Thread: Trail riders could you pass me a bird forecast. I am hoping some of

Default Trail riders could you pass me a bird forecast. I am hoping some of

you recreational riders might help me out. On your recent trips have you noticed many birds (ruffed, spruce grouse and ptarmigans) on your outings. I am looking for simple trail names, numbers and approximate locations. I am doing a project on bird numbers and was wanting help from people who are out on these trails alot more than i am. thanks

If you dont feel like posting your hotspots on the board than pm me. thanks

too funny.

WHATS "TOO FUNNY"
    I am simply trying to do a study to see if the actual bird counts are lower this year than in the past. IS there something wrong with that?

I am trying to document something to bring to the attention of the Alaska Department of Game and Fish and was just looking for others input.

By your posts you say you just moved back to AK after 12 years. Do you have some sort of previous years data? I travel a bunch on gravel side roads through the year for my business and the grouse populations seem just fine around here. In fact, I haven't seen a ruffed grouse in a couple years and I saw four this year.

I think that andweav thinks it's funny you want bird counts from specific trails because that sure sounds like a good way to get info on where to hunt.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    By your posts you say you just moved back to AK after 12 years. Do you have some sort of previous years data? I travel a bunch on gravel side roads through the year for my business and the grouse populations seem just fine around here. In fact, I haven't seen a ruffed grouse in a couple years and I saw four this year.

I think that andweav thinks it's funny you want bird counts from specific trails because that sure sounds like a good way to get info on where to hunt.
    not to mention... F&G KNOWS they run in a cycle. some years up... some years down.. you want to pattern an area... you need to be in it 14 years.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Funny thing... birds drop big time right after the rabbits drop off. Starving fox and lynx need something to eat.

Now, I found Husker's other locked down thread and I now know where this is going. The groups shooting lots of birds are well known to the wildlife Troopers. They do everything they can to enforce the rules, but there is only so many of them. Going to the ADF&G about game violations is going to the wrong department. Our local wildlife trooper is well aware of the issue of carloads of folks shooting birds from the road. When I see them I get the license plate number of the car and call it in. They've cracked down on a few of them, but frankly grouse are on the low end of the priority list.

Some of the info I have read makes a compelling argument that it is actually the hare boom that kills birds. It's not like predators care what they eat and the increase of predators per square mile means there is less space for the birds to hide on.

Might as well..

I'm doing a study on placer gold production. Would be interested in location of your site (gps coords are helpful) and approx how many ounces you brought out last year. (method and how long it took)

Feel free to PM me....:-)

Im not meaning to be a jack @#$ but the guy is just trying to get some info. Granted he might be trying to figure out where he could hunt some birds. We are all outdoors men here and why dont we just give a helping hand instead of laughing at him. Again im not trying to be a jack @#$. But I have found that alot of people are a little rude when someone asks a simple question about where they might be able to get something ie: birds, fish and so on. We are here to help new comers and old timers and to help educate all hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
    Im not meaning to be a jack @#$ but the guy is just trying to get some info. Granted he might be trying to figure out where he could hunt some birds. We are all outdoors men here and why dont we just give a helping hand instead of laughing at him. Again im not trying to be a jack @#$. But I have found that alot of people are a little rude when someone asks a simple question about where they might be able to get something ie: birds, fish and so on. We are here to help new comers and old timers and to help educate all hunters.
    Understood and actually agree.

BUT... you didn't list your favorite bird hunting area either.

Will add that I have seen many more hares this year. Ptarmies and other have been consistent with the last couple years on the trails I ride.

Sorry to all the guys whose feathers i ruffled. Didnt mean to be a jackass for asking questions about birds on the trails and the access to these. Yes it has been a while since i lived in alaska but since returning i have seen a disturbing trend. A trend that i believe needs to be addressed with legislation and enforcement. There was a thread on another board which piggy backs this whole idea. So again thanks for you all help and no i wasnt simply trying to find some place to hunt. Last time i check alaska is 95 percent public land and plenty of places to hunt except for the few hunters who think they own everything simply because they found an area.

Also to the guys with the gold claim comment. that wasnt necessary and thanks for being a jerkoff.

Also for the Mods. I put this thread out to the recreational riders who dont have a vested interest in hunting but riding. I can tell by the few smart arses who made comments that they are hunters first and riders second. I wouldnt expect much from these gentlemen as they seem to have the typical attitude of this is my spot, secret area even though it is on public land. I was only trying to see a pattern here with birds along the trails. I dont have the time nor the money to drive trails everyday but felt with mulitple people talking we could have a dialogue started. Again sorry for asking about the "TOP SECRET" information about bird sightings along the trails.

What i have seen in our last outing.

Buffalo Mine Road. One grouse which i would usually see around 15
    Old Man Trail. 2 Ptarmigan in a valley i normally would see 50-75 birds
    Mystery Creek Road 2 Birds
    Wolverine Creek 2 Birds.

last oct before snow there was a bunch of birds eating the gravel at willow fishhook (backside of hathers pass)
    i notice that the state has someone come in a clear cut 5 acres at a time and call it "ruffed grouse habitat" but last i checked birds like trees, once this has been done the bird population goes with it. This was done in jonesville mine area and by palmer fishook. squaw creek trail has also had alot of birds on it as of late.

I dont think its a "this is my piece of land" claim....... Its "I have a few less congested hunting areas and Id like to keep them that way".

Also if you get off your Atv's and beat the brush youll see more. I travel on the trails to get in farther then hit the tree lots,but im on foot.

i have noticed the same with area which seem to be cleared out of brush and trees. they claim they make this more ruffed grouse sensitive areas but i believe it is simply pushing them into new areas. again thanks for you info. this is the stuff that i am after.

They aren't making new ruffed grouse habitat for today, they are making it for the future. Old growth forest won't support as many birds so they clear cut to make new "artificial" alder patches. The other option is wait till it burns but that can be destructive and sure takes a lot longer for the birds to bounce back from.

Husker- Compared to when? 12 years ago? Frankly, the area in the Mat-Su has a ton more ATV riders and birds won't stick around areas that see lots of activity. On my local trails, if I'm the first one up the trail at sunrise on a weekday I see a ton of birds. Wait and ride that same trail a couple hours after sunrise on a Saturday and I won't see one. Once they are flushed a couple times by riders they don't wander out in the trail again for that day it seems.

Ptarmagin are another weird one. I've had flocks of dozens in my lumber yard twice in the last 20 years, then I go a bunch of years where I don't see them below treeline ever.

I don't see how an unscientific study is going to effect anything.

Grouse come out to roads and trails in the morning to get gravel, or warm up in the sun after a cold night. the reason you don't see as many during the day is they are busy feeding or just being birds in the woods. If you went into the woods just a few hundred yards you would see most of those same birds. And ptarmigan are a bird that likes to fly alot, almost like a small scale migration. you will see them in one place one day and somewhere else 30 min later let alone another day.
    They do get hunted out along roads, but if you just went into the woods aways you find more birds. Also the young males will leave their groups in the fall to find their own territory.