Thread: walkie-talkies..any good ones out there?

Default walkie-talkies..any good ones out there?

I am searching for a decent 2-way radio set to use hunting in the mountains. the problems I usually run into is "they work only on a line of sight basis" so, if your partner in on the other side of the mountain, forget it.. Has anyone had a decent experience with these? Thanks for any responses

I've got some that I am going to try out on my next hunt, I'll let you know how they work.

Be ware, you cannot use them to locate game or aid in taking game (as per the regs).

to my knowledge all hand held radios are pretty much line of sight due to their low power output and the frequency they are licensed for. You can try the GMRS, but keep in mind you need an FCC license to use those higher frequencies.

To obtain the best results in hand held radio you are going to have to spend some money for VHF/UHF stuff. However, due to their low power in a hand held device they will still have issues going through or around a mountain.

Rhino 120 GPS/radio. Multipurpose and very good product

I have the rhino 520hcx it has a 5w radio and it also has gps as well it works really good however as stated above just about any handheld is only line of sight. This was also said above but a radio can not be used to locate or track game. Only for general talking and emergency use only

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

Garmin 530X here...same as 520 with a couple more add ons...works great...

Garmin 530 HCX which has the high sensivtity GPS receiver, almost never loses its signal.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

The only way you can reliably talk around a mountain is to use a repeater that can see both handheld radios. I know under certain conditions frequencies and location you do not need a repeater. What you are asking a handheld radio to do is not reasonable.

Just get a large coil of string and a couple tin cans....

I haven't had much luck with walkie-talkies when big obstacles separate the two devices.