Thread: 40 mile bou winter hunt

Default 40 mile bou winter hunt

So does anyone know what the quota will be for the winter 40 mile hunt. I heard they didn't reach quota for the fall hunt so I'm assuming they will just add those on. I am hoping to go, unless they do another one of those insane 24 or 48 hour openers. If they do that I am not likely to go and run a shooting gallery or a chance at a bou. I would rather they just delay the opener until the bou have thinned out some. Also wondering how many others are planning on going, and if they will go for the opener or wait a few weeks?

Thanks Andrew

I think I'm going to do it I have sleds now. I think it won't be anything like the early hunts lot less people with sleds,everyone seems to have a 4 wheeler. But I could be wrong though and it could be a zoo.

I think I might try to go. I have a buddy hear in ER that is interested and we both have sleds now. I need to do some research on it to figure out the best course of action. I need to get some meat and seeing some new country would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    I think I'm going to do it I have sleds now. I think it won't be anything like the early hunts lot less people with sleds,everyone seems to have a 4 wheeler. But I could be wrong though and it could be a zoo.
    No its a zoo, More people then the fall hunt crazy but fun

I would have to check my #'s, but I believe there was a surplus of about 150 animals that would be added to the quota. Hope it isn't a zoo in the winter hunt like it has been in the past. I'll begin hunting it in November to hopefully avoid that.

thanks Northway... Yeah its been a nightmare the last three years twoo years crazy, and one year canceled. I'm hoping fish and game just postpones rather than try crazy short openers. You would think they learned there lesson on those, but... Anyway, it can be fun if the hunt is spread out and lasts a month or two, in years past the winter hunt wasn't so popular but lately it has been worse than the steese. I need the meat bad but I almost wish they made the road no hunting and made everyone be at least a mile off the road or something. at least that would spread things out a little.

I would like to see it a "bull" only hunt . That would make it last longer. Yes, we worked hard to avoid the fall "slaughter" but need to work on avoiding the winter one also. Would be nice to see the season last longer than a day as winter hunting is quite fun even when it is -40.

I agree I love the winter hunts, and I think bull only would be doable even in winter, just don't shoot it if it has antlers. and if you are unsure maybe they could try and get closer than 500 yards of spray and pray shooting!!! Winter hunts are some of the most relaxing and peaceful for me, it makes meat salvage way easier, and for me it's a lot easier since I'm a disabled vet. I can cover more ground on a machine than on foot. I wish I could still hike everywhere, but thats not reality for me anymore. I only feed my kids meat we harvest so the winter harvests are critical to my freezer. Well I gues we will see if F&G learned anything from the last few winters?

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    I would have to check my #'s, but I believe there was a surplus of about 150 animals that would be added to the quota. Hope it isn't a zoo in the winter hunt like it has been in the past. I'll begin hunting it in November to hopefully avoid that.
    The reg says the winter hunt starts 1 December. Anyhow I know a guy who has done this hunt a couple of times and been sucessful so I need to hit him up. I think another good hunt would be the white mtn hunt as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    The reg says the winter hunt starts 1 December. Anyhow I know a guy who has done this hunt a couple of times and been sucessful so I need to hit him up. I think another good hunt would be the white mtn hunt as well.
    You are right, the "state" season starts Dec. 1, the federal season starts Nov. 1.

I think I may go, because I have had a very slow year, and the freezer is scary close to empty! Sucks to be low on meat, and game meat is all we eat. It will be a zoo, so if you're looking for anything else, don't go! Only bull would be good. I think the fall hunt was bull only. How does the Federal thing work?

You are right, the "state" season starts Dec. 1, the federal season starts Nov. 1.
    Oh well best of luck! When I retire I need to talk my wife into moving to a area that gives out federal tags but the chances of that are slim to none, pigs will fly first.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    I think I may go, because I have had a very slow year, and the freezer is scary close to empty! Sucks to be low on meat, and game meat is all we eat. It will be a zoo, so if you're looking for anything else, don't go! Only bull would be good. I think the fall hunt was bull only. How does the Federal thing work?
    Federal season is open on federal lands to qualified users. Areas are limited, so must be in the federal corridors. Most years it is hit or miss, so never a sure thing. State hunt could be a zoo. I think it will be an either sex hunt, but don't quote me on that.

Federal season is open on federal lands to qualified users. Areas are limited, so must be in the federal corridors. Most years it is hit or miss, so never a sure thing. State hunt could be a zoo. I think it will be an either sex hunt, but don't quote me on that.
    State hunt will be a zoo....count on that. If the bou are in, the hoards will follow. Oh well, freezers need to be filled! I've heard of the federal hunt, but figured it didn't apply to me, so I never looked into it. Is it for residents of that particular area, or can individuals through out ther state qualify? Thanks for the info!