Thread: Time is of the essence (reports)

Default Time is of the essence (reports)

Hey guys, time is of the essence we are winding down on the 2010 duck season and some of our post is letís say kind of lame. We need some reports to come in, we donít need to know anyone's special spot but letís communicate on duck movement from Fairbanks , Minto Flats, Delta, Bethel and others I'm pretty sure they are done. We need to include our area around Wasilla, Jimís Lake area as well. As of 22 Oct we have open water in the Susitna Flats and was reported thatís lots of ducks were around but as of yesterday those ducks were not to be found. Friends went out by air to try to confirm Tuesdays report. The Geese have departed Ft Richardson two days ago. Geese have not been seen in Anchorage since Tuesday. Anchorage lakes have few Ducks present. Anyone been to Goose Bay? Cottonwood Creek during the week? Is Duck Lake opened up? Pass on the info.

Great post....but seems most are tightbilled around here... I will tell you I would think DL is going to be open to an extent..Most of the marsh is frozen. I will be there and post on what I see after tomorrow's hunt. I might even run to Coffee Point after the hunt and see what I can see from there...but I agree we need to push info to kill ducks.

I know there are diehards like myself on here that are willing to travel to kill birds...I will hunt the river till there is not another duck around.
    Thanks... keep the info coming on the birds.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

What is DL? Is that duck lake? Is that little lake at Palmer hay flats at the end of the atv trail?

No, Duck Lake is down Rabbit Slough must have boat. The end of the trail that is Cottonwood creek. That particular slough has decline that last two years. No real food for the ducks deeper water occasional divers come in

The park geese are all over the Library this week. Wednesday the lawn was full and towards the evening many flocks were coming in to feed on the lawn. The storm drain retention pond there at the Cuddy Family Park was filled with about 100 mallards playing and washing and waiting for someone to feed them some wonder bread. I have not driven past Westchester Lagoon, but now that the construction on 9th ave is completed for the winter I will take a look. The winter park duck population is probably starting to mass up.

With the onset of partial ice up and the full moon the non park ducks will be looking to leave, or at least do a lot of traveling at night rather than in the early mornings.

Duckhunter01 has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.
    Hey I tried to send you a message

Anyone saying there's no geese in anchorage isn't looking at all. I see plenty every morning at work.

Thats good where and do you know location that they are hanging out at? My source said that on Tuesday he last saw them going across the inlet. He works nights that is his what he has been seeing.

The geese are roosting in town at Westchester Lagoon or across Knik Arm in goose bay, Su Flats, or coffee point. When you see geese leaving town they might not be crossing the inlet, but are heading down the inlet to the other refuges. Keep in mind that on the west side of Cook Inlet is Trading Bay refuge and it can draw a huge number of birds in since the only access is by boat from Tyonek or by plane from here or Kenai.

I typically have a flock of geese flying over my head down town near Cordova and 9th (park strip) around 730am. They go into the cemetary to feed on the grass. They are coming from across Knik Arm or from Westchester Lagoon depending on the wind direction. This year there are much fewer geese in down town that in previous years. I think the whole summer's worth of construction on 9th Ave kept them out of town and off the Park strip grass so they moved else where.

I have a duck shack an a truck in beluga, I spent last weekend over there. Geese by the thousands... Good number of ducks too...groups of ducks 50 plus moving around. I'll be on the "crowded" side of the inlet tomorrow lol btw I almost don't appriciate some one saying there's anything over on the west side of the inlet is hard to reach...I forgot to mention I have a Jon over there too sure would be nice to have a partner with a plane (hint). Since I lost mine 5 years ago I have to pay $150 to get there.

If I flew.. I would take you..... I would love to get on some geese...killing me on this side..just seems they are a hit and miss.. Have a ton of decoys and no where to put them...lol

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    I have a duck shack an a truck in beluga, I spent last weekend over there. Geese by the thousands... Good number of ducks too...groups of ducks 50 plus moving around. I'll be on the "crowded" side of the inlet tomorrow lol btw I almost don't appriciate some one saying there's anything over on the west side of the inlet is hard to reach...I forgot to mention I have a Jon over there too sure would be nice to have a partner with a plane (hint). Since I lost mine 5 years ago I have to pay $150 to get there.
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Well...I do need to use more than the 10 goose floaters I own stuck in the mud lol...

I got close to 100...and all I usually take out is about 15-20 if that... I will take about 6-8 out tomorrow and place on the ice around the ducks...we will see...should help..but man it hurts to be where they are...but nada

Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    Well...I do need to use more than the 10 goose floaters I own stuck in the mud lol...

My lips are so tight I can't talk.
    an me fungers r gtn so far so fe so fat tha t ca cant tipe

Quote Originally Posted by Wetland Retrievers View Post
    My lips are so tight I can't talk.
    an me fungers r gtn so far so fe so fat tha t ca cant tipe
    hey i know you...ive seen you over there where im talking about....and you know my dog...cooper

hunted girdwood area and got 5 mallards friday morning. saturday morning got nothing but a small moose shed. and a for warning to the person who is stashing duck decoys with 2 swan decoys at a secluded slough down there, next time i will be hunting that lake if your not there before me

Ponds still open out on Susitna Flats as of yesterday, plenty of ducks, but they aren't moving much. Hardly anyone out there. I may give it a try today.

This will sound crazy but there are still a bunch of ducks around Fairbanks. They are dry feeding in fields and sitting on the river when they want water and rest. I thought my season was done two weeks ago, but I've managed to get 8 since then.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.