Thread: To Peru By Canoe

Default To Peru By Canoe

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this guy before but he is headed for Peru by canoe. He is planning to head down the Atlantic Coast to the Amazon and up river to Peru in a 22 foot freighter. Here is his blog http://blog.billshaw.org/
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

this will be good to follow SID

Wow, what an adventure. He just past by me on the coast of NC. I think that it would have been interesting to meet him and offer any assistance. Not very familuar with blogs. Tried to find a way to comment but was unable to. Hope that he starts sharing some pictures of his journey and that it remains a safe one. Can't help but admire a guy like that.

Has anyone figured out a way to email this Bill Shaw ?

John Boykin

I wouldn't mind running with him for a few days.

John Boykin

Years ago I read a book called "Paddle to the Amazon" about a guy and his sons who paddled down the Mississippi river to the gulf of Mexico, along the coast of central america,up some river. And finally down the Amazon to Belem. Looks like I'll have to find that book and re-read it. I remember one part of the book where they tried to go through the Panama canal and some govt. official wouldn't allow it because he didn't think their canoe was seaworthy LOL.

What an andventure.
    We all need to realize ,, that now is the time to go and do..
    if we wait to long,..... time will become our enemy and our bucket lists will be unfinished.
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Upon reading his blog wondering how the trip went, he only made it to Texas. In his blog, he seemed too fearful of Mexico and Central America. Might have been for the best, a lot of drug violence down there.

It's a **** shame narco terrorists and banditos would present such a threat that would stop him when Mother Nature did not. I had planned a motorcycle trip to South America a few years back and was delayed due to some health issues. I watched the violence down south and at that time I was confident that the US/Mexican government would put a stop to the cartels like they did in Columbia. I am clearly disappointed in the previous and this administrations lack of interest in stopping the flow of drugs and illegals and helping our neighbor with the problems down there. Now I must agree that it is not worth getting killed over a trip which would have been an adventure for me. Wife is happier too.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

It's hard to help them when their government and police forces are equally corrupt and intertwined into the drug violence, trafficking, and corruption.

And that's just the US!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Gentlman Bill Shaws blog is from a year ago and as far as I know he ended his trip at Corpus Cristi Tx, My good friend John Boykin meet up with Bill last year some where south of New Orleans and they traveled together for awhile and last I had heard John talked Bill out of going the rest of the way due to there was no to know if gas or supplies would be available and safety was the othe major issue once Bill was along the Mexican coast travel would become very dangerous if John Boykin is still folowing this forum I know that he has Bill 's email address in Nova Scotia
    Pat