Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frankenfish in the valley, I am wondering if anyone can help me out

Default Frankenfish in the valley, I am wondering if anyone can help me out

with this thread. I was in a service station and over hearing to gentlemen talk about a mysterious fish he caught. I believe he said circle lake up at hatchers pass. Does anyone know if this lake exists? So here is the story supposedly this was a 8 pound rainbow trout that was only like 3yrs old. He had taken this fish to the Alaska Department of Game and Fish and they confirmed the age but not able to tell him why it had rapid growth. Now this guy is saying that they are experimenting with hybrid rainbows to stock the matsu lakes with and bring more fishing opportunities out to the valley. But when questioning the game and fish they acted like they knew nothing about it.

So here is the discussion. Has anyone heard about this? Is it possible that they are working with these fish? Have you ever heard of circle lake or a hidden lake up by hatchers pass? The guy showed me the photo and this rainbow as massive. Also he wouldnt tell me how to get back to the lake but he did say you could get a smaller fishing boat on the water. Any thoughts????

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by huskerhav View Post
    with this thread. I was in a service station and over hearing to gentlemen talk about a mysterious fish he caught. I believe he said circle lake up at hatchers pass. Does anyone know if this lake exists? So here is the story supposedly this was a 8 pound rainbow trout that was only like 3yrs old. He had taken this fish to the Game and Parks and they confirmed the age but not able to tell him why it had rapid growth. Now this guy is saying that they are experimenting with hybrid rainbows to stock the matsu lakes with and bring more fishing opportunities out to the valley. But when questioning the game and fish they acted like they knew nothing about it.

So here is the discussion. Has anyone heard about this? Is it possible that they are working with these fish? Have you ever heard of circle lake or a hidden lake up by hatchers pass? The guy showed me the photo and this rainbow as massive. Also he wouldnt tell me how to get back to the lake but he did say you could get a smaller fishing boat on the water. Any thoughts????
    First off, I would question the validity of his statements. He took the fish to Game and Parks? What is Game and Parks? I've been in AK for 24 years and never heard of this organization. Second, this so called Game and Parks office was able to determinethe age of the fish? Sounds awfully suspicious to me.

Okay smarty, the Alaska Department of Game and Fish. Is that clear enough for you?
    I dont know why some people have to be negative when you open threads like this?

Edited the original post to help out those who dont know who manages our outdoors industry.....

Alaska department of FISH and GAME.....smarty pants haha thats where the comfusion comes in.

I've caugt triploid trout down south that would fit you're description. They are somehow hatched with 3 sets of chromosomes, grow abnormally fast and, supposidy, cannot reproduce. They taste like crap too. WDFW stocks them all over the place now.

Never heard of any in Alaska though.
    Nice Marmot.

Circle lake is down around the Penninsula, so is hidden lake, well closer to cooper landing anyways. There are a lot of "hidden" lakes though throughout the state.

Okay smarty, the Alaska Department of Game and Fish. Is that clear enough for you?
    I dont know why some people have to be negative when you open threads like this?

Edited the original post to help out those who dont know who manages our outdoors industry.....
    First off, you asked for thoughts. Secondly, what's negative? Based on using terms like "Game and Parks" in your post, it sounded like the gentleman was feeding someone a line of BS, and frankly it still does. The statement of "he took the fish in and they confirmed the age" is suspect as well. You can't believe everything you overhear at a service station.

Okay so it wasnt circle lake. But what lakes exist up on hatchers pass road? I cant think of any fishable lakes up there can you?

Frostbitten, sorry but i saw his photo. It was a massive rainbow unlike any i have ever seen taken out here in the valley.

I'm not discounting that he caught a big fish, I'm saying his story about it is awfully suspect. If you found a honeyhole in Hatcher's Pass with 8 pound trout in it, would you tell everyone you meet at the convenience store about it?
    Last edited by Frostbitten; 10-22-2010 at 12:31. Reason: typo

Again, frostbitten, i was listening in to his conversation. It wasnt like he was telling the whole public about it, he was talking with his fishing buddy. I happend to ask what the picture was. I was amazed and it spurred me to ask more. Not like it is some secret conspiracy or something. He would only tell me it was a lake up on hatchers pass road. SO the question is what are the lakes up in hatchers pass....?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I'm not discounting that he caught a big fish, I'm saying his story about it is awfully suspect. If you found a honeyhole in Hatcher's Pass with 8 pound trout in it, would you tell everyone you meet at the convenience store about it?
    And not only that but after you told the first person every one and their grandma would be there especially if you can put a boat in it!
    Not to mention I have lived here pretty much my hole life, and I don't know of any lakes per say up there by hatcher's pass. So you need to be a little more detailed, because it is up to ones interpitation of what is close or not. I hate to burst your bubble but I think the guy is jerking your chain.
    Further more the only way I know how to tell how old a fish is, is to take the ear bone, not sure what is is called and cont the rings to determine age??????????? I don't think this is some thing you can do right there on the spot.

Again, frostbitten, i was listening in to his conversation. It wasnt like he was telling the whole public about it, he was talking with his fishing buddy. I happend to ask what the picture was. I was amazed and it spurred me to ask more. Not like it is some secret conspiracy or something. He would only tell me it was a lake up on hatchers pass road. SO the question is what are the lakes up in hatchers pass....?
    Twelvemile and Teakwood are the only two named lakes that I could find. I didn't imply there was a secret conspiracy, I believe it was you who used the terms "frankenfish" and "mysterious fish". I simply pointed out that the story you relayed, and subsequently asked for thoughts on sounded fabricated. I can certainly appreciate a good fish story, but if it sounds too good (or wierd, or made up etc.) to be true, well....

I live at the foothills of Mt Baldy just west of Hatchers and I know of 2 lakes between Baldy and Hatchers that supposedly have fish in them. I've also seen dollys in Nurses creek way up on the side of the mountain it amazed me that they were there. Theres also a WW2 bomber perfectly intact, although the Army pulled the guns

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I live at the foothills of Mt Baldy just west of Hatchers and I know of 2 lakes between Baldy and Hatchers that supposedly have fish in them. I've also seen dollys in Nurses creek way up on the side of the mountain it amazed me that they were there. Theres also a WW2 bomber perfectly intact, although the Army pulled the guns
    I've seen pictures of that! Its freakin sweet!

First of all, there are many ways to age fish. First is a scale, which can have false annuli. Second, is with the "ear bone" which is called an otolith. Some other fish like lingcod, we use the dorsal rays. ADF&G does stock triploids where the fish have any chance of escaping the system. This includes rivers and streams, lakes with streams flowing in or out, and any lake that has the "potential" to flood. You can do a triploid search on the ADF&G stocking database to see where these fish are stocked. Yes, triploids do grow faster than diploids.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    wow wow wow where's this bomber????????????? What kind and where? I want to check it out! Fullbush please share!

If you climb Baldy its right on the backside,, Take Shrock to N.Shushana left on Moose Meadows drive up the hill then climb to the top look over and viola silver bomber not sure what kind but its got the glass gun turrets and everything

I think thats the right picture......(below)

Summit Lake is up in Hatcher Pass, although I've never fished it or seen anyone fishing there.

Sweet plane. I've been up Baldy several times and never noticed this!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast