Thread: Ak Fishing News: ADFG Considering Limited Entry for Fishing Guides

Anchorage, Alaska

Arrow Ak Fishing News: ADFG Considering Limited Entry for Fishing Guides

This news clip is from Alaska Fishing News. Discussion is welcome, but these robot generated news threads are not monitored by the webmaster.

The Alkaska Division of Sport Fisheries is considering the option of a limited entry system for sport fishing guides and is looking for public comment.

On the ADFG website they have written this:

"The first step in this process would require that limited entry become part of the management "tool box" through legislative action. This is followed by the establishment of a Sport Fish Limited Entry commission or panel through which the details of a sport fish charter/guide "permit" would be outlined. Details and the criteria of a limited entry program may be managed by ADF&G, CFEC or a newly established Sport Fish Entry commission.

ADF&G has established a Limited Entry Task Force represented by both freshwater and saltwater guides from around the state. This group is tasked with working as liaisons between ADF&G and the industry. In an early December meeting, the task force agreed that ADF&G should have limited entry as a management tool and would further assist in drafting the legislative language that would be introduced to the legislature in 2007."

You can read the entire special issue page here >>>

Read the individual article on Alaska Fishing News...

We welcome news tips that are useful to the community. Please send tips and links to complete stories by email to

SE Alaska

I am opposed to programs that grant fish or fishing rights to the guides. I am in favor of programs that allocate or otherwise protect the fishing interests of non-guided sport fishermen, other interests, and guided clients. I have heard for years from guides that they are not "fishermen". "We are taxi services".
    I believe them. Allocating fishing rights to guides would be comparable to limiting entry in the salmon fishery to the tenders. Allocate the fishing rights to the "fishermen" (clients and non-guided sport harvesters) and create a situation where the guides have to compete in price, service, etc. to be hired.
    Let the clients buy, trade, sell, and otherwise decide where the best value is for the resource.
    I hear a lot about guides getting the support of the vast number of their "clients" but I don't see evidence of them fighting for allocating any fish to the "clients".
    The great stength of the Alaska State limited entry program was that it allocated the fish to the "fishermen". Lets do the same for the sport fisherman.

Does anyone have the link that works to the entire proposal on the net? I can't find it on the F& G website

Nothing has even been close to being proposed right now, they are waiting for some direction from the new administration. Most are jumping the gun when commenting on this issue. Right now all they have are a few guideing principles.