Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 58,336 Kings Gone, Last BIG Mistake they make, or not

Default 58,336 Kings Gone, Last BIG Mistake they make, or not

So Could this be just another interesting story, Aaawwwww Shucks, or The Major Whoops,
    "BY FAR, this the LARGEST BYCATCH we have EVER seen,"

Maybe one of the LAST BIG mistakes the Trawlers make, when will it end?
    58,000 King Salmon Gone, pitched over the side, YET OBSERVED, not contested #'s,
    and these are not Northern Bering Sea where only the Northern Yukon Natives are left hanging,

This time it is the Gulf of Alaska, that's fish bound for the peak sport fisheries of the state, AND for the Pacific Northwest, the home of the Green Movement.... What do you think?

http://www.kodiakdailymirror.com/?pid=19&id=9256
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Down with the draggers.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Sad...and I don't believe there is any stock of origin information on GOA bycatch.

I'd like to say that something like this is an indicator of high Chinook salmon abundance, but we saw the same thing just a few years ago in the Bering Sea, and it wasn't followed by better returns of the stocks that dominate that stock make-up. With Chinook stocks (coast-wide) either depressed or in trouble, this ain't gonna help them one bit.

I think I'll be supportin' the next protest subsistence fishing...This is gettin' rediculous!

Makes me sick. It'll get swept under the rug I fear the commercial folks have the $.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

i wrote a paper about this for one of my college classes last semester. if anyone wants to read it just shoot me a pm. i think it has some good information in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Makes me sick. It'll get swept under the rug I fear the commercial folks have the $.
    I think this one may have the Draggers sweating,
    They are currently dealing with massive closures of pollock and Atka Mackeral way out west (Western Aleutians)as the recent Bio opinion on Sealion decline is more sure the diet of Pollock being depleted is more of a big deal than previously imagined,
    Around Kodiak there is a pretty major closure pending for the protection of Tanner Crab stocks, recently growing and pretty valuable species, has a lot of support of other fisherman and town folks to shove the Groundfish Draggers out of some grounds they really want, you can imagine what they do to crab grounds. the Hard on Bottom Nets?

Then this HUGE increase in bycatch of what, "arguably the single most valuable species of fish to all Alaskans,"

Thing that gets me is that they are trading these beautiful fish, (can you imagine 58,000 of those tossed over the side?)
    how many families would love to have just one of those each summer?,
    how much is one individual King to the entire tourism business? I'm kinda guessing but even the Commercial trollers in SE are getting something like $7.00+ per pound for these, and,

Trading those for Pollock, sure Billions of pounds of them, but that's "Fish Paste," not sure, but I think they get around $0.07/lb for that stuff, and Have you tried that artificial crab lately? Aaaawwwww, not a good trade

They do have a lot of money and influence, the Trawlers, but this mistake will not go down well for them.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

This is just plain sad. and we wonder where the kings are going

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Thing that gets me is that they are trading these beautiful fish, (can you imagine 58,000 of those tossed over the side?)
    Thats what I can't understand either. They landed the kings, why toss them overboard? The observer witnesses this?

Default You ain't seen nothing yet...

http://www.endoftheline.com

This is undoubtedly the most signifigant film that deals with depletion that I have ever seen. I watched it on PBS. The site is worth scrolling and the film is simply masterful.

If you ever watched Captains Courageous (a black and white film starring Spencer Tracey) you saw the Grand Banks featured as they once were. They are now history.

If you think that one person cannot make a difference then guess again. All it took was one angry mother who lost a child to a drunk driver to start a revolution that changed everything about drinking and driving and the legislation surrounding it, nationwide.

Sad to think that sportfishermen are unorganized. We number in the hundreds of thousands and could be a powerful voice...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

"Thats what I can't understand either. They landed the kings, why toss them overboard? The observer witnesses this?"

It's how the regs are set up...the draggers CANNOT keep the bycatch, as if they could, and they made money from them, they would actually have an incentive to catch more, or at least less incentive to not catch them. And finding a way to make use of them has apparently so far not been done or at least enacted - probably too costly to the draggers. It's part of the really twisted regs ruling commercial fishing in AK, even if they are some of the best worldwide, which they are. The observer is simply recording data, so yes, the just observe this. At least it's how the information becomes documented and public.

I did a theoretical grant proposal for a UAA course years ago suggesting a funded study of how to at least make use of some of the most valuable bycatch - kings, halibut - and the course instructor liked it so much she said it was emminently fundable. But that was a small scale look at getting some good protein to food banks. The amount of quality fishes wasted, simply on the terms of wanton waste alone, not to mention alternative values (susistence needs, sportfishing, tourism dollars to the State, etc) is staggering.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Aw Bernard the video depressed me. I don't like the trawlers catching the kings anymore than the next guy, but I assure you our fish stocks aren't the horror story that you're dealing w/ in Florida

Chalk up another brilliant move by these guys
    NMFS on pigeon cove co-op.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I know you can`t keep them the bycatch and have to toss them so how about charging them the comercial price .Let them pay and lose the catch ,58000 plus fish time $7 a pound .Fact is they won`t stop or care till you take it out of there pockets

I say for starters how about we make them keep the by-catch process it into fillets, then it is donated to charity. and any fish loss when the boat returns due to improper handling is charged to the boat at current market value That way they have to use time and space (both valuable resources to a commercial boat) to ensure the by-catch is not wasted. they lose money not make it off the by-catch fish, and it is not wasted. Then add increased penalties for significant by-catch numbers and shut down the season whenever the numbers pass a low maximum by-catch number. I have nothing against commercial fishing (done it myself) but trawling has been shown time and time again to be unsustainable. trawlers need to go in the long run. But I believe with proper management the trawler fleet could be eliminated over time through attrition, by-backs, and slowly reducing the trawler permits available.

Make them keep them to be donated to food shelfs and pay x2 market value as a fine. With kings in so much trouble this just cant keep going on and on.

I acknowldege the management of ADF&G very much. Alaska is many miles beyond the rest of the nation (IMO) in management, preservation, and substainability of what the this Great Land currently has. I grieve the loss of Ted Stevens, outspoken as he was, in many of his applications in behalf of the resident and non-resident fisherman.

I pay my liscense fees every year, participate in state surveys, and contribute what I can as an outsider. I am an outsider. I recognize that; yet nevertheless, I strive to remain informed on "what is" and "what will be" in behalf of the many who are attracted to one of the greatest fisheries that remains in our hemisphere.

It is a privledge to be able to work in behalf of what I discovered when I was a Young Pup in 1988. As long as there is breath in me, this philosophy holds...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    I'm gonna quote this guy again, to make my point of posting clear,

I am not advocating a Sport vs Commercial fight, I believe there is tremendous "Sustainable Harvesting of Fish Available" in Alaska and will be for the foreseeable future, we have got to be able to share it all around, the value of both Commercial and Sport harvesting is too great on both ends to waste time argueing that one or the other should have precedence, we should not waste time with this argument.

Also I am a big believer in the current management strategies for Sustainability that both the State and the Feds(maybe a little less on this end due to political influence of the big dollars as quoted above) but I believe the Fisheries are Very Well managed in these waters.
    That being Said,

My Point is that somewhere down the line We All Have a Voice in recognizing that maybe the history and current facts indicate that Trawling is a very questionable method of efficiently harvesting fish, Numbers vs. Quality/Value to the entire community, it just doesn't make sense.
    At what point will they (the Trawlers even with their tremendous influence in the political realm, as Accurately quoted above) have shown their true colors in the way they cannot control something as destructive as bycatch of a Top Value fish with the end result being, that Our Voices and the politics of the day have to admit,

Enough is Enough

Well stated...

Rosenberg/Florida

Welcome, everyone, to where we were more than two ago regarding king bycatch in the Bering Sea fisheries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast