Thread: Boat for Halibut and shark fishing

Default Boat for Halibut and shark fishing

I want a boat that can go out and fish for halibut and shark but still can be used on the lakes as well. So I guess what would the best size boat that can handle both ideas?

I would advise you to get out on a few boats of various size and design. This will give you the best answer to your question due to prices and personal preferances. I would recommend at least taking a ride when the weather is not the best as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kantill View Post
    I want a boat that can go out and fish for halibut and shark but still can be used on the lakes as well. So I guess what would the best size boat that can handle both ideas?
    The honest answer is there is not the perfect boat for both ocean and freshwater, especially since many Ak lakes are not overly large and almost all are natural lakes. I have run everything from 12 footers in the Great Lakes, 16 and 18 footers on the Oceans but none I would call comfortable on the big water. Something in the 24 foot range would be a pretty good boat for most Ocean fishing but a little large for most Ak lakes. I would get something for the big water and look for a decent used 16 footer for lake running or something a little smaller that you could use your kicker from your blue water boat.

When you speak of shark fishing remember you are taking on an ocean predator, with skin like sandpaper, teeth like razors, weighing on average of 350 pounds. The boat is a good consideration but is only a small part of the required gear.

Two boats of different sizes would be the key ticket but...depending on resources i.e. $$$. For the past 17 years I have been fishing out of my 20' Fishrite (I've owned two) with a Yamaha 50 & 8 hp motors. I've used the boat in Cook Inlet, Katchemak Bay, Seward, Prince William Sound, Kenai River, lakes in Alaska as well as lakes in YT & BC, Cananda. I have caught all species of salmon, dolly varden/lake/rainbow trout and salt water fish to include a 312 pound halibut as well as a 250 pound salmon shark. Of course here's the key ticket... You have to pick your days. If it's rough you don't go out. Since becoming a Senior citizen, we have upgraded to a 22' Hewescraft Ocean Pro ET because of the cabin and creature comforts. Better fro the grandkids too... Good luck on your decision. Will put the Fishrite up for sale this spring....

Thanks for the info guys, and I was thinking of needing two boats for this. I know in salt water the bigger the better, just was hoping for insight from someone who has done this before. Also I am in no rush either since I have not moved up there yet.

Buy the ranger's rig when it comes up for sale; otherwise a 18' Klamath/Bayrunner with a fourstroke & kicker (50 hp main if you fish the Kenai river).

Quote Originally Posted by kantill View Post
    Have you considered the North River Seahawk.....18/42 degree deadrise? With an inboard diesel the boat should have a range well over 300miles. The hull design of this boat should handle rough seas well and the jet would still allow a guy to run the rivers. Check it out at http://northriverboats.com/boatmodel...wkinboard.html.

If you gonna be catching the big ones you beter buy a BAMF. This is the newest 30 Fish-around. powered with twin Mercury Verado's 45 knots top speed. There's 2 other models the 25 Alaskan and the 30' Alaskan (comming soon 2011).
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think he's looking for something to run in both PWS and inland lakes/rivers. There's plenty of big ones to be had inside the sound for a guy who has time and or knows where to look. For sharks you really don't need a AK Gulf boat either. But if you want to go big, go for a 30' Almar Sounder walk around like the one pictured or cuddy cabin with twin FNM250hp diesels and Bravo drives. You'll burn 40-50 gallons less in fuel over outboards on 200+ mile round trip. Comparably priced and custom built to meet your specific needs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would go with an 17-20 foot RIB. Even if the weather comes up and catches you off guard you will probably survive it. With an aluminum hulled version and a jet foot for the outboard you could do ok in the rivers as well. Lakes would be fine with either jet or prop depending on the lake.

Charterboat Operator

I am in agreement w/ Big Jim. though there is no perfect all around boat, the only one that i have enjoyably been in that can handle every piece of water up here is an 18' klamath. no way that it is the "perfect" boat for all situations, but if you are smart/safe it can handle any water be it stagnant, flowing or salty.
    PB

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    I am in agreement w/ Big Jim. though there is no perfect all around boat, the only one that i have enjoyably been in that can handle every piece of water up here is an 18' klamath. no way that it is the "perfect" boat for all situations, but if you are smart/safe it can handle any water be it stagnant, flowing or salty.
    PB
    This reminds me of something I was told when I started boat shopping. "A boat that is best suited for everything won't be particularly good at anything"

It sure seems to be a true statement from what I have seen.

My buddy and I ran for 3 years all over Prince William Sound, Big lake, Nancy Lake and a few times on the Deshka with a 17 foot 1992 aluminum Spectrum fish-and-ski w/ a 06 yammy 75 on the back, it has a decently deep V, windshield, and a fabric cabin.

It was pretty comfy for us two fatsos and our gear and it could handle fairly snotty weather.

Heh, its for sale too
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Thanks Halibutgrove for all the great choices and thanks Maast as well but just in the research stage. I will make sure I check on the forum when I am ready to buy. I also might hit some of you up when I get ready to go due too I have never fish saltwater before so I will need alot of help on gear. Again thanks to all of you.

Apperently all you need is a kayak..............

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ch-sharks.html
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I'll pass on that one, crazy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Apperently all you need is a kayak..............

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ch-sharks.html
    Haven't been many since attempt this technique....they still required transport by powerboat to get them their. They would have paddled a couple days trying to just get to the fishing grounds otherwise. :-)