Thread: New License Format

Default New License Format

Hey all, I know this has been brought up before, but it needs to be done and I'm currious on how to get the ball rolling on this. If you are 65 or older, you can get a lifetime, laminated card for a hunting license. I propose a 5 year card, just like a driver's license, for hunting and fishing with endorsement codes for king salmon, guiding, etc. The base hunting/fishing with king salmon stamp would be aquired by residents only at $280. Endorsements, of course, would add on. Non-resident one year licenses would still be available, but this would provide convenience and practicality to residents. My license has been in my wallet since February. It is not even readable any more. The card license with harvest tickets for king salmon, moose, etc would work much better!!!!

SO you have to get all your endorsements up front? What if I want to get like a sheep or something I normally do not hunt do I have to get an entire new card with the new endorsements?

By endorsements, I meant to guide, to trap, general activities. Hunting a specific species, area, activities covered by drawing for a tag or going and getting a tag independant of your license, would still be that way. You would still need to go get your sheep, moose, bear etc tags except for kind salmon, for wich they charge at the time you get your license now. And you would still need to pick up a harvest card for each season.
    But thanks for clarifying that. These are things that have to be considered. And, in the end, determine if this idea makes things easier or more of a pain for hunters, fishermen etc who are Alaska residents.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

This seems a bit unfair to the average GI who for all intensive purposes can only hunt for 3 years. In general they are stationed in AK for 4 years, less 12 months inelegible for a resident hunting license, the result would require the GI's to purchase a 5 year license for 3 years of hunting.

make it an option for residents to purchase. still have one years available at vendors.

And for the military, who get paid less anyway, maybe make it $180

Quote Originally Posted by germe1967 View Post
    And for the military, who get paid less anyway, maybe make it $180
    Not a military hater here, i did my time with Uncle Sam, but be careful not to generalize that GI's don't make as much. I would agree that a new guy in the dorm or even a new married guy doesn't make much, but for someone with 10 plus years in, the dough ain't bad. Of course what they have to do to get it sucks. I know plenty of GI's with household incomes(including all the non-taxable allowances) pushing and in some cases in exceeding 6 figures.

I agree with ERDUCKER. Being in the Reserves and having plenty of buddies on Active Duty, I know that the majority of the military guys are making more than most people in Alaska. I disagree with giving out licenses at reduced rates. We're already getting a good deal up here. I hunt big game and pheasants in Colorado every year and they really bend us over with fees. Not only do you pay for your license, you also pay a search and rescue fee and some kind of conservation fee with every license. So this search and rescue fee is only paid by hunters and I think fisherman might get stuck with it, but the majority of the people rescued are hikers, skiers and snow machiners who don't pay a single penny. Ok I'll quit my ranting.........NO REDUCED LICENSES.

i don't see any problem with how it is now....you can get them pretty licenses off the internet right now as it is....and if you have the old school one there are plenty of ways to keep it clean and readable...i keep mine in a clear plastic license protector along with all my harvest tickets and hunter ed card and guide license and duck stamps....plus i like to buy all my license seperate
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

They could just get a new paper. Texas has a rubberized paper that they print theirs out on. Holds up in the water and doesn't require having to decipher bad handwriting.

Leave it alone. If you want a better piece of paper get it on line.
    Tim

What if you created a card like the bowhunter one. Then use it like a license plate where every year or two you go and get a sticker that goes on the card with all of the tags a person might get. One the front it could be all of the person's information with a place where they could put if they have passed the bowhunter, muzzleloader, etc. classes. Then on the back could be a spot for places to put stickers on each year for the tags they want for the year. Of course these stickers would be color coded by years with the year stamped on the sticker. This is just a thought. I really don't think there is anything wrong with the way it is now.

Ethan Berkholtz is proposing a life time license if he gets elected.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Ethan Berkholtz is proposing a life time license if he gets elected.
    ethan O-Berkowitz will be offering up a lot if he gets elected.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    ethan O-Berkowitz will be offering up a lot if he gets elected.
    something tells me you no like berkowitz

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    something tells me you no like berkowitz
    bout as much as i like O-Begich and Obama...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I thought berkowitz was from Anderson lol...

You only need to be 60 to get the lifetime license, not 65.

Well, now I see why previous times of this being brought up didn't go anywhere. There are some very valid and important reasons for things being the way they are. After reading some of these ideas, my original post seems to have much less luster. For people like sharksinthesalsa, this could create some inconvenience. And convenience was the real root reason for my proposal.