Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maule or 180?

Question Maule or 180?

Well I have had my mind made up when the house sells I am getting a Maule.
    It's price. STOL, the 3rd door and it should hold 2 with gear comfortable,got to love the door and window views, did I mention the price?
    Well while running around Anchorage the other day I ran into a man who say's naw you don't want a Maule, what you want is a 180, Cessna from what I gathered. He went on to tell me the cables in the Maule are the same as a lawnmower, it's built in a garage and so on and that I would be much better off with the 180.
    Well he handed me his card and say's when your ready to buy give him a call as he knows most of the aircraft in the area for sale and that he could check one out for me before purchase.
    Won't mention his name but his card say's CFI,A&I and IA.
    He seemed to be a knowledgeable fellow so of course I have been looking around on different forums and such, found this seems to be a debate on other sites.
    Apart from the Maule being fabric, less expensive and some say the 180 flys a better when loaded, i can't see much of a difference.
    Am I missing something substantial here?
    I am pretty much looking for a pick up truck in the air kind of plane to eventually do some lake hopping or off runway landings for the wife and I to do some back country adventures and of course hunting and fishing.
    So what gives? did I just meet a guy who has had bad experiances with this aircraft as he wasn't trying to sell me anything, just insisted I would like a 180 better.
    It's my thinking I would like the extra 20K or more in my pocket for what seems like minor sacrifices.

Default Montana Bob

As a professional Alaskan pilot with over 18000 hours, I would suggest you seriously reconsider your choice of aircraft. Personally, I would take the rattiest 180 over the tightest Maule anyday of the week. I have but a few hours in Maules, but several thousand in 180's, 185's, 206's, 207's and 208's.

What do you expect to be able to do in the airplane...having no flying experience?

I have soloed some years ago and was in a cramped 150.
    Again what I am looking to do was in my previous post and don't wish anything fancy.
    Thanks for your comments

You have two issues to consider. Flying versus owning. Flying either will be a handful for a new pilot. You have an awlul lot to learn about flying before you'll be any good. Owning an airplane is a seperate issue. I'd rather have a good Maule than a bad 180, but equal for equal I'd much rather have a 180. For investment value I'd want a 180. Initial purchase price probably favors the Maule, but airplanes don't necessarily devalue like other vehicles. A 180 will maintain it's value better than most planes. Ease on maintenance favors the Cessna. Are you considering insurance? You're picking two expensive models to insure. There's a reason, too.

All that said, I always suggest finding a smaller, slower airplane and taking a few years to learn how to fly. By that time you'll know the answers to your own questions.

I am not nuts about Maules.
    I flying an M-7 on floats when the fuel distribution spider started to suck air around a bad fitting.
    So it suddenly became a 3 cylinder plane.
    That is when I discovered that Maules will not glide. Stubby wings and lots of power is how they fly. They sort of lawn dart when the blades slow down.

Call the insurance guys and say you want to insure a Maule and that you have less than 200 hours in one. See what they say.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

That said, there are also a LOT of beat to crud C-180s out there. Some of them do not jump right out of a lake either. (a big engined maule will get out of the water faster) And as you have noted the prices are NUTS...

A C-185 is better for floats,((more power,,= good)) but you would have to sell your kidneys on the black market to afford one.

Will you only go to large lakes, if so a C-170 or 172 with a 180 to 220 horse will work. Or a 160 horse Pacer on floats.

For small lakes a C-90 powered PA-11, a 150 to 180 horse PA-18, or 180 horse PA-14 works great. Or a Husky if you can afford one. They really do work well on floats.

If you can find an old Aeronica Sedan with a 180 horse they make a good floatplane and a good taildragger. They are not very common.

An up-powered Stenson will work on floats as well.

Start hanging out over on the Supercub.org site and check out the floatplane pilots association site.

If you get down to the Homer area ths summer I can show you some float flying...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default Thanks for the info

Thanks for the informative info.
    The other sites I have been checking regularly are Aero AK, Back Country,Tail Wheel, Maule Pilots group and trying to pick up info.
    I have been on a few back country hunts in BC and was flown in a 150 and 172 both with floats. The 150 was a noisey cramped ride and the 172 was great but it is out of my budget.
    I do realize Insurance will be through the roof and am paying quite a bit as a Contractor and am sure it will run upwards of 5K or 6K.
    I just thought renting would be a pain and a loss of money when I could own.
    The way I was thinking 20 Hrs a Month, for 6 months @ say 125hr. Thats around 15K and just hate to see that money gone with nothing but time and experiance to show for it.
    Thats why I come here and ask my questions as silly as some might think they are, as you guys have all the experiance with these things and maybe you can point out things I am missing or have not thought of.
    Anyway thanks for taking the time to post and to give me some new things to consider.

If you have a passion to fly, you'll find a way. If the budget limits you to a Champ, T-Craft, or Stinson and you find a good one you can afford, buy it and fly it. You may find complete satisfaction. You may get 2-foot-itis airplane style and feel the need to move up. To have a flying Champ while waiting for the perfect deal to appear on something better isn't a bad place to be.

You say you're looking at a Maule but a 172 is out of your budget? Beware of cheap Maules. Deferred maintenance isn't something you want to inherit. And don't underestimate the fun of a 145hp 172. They fly well, they're inexpensive to operate, inexpensive to insure, perform pretty darn well for what a new pilot should be doing, and the resale value will always be good. 172's are the most popular small airplane ever built, and yet, I think they're the most underrated airplane around. I have great respect for the 172. And very fond memories.

[quote=Mr. Pid;64715]
    You say you're looking at a Maule but a 172 is out of your budget[?quote]
    Opps my bad it was a 182.

Default good advice here..

I would really look into finding someone to give you a ride in a Hawk xp, Stinson, or one of my personal faves..the Aeronca Sedan. You said you wanted a pickup truck in the sky? both the Sedan and Stinson safe, comfy cruisers.

Thanks very good read. Lots of opinions there.
    I think I might go ahead and take cubpilots advice and see if I can't get into some other planes and see how I like them before making any definite plans.

I like the 4door Maule. I am not a pilot but I think a 4door would be nice. I am learning to fly now. Maule is coming out with a diesel that runs on Jet A and regular diesel.

Default Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by Formerly Montana Bob View Post
    Well I have had my mind made up when the house sells I am getting a Maule.
    It's price. STOL, the 3rd door and it should hold 2 with gear comfortable,got to love the door and window views, did I mention the price?
    Well while running around Anchorage the other day I ran into a man who say's naw you don't want a Maule, what you want is a 180, Cessna from what I gathered. He went on to tell me the cables in the Maule are the same as a lawnmower, it's built in a garage and so on and that I would be much better off with the 180.
    Well he handed me his card and say's when your ready to buy give him a call as he knows most of the aircraft in the area for sale and that he could check one out for me before purchase.
    Won't mention his name but his card say's CFI,A&I and IA.
    He seemed to be a knowledgeable fellow so of course I have been looking around on different forums and such, found this seems to be a debate on other sites.
    Apart from the Maule being fabric, less expensive and some say the 180 flys a better when loaded, i can't see much of a difference.
    Am I missing something substantial here?
    I am pretty much looking for a pick up truck in the air kind of plane to eventually do some lake hopping or off runway landings for the wife and I to do some back country adventures and of course hunting and fishing.
    So what gives? did I just meet a guy who has had bad experiances with this aircraft as he wasn't trying to sell me anything, just insisted I would like a 180 better.
    It's my thinking I would like the extra 20K or more in my pocket for what seems like minor sacrifices.
    You will never, NEVER be disappointed with the Cessna 180. You wouldn't be disappointed in either the Cessna 185 or their C-206 (even with its electric flaps) either. As for the Maules, I think their wings have too much chord, but not enough span, first of all. I've never been fond of their directional stability, which I consider about as poor as the Piper Tri-Pacers and original Pacers (upon which the Maule was based, I think).

The C-180 has excellent visibility, great handling, is forgiving of a lot of rough handling, and is truly economical.

As they say, "Try it --- you'll like it!"

I couldnt agree more Grizz. I have flown a couple M5's and an M7 as well, and they have the same "short coupled-itis" that the Pacer seems to have. All are good performers, especially the high powered ones, but one best be prepared when the power goes bye bye and youre in a rather precarious position.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 1 View Post
    The C-180 has excellent visibility, great handling, is forgiving of a lot of rough handling, and is truly economical.
    As they say, "Try it --- you'll like it!"
    Being of average intelligence on most things but not on the plane subject, No one has said nothing bad about the 180 but have seen a few negitives on the Maules.
    So I guess I will need to spend some time in some of these planes to make an informative decison.
    Thanks

Bob,

If you're an average new pilot with access to your own plane you'll fly about 100 hours a year for the first few years. To me that translates to being relatively incompetent for a few years as you gain experience. I don't think it's important to have the biggest baddest plane during those initial years. What you need is to fly as much as possible to facilitate becoming a better pilot. If something less expensive to purchase, easier to maintain, and cheaper to operate helps allow you to fly those hours....you benefit. You'll be more likely to fly a Cub than a 180 on an average day when your goal is to just spend an hour flying, and that's what new guys usually do.

When fuel prices peaked last summer I figured the operating cost of a 180/185 was nearing $100.00 per hour in fuel and oil alone, without any other maintenance allowances considered. That tends to curtail joy riding.

I currently work for Maule Mods Inc. Rebuilding and modifying maules. I would be able to answer any questions you have about the Maule. I will also be using my Maule M-5 for instruction in Talkeetna this summer. Let me know how I can help.
    MauleCFI

Default Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by MauleCFI View Post
    I currently work for Maule Mods Inc. Rebuilding and modifying maules. I would be able to answer any questions you have about the Maule. I will also be using my Maule M-5 for instruction in Talkeetna this summer. Let me know how I can help.
    MauleCFI
    I will have to look you up this Summer.
    Thanks again

Default Go easy on the Maule!!!!!!

Mont. Bob.......wow aren't we an opinionated bunch of pilots....sounds like ford and chevy guys.....first off I would say I think you are wise for checking things out before you buy any airplane.....second is that every plane has it's pros and cons.......all of us love things about our planes and wish we could change a few things as well.....that said I don't know how many of the guys responding have owned a Maule or flown one a great deal....I don't care what your in when that engine goes out....your sucking wind!!!!! I've owned two Maules and have over 300 hours in them....on wheels floats and skiis.....I had an M4 and currently own an M5 235.....I will also say I have never owned a cessna but have flown them a great deal....nice planes I would own one any time in fact I would love a 185....anyway back to the Maule...it's all what you get used to...I would say they are easy to fly...mine hauls a great load...and I can get into some great places....small gravel bars .....small lakes......just like any airplane you must know the planes limits and not exceed them....and as far as being economical......they all suck....this game costs money and lots of it....if that scares you...it should....don't buy a plane...decide what things are most important to you and move forward....there will always be someone to disagree with you and tell you how bad your plane is and how great theirs is....its the way people are....As for me...I really enjoy my Maule...it allows me to have greater performance at a lower initial cost than getting into a 180....I think it's a great learning airplane....plus when you are ready to expand your limits it will let you do it without buying a new plane......the only plane that can compare to it is the cub....but then you can only take two of you..the Maule gives you the ability to take 4 when you want to....people say that on floats it's a two place plane.....bunk...that sucker flies.......it's fast....it climbs awesome....it flies slow...and all in all is a great plane...Anyway...good luck.....
    Todd

Default Maule

I agree with Todd. There is nothing wrong with a good Maule. My dad owned an M4 with a 220, and it did everything he asked of it. I've flown in 180's and while I think they're great planes, I don't think there's anything wrong with the Maule. The type of plane depends on what you want to use it for. You should definatly test the planes you are looking at and decide what flies best for you.

-Eric

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast