Thread: Marten in the Interior

Default Marten in the Interior

I am new to trapping and have to take it easy this year due to some injuries. Getting out on the sled will be very limited. I was wondering if it is possible to find Marten in the out-skirts of town in areas I could ski or snowshoe to? Not looking for specifics or anyone to give away secrets, just wondering if I would be wasting my time or not. I know plenty of areas with TONS of Hare's, Red Squirels and Vols.

On second note... Anyone know where the HECK to get a 55 or 33 gallon drum? I can't find any kind of metal container big enough to dye more than 4 or 5 traps!

The Interior is quite a big area you might want to verify which outskirts you are talking about ? Fairbanks North pole Fox Delta Salcha? There is snow now look for prints put out some sets(when the season opens of course) see if you connect. Also if you are targeting marten I assume you are talking 110's and 120's for the traps you are talking about dying. For marten and 110's 120's I dont do anything to them as well as many other people I know straight out of the box and to the line they dont seem to mind the scent and they will probably get a nice coat of rust but that will be ok.

Thanks for the info on the traps! I have some 120's that I just cleaned the oil off and had planned on dying. I do have some #4 coils I was gonna set for lynx and pretty sure they should be dyed? I live very close to Fox and the pipeline. Just about every other day I go hiking throught the woods looking for tracks and sign. Due to snow conditions being crusty I have had little luck with narrowing down specific species. Tons of Hare tracks. Been seeing good numbers of Ground and Red squirels. I know Marten like to prey on these but I don't know if I am mis-interpreting the tracks or there are just no Marten around here. I have also seen one Lynx on my street (only house here and long road) 3 times this year and his tracks are still present even in the last few weeks.

I know people that are willing to let me tag along on their lines and I'm dying to, but I have a bum wrist and cannot ride a sled for more than maybe an hour. This is the main reason I am trying to stay so close to town.
    Last edited by AKPyron; 10-23-2010 at 13:59. Reason: left out information

pm me...i might be able to help you out in the area ur talkin bout
    They say its unsafe to own a gun, I say its unsafe to have only one!!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AKPyron View Post
    Thanks for the info on the traps! I have some 120's that I just cleaned the oil off and had planned on dying. I do have some #4 coils I was gonna set for lynx and pretty sure they should be dyed? I live very close to Fox and the pipeline. Just about every other day I go hiking throught the woods looking for tracks and sign. Due to snow conditions being crusty I have had little luck with narrowing down specific species. Tons of Hare tracks. Been seeing good numbers of Ground and Red squirels. I know Marten like to prey on these but I don't know if I am mis-interpreting the tracks or there are just no Marten around here. I have also seen one Lynx on my street (only house here and long road) 3 times this year and his tracks are still present even in the last few weeks.

I know people that are willing to let me tag along on their lines and I'm dying to, but I have a bum wrist and cannot ride a sled for more than maybe an hour. This is the main reason I am trying to stay so close to town.
    i used to have a place out 15 mile on the Elliott and have seen martin around the area you are talking... your success will vary on your tenacity to get some done the road system around there is HEAVILY trapped. In fact, member Wiso, and i found several sets already in place (not set) in getting ready for the season at the end of the bull season. as they were new unrusted traps i am sure it was preseason work being done... good luck with it... but don't be surprised if you not only run across other trappers and gear who normally trap there... but if you have low success as well..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks, I know it really sucks, but I'm having problems with a previous surgery and have to have my wrist fused next month so its gonna be rough no matter what.