luck continues to hold. As for me, I only have to get ripped off in a major way once before I move away from an area that has a thief working in it. Be safe and may all your traps and snare be full of fur this season!

Good for you Matt! I've known many more that have had problems back there (Trappers)....I'm assuming you have "trapped" back there for many years or are you talking predator hunting etc.....? If so you'd know that's a highly used area by many. Maybe Matt would be happy to show you some spots AK Exporer since it sounds to me as though he'd be happy to have more company.....maybe even mentor you

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    Good for you Matt! I've known many more that have had problems back there....I'm assuming you have "trapped" back there for many years? If so you'd know that's a highly used area by many. Maybe Matt would be happy to show you some spots AK Exporer since it sounds to me as though he'd be happy to have more company.....maybe even mentor you
    Trap, no, but predator hunt and bear bait, then yes. But I leave a small 'footprint', per se, when I'm in that area. I guess that's why no one can find my stuff or that I have ever been ripped off.

And if I have to guide someone through the woods (wouldn't be the first time) then I'll make sure to show him where everyone is trapping out that way so he'll know what areas to try and avoid.

Matt,

We were talking about trapping. There's a bit of a difference between trapping and predator calling. Unless of course you're leaving your caller in the woods

I doubt anyone will feel any pressure or competition from me. i won't be running a whole lot of traps at any time.