Thread: Popof Island (Sand Point) Bison

Default Popof Island (Sand Point) Bison

I used to fish out of Sand point way back in the early-mid 80's. I know there's a herd of Bison on the island, but never hear of anyone hunting them. I seem to recall a picture of one shot recently ~ maybe on the Sportsman's Wharehouse braggin board? I know Indian Valley has shoulder mount of a sand point bison. Anyone know the history of this hunt? From this article it sounds like an island subsistence hunt.

http://www.turnagaintimes.com/curren...ins-bison.html
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I was just asking about this about a month ago when weathered in there for a few days, talking with the Harbormaster in Sand Point it seemed he mentioned there are some hunts that are "sold" or "available to outsiders through using their guide etc." similar to what happens with the herd on Kodiak, privately owned but you can get in there for certain $$/lb.

Wish I'd have asked further but as I am not a "Pay big for the hunt" type I kind of wrote it off when I heard that. They are really cool folks out there in Sand Point, it would probably be worth calling the Corp. or even the Harbormaster in town there to ask more.

Seems if there are still 150 animals they might be allowing more than just their own subsistence needs to hunters ?? It's real cool country out there, might be a fun hunt. No trees to speak of though, pretty windy, not for a lightweight I don't think, and if you hire a Shumagins Islands Native as a guide, those guys are some of the Toughest I've ever met, the Real Deal Hard Core Fisherman
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

...might contact the Shumagin (Native) Corporaton (907 383-5356) in Sand Point for info concerning them bison....

Talked with a Sand Point guy today in town, he said they have twenty permits, ten go to Corporation members, ten go up for sale to outsiders. Not sure he had the numbers officially but he mentioned like $1000 for the access to a Shumagins Bison.

man that's a pretty good price for all that Top of the Line Meat, eh?
    Anyone else have experience with this hunt?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Talked with a Sand Point guy today in town, he said they have twenty permits, ten go to Corporation members, ten go up for sale to outsiders. Not sure he had the numbers officially but he mentioned like $1000 for the access to a Shumagins Bison.

man that's a pretty good price for all that Top of the Line Meat, eh?
    Anyone else have experience with this hunt?
    I spent 6 summers out of sand point in the early 80's, fishing on a purse seiner. Saw the heard several times. They've got some serious hair on them, putting up with that foresaken weather they have out there. Not the easiest place to get to, imagine you'd pay some good $$ to get the meat back to anchorage or wherever.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I worked in Sand Point for many years myself, the herd there is doing well from what I know. Here is information about this years hunt - http://apradio.org/notice-shumgain-c...-buffalo-hunt/
    It is really geared toward local subsistence but if you look at the bottom of the press release it says five additional buffalo are available for $5000 each, first come, first serve.