Thread: helmet radios

Default helmet radios

any one use them? if so what are your takes? looking at getting some..

thank you
    Robbie

My group tried them a while back (late 90's), and didn't care for them. They seemed to be more trouble than they were worth. Batterys would die in the cold, push to talk cables running all over in the way, voice activation was usless as soon as the first guy started his sled, etc. We were back country mountian/ powder riding. The new ones are prolly a lot better, and depending on your riding they might work. IMO I wouldn't waist the cash. We just use hand signals, seems to work fine.

I tried some of the Firefox throat mike ones on my motorcycle and couldn't hear a thing even with them turned all the way up. Haven't even tried them on the snowmachines cause if they it is louder.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Robbie they are great for when your stopped. but thats about it.. some are good on the quite touring bikes... but as for atv. sno-go use... we have yet to find a setup that works. couple guys i know that run the Arctic man each year have tried about every conceivable combination including pilot style head gear... and junk them each time.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I think it could be done but you would have to go the aircraft quality route. Also live mikes probably wouldn't work, you would have to go with a push to talk. But really is it worth it? For one thing I hunt on my snowmachine so that excludes me right there.
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

hey thanks guys I picked up some hand held with VOX head sets instead and will try them out

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by akguy454 View Post
    hey thanks guys I picked up some hand held with VOX head sets instead and will try them out
    PTT... only... we also have those.. the machine noise will keep VOX open all the time. but at least if there is an issue. some one yelling incoherently in your ear might get your attention... can't honestly believe you asked about helmet radios though... we all know your head don't fit in any helmet
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    PTT... only... we also have those.. the machine noise will keep VOX open all the time. but at least if there is an issue. some one yelling incoherently in your ear might get your attention... can't honestly believe you asked about helmet radios though... we all know your head don't fit in any helmet
    ohhh careful vince... robbie doesnt like it when he gets made fun of :P

that is why I went with the hand held cause none of the helmets fit

Quote Originally Posted by akguy454 View Post
    that is why I went with the hand held cause none of the helmets fit

could just cut some eye holes in a 5 gallon bucket.. use the handle at a chin strap.

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post

could just cut some eye holes in a 5 gallon bucket.. use the handle at a chin strap.

hahahaha could almost picture this happening

I've got the Scala Cardo Q2 . They work great at low speeds on my 2 stroke...but they do get hard to hear when you're anywhere over half throttle. I had to do some cutting on the foam near the chin to make the mic fit inside the helmet...only about a quarter sized hole to let the mic sit recessed so it wouldn't be right on my lips. With the mic tucked inside the helmet when I'm using the breath diffuser it doesn't stay keyed up. I usually have to blow into the mic to get it to open up so I can talk. It also picks up radio stations so you can listen to tunes while you're riding.