Thread: Remington 7mm Mag, using 140gr Ultra Bullet on Elk Size Game?

Default Remington 7mm Mag, using 140gr Ultra Bullet on Elk Size Game?

Good Evening

I was able to pickup a large quanity of Remington ammo for an excellent price at Wally World.

The ammo is Remington's 7mm Rem Mag in the 140gr Ultra bullet. Has anyone used this bullet on Elk size game. What were the results?

Thanks
    AuP

For "elk sized game" a 160 or at least 150 gr bullet would be a better choice, but more important is how it shoots in your rifle. A properly placed 140 gr bullet will certainly kill the size game you reference.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Killed 2 with 160 grainers. They never left my sight. Thats what I would go with again. If I was forced to use 140 grainers, I wouldn't loose any sleep about elk or smaller game. Not sure what would happen if it was a direct shoulder shot at longer ranges though. If nothing else, you got a flat shooting gun for deer. Good excuse to give em a test drive. Best of luck.

Concur

For elk.........160gr is the ticket in the 7mm Mag

Nosler Accubond or Partition

and most non dangerous game in Alaska
    Alaska

i have killed 2 bulls with a .264 wm 140 gr factory. blew out heart both times.
    full body contact with ground, up and running approx 75- and 90 feet each time, respectively.
    place shots, as always.
    both times the target distance was around 75 yards.
    BUT, the second time sure shocked the system....rib cage not salvageable.

i LOVE elk ribs....sob....sob.

Every elk I have harvested has been with a 7mm and 140gr Nosler Partition. All penetrated and never have recovered one.

I haven't used anything lighter than 160 Partition in the 7 mag, but that's because mine shoots it so well and I got a bunch of them cheap. I whacked two Rockies with a 270 and 130 grain Partitions years ago, and the issue was never in doubt. The "long runner" managed about 50 feet after the shot and the other was DRT. The first was at 160-170 yards and the second 200-210. I don't know the Ultra bullet, but if it's reasonably well built, I'd expect the same performance from a 7 mag with the 140. Elk die easy with a decent bullet in the lungs.

shot moose and elk with 140's in the 7Flavor

It was wierd, when i walked up to them and asked them how that bullet worked they just sat there stare'n at me and didnt answer.