Thread: Inspector Harry Callahan: "A man has got to know his limits".....Sadly mine suck....!

Default Inspector Harry Callahan: "A man has got to know his limits".....Sadly mine suck....!

Being Old SUCKS........There is just not good way to spin that. Having a young heart and a old body, you are still limited by the old body. I got the new winter survival packs assembled, and decided to hump it out to "GULL ROCK" today. I do 4.2 miles per hour on the Hope Road, average over 4 to 5 miles. And figure I am good for 3.5 to 3.7 MPH over a fair trail.

So today I humped a 32# survival pack out to "GULL ROCK" and did 3.2 MPH (which really sucks) To make matters worse I really had to dig deep to finish the 13 R/T mile trip. Note: they have extended the trail about one mile each way.

I'll do better next week, but I fear it is a loosing enterprise.

I got winded just reading this.

I had to sit down.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    I got winded just reading this.
    YEA, Well just wait till your 64 and have one foot in the grave, and the other on a Banana Peel.

I was looking at Google Maps, and yep, it looks like the Dept of the Interior added 4 miles each way! You must have really been doing about 6+ MPH! Way to go ;-) ...my knees are aching just thinking about it.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    I was looking at Google Maps, and yep, it looks like the Dept of the Interior added 4 miles each way! You must have really been doing about 6+ MPH! Way to go ;-) ...my knees are aching just thinking about it.
    All of that has not yet been built. At this point the temporary Gull Rock Trail head is the same as the Hope Point Trail head. My guess is that for now the temporary trail is about 1.2 miles longer, so instead of being 5.7 miles it is for now "about" 7 miles each way.

I've found the limiting factor on hiking speed is usually the trail and not so much your conditioning. You can be a world class athlete and you still run the risk of breaking your neck if you push it beyond what the trail warrants. This is why hiking sticks and traction enhancement, like spikes, can increase your speed ... IMHO

AGL4now,
    ...yet I admire your spirit and your quest...
    2 hades with your mph speed!
    Would you have rather spent the day in an office?
    And who won that race?
    U did!

And your 13 mile RT...you just outhiked a hugh percentage of this forum regardless of their age.

Joe Want is laughing about your pathetic speed.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

You're only as old as you think you are (or aren't)! I think it's impressive, and I too hope to still be logging miles in another 30 years. You must be in pretty good shape for a self-described "old body!" I know lots of folks who rarely hike, so keep it up!

you're doing darn good old timer...i did gull rock this summer too and these were my thoughts about it...

It was the year 1778 and captain James Cook with ships Resolution and Discovery searching for the Northwest Passage sailed into previously unknown waters by the outside world that were to be later named for him.

1000 years before this historical event the Athabascan Dena’ina natives known as the Kenaitze had moved onto the western Kenai Peninsula and settled along the coastline living a rich subsistence lifestyle supplemented by hunting and seafood.. Their name for these waters at the time was Nuti, which translates to Salt Water..

At a location named Point Possession Captain Cook sent a party ashore to boldly claim this land for England and then promptly sailed away ! A small group of local natives observed the ceremony as Cook’s party buried the written pronouncement and 2 coins of silver mint at this location.The inlet was named after Cook in 1794 by George Vancouver who had served under Cook in 1778. Turnagain Arm was named by William Bligh of HMS Bounty fame. Bligh served as Cook’s Sailing Master on his 3rd and final voyage, with the aim to discover the Northwest Passage.

Upon reaching the head of Cook Inlet, Bligh was of the opinion that both Knik Arm and Turnagain Arm were the mouths of rivers and not the opening to the Northwest Passage. Under Cook's orders Bligh organized a party to travel up Knik Arm, which quickly returned to report Knik Arm indeed led only to a river.

Afterwards a second party was dispatched up Turnagain Arm and it too returned to report only a river lay ahead. As a result of this frustration the second body of water was given the disingenuous name "Turn Again". Early maps label Turnagain Arm as the "Turnagain River".

So grab your daypack for a ten mile walk and raingear too it’s a windy, blustery day and lets travel this coastal route known as Gull Rock Trail. Let the present time and worries drift far, far away into distant slumber, all the while thinking back upon a lost time long before the Hope-Sunrise gold rush of the late 1800's...before the Russian Promyshlenniki occupied this land (fur traders from the late 1700's), and before the outside contact from Captain James Cook and his crew.

Think of a time where only the Dena’ina travelled this coast on moccasined foot or by bidarki kayak...think of yourself as one of them out gathering seagull eggs for the village, or caribou hunting for a potlatch....always keeping an eye open and towards the water for war parties from the village of Tyonek that lay across this body of water so you could return in time to protect your people. Your entire knowledge of the world and history captured in the sukdu (traditional stories) as spoken by the elders of the tribe.

And then one day out on the trail looking over the water to the northwest large strange wooden ships with sails slowly coming into sight....

And Ressurection Pass too...Now for next summer i'm thinking about russian lakes to seward.

I'm new to this forum so, i have no idea how old you are. But....i know some 19 an 20 year olds that have a hard time getting to the kitchen for another fat pill. So don't feel bad, old age happens. I'm about 25 pounds heavier than 10 years ago. But i can still out hump most of my troops. My wife went 30 miles R/T with me last weekend on the Florida trail. Granted i carried every thing but her Camelback. But it was only her 3rd trip. She's from Sterling and i am fixin'(southern word) to retire there. I noticed us old guys get it done simply by being harder than those young guys. Just keep truckin an love the way it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I do 4.2 miles per hour on the Hope Road, average over 4 to 5 miles. And figure I am good for 3.5 to 3.7 MPH over a fair trail.

So today I humped a 32# survival pack out to "GULL ROCK" and did 3.2 MPH (which really sucks)
    Are you headed to a fire? 3 mph is average walking speed. What's the rush? Stop and listen to the sounds. Smell the roses.

Quote Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
    Are you headed to a fire? 3 mph is average walking speed. What's the rush? Stop and listen to the sounds. Smell the roses.
    I can stop & smell the Goose poop any time, this was a test. And sadly I failed. But I'll do much better next spring. I'll be older, wiser, and in more gooooder shape, and 64.5 years old.