Thread: Satellite Radio in PWS???

Default Satellite Radio in PWS???

anybody use a satellite radio in remote PWS? I know very little about them but I am hoping to listen to the Giants (w)in the world series over the next few weeks.

Is the signal consistent like a Sat. phone?
    Do you prefer sirius or XM?

What model do you have, how is it?

Does anyone have one that will be sitting around collecting dust for the next few weeks who would like to rent it out??? shoot me a pm if so

It will be kept safe and sound in a cabin.

Any and all experiences/insights appreciated.

If you are in an open area it shoule work but if you have mountains around you it most likley will not work. The satelite that the radio uses is very low on the horizon. My wife has one that came with her rig and it works ok if you are sitting still but if you are driving it is in and out and does not work going through turnagain pass. So my best guess is that it will not work unless you are out by montegue. I wish they would launch another satellite so we could get better recep up here but I have been told that it is not cost effective for them to do that not enough population in the north to support it. Good luck and if you happen to get one post back please and let us know if it works and how well.
    Tony

As Tony said.
    If you are in the open it should work ok, but mountains are the nemisis of sat radio reception.
    XM is totally useless in the North (their sat is the lowest in the sky), Sirius works fine for me until I get to the Kluane region of the Yukon. West of that area reception is non-existent. If I'm lucky I can find a spot to park when I'm on the KP where I can listen to the Nascar race, but if you're moving reception sucks.
    The terrain is much more open here in Yellowknife, so it (Sirius) works very well. I originally had XM and it was as usless here as Sirius is in Alaska.

thanks for the replies. sounds like I will go with sirius and see how it turns out. we will have a fairly clear line of sight to the S/SW, not so much to the SE. Will try to remember to post here on my results. Hoping I can rent one in ANC somewhere but being that they seem from your reports near worthless in these parts I won't be holding my breath. Now wondering if I can even buy a handheld one. better look into it quick.

thanks guys. anybody else wanna share info? or loan me a handheld?