Thread: Seward or Homer

Default Seward or Homer

This next year I will have a new boat, I upgraded from a 22' Glasply to a 28' Glasply. With my 22' I was able to tow it around, I could take it to Whittier, Seward, or Homer, though I spent my time in Homer atleast 75% of the time. Now with my new boat, I wont be towing it so I will need to get a slip to keep it in. I know the Homer area pretty good by now, so that is a probable option, but I am also intrigued by the prospect of keeping it in Seward and being able to access the sound from there not to mention good fishing. I haven't kept a boat in a slip before and I am just wondering about advantages/disadvantages of the Homer and Seward harbors, which has better services, better rates etc.

I don't think either has an advantage as far as "services" or rates go, so to me that isn't even a consideration. So what do you mean by "etc."? If you're asking where the fishing is better you're opening up a can of worms that you probably don't want to open. They both have their goods and their bads and you're probably going to get a 50/50 mix of which is the better place to fish. That's what I based my decision to move here on.

I moved to Homer from Anchorage because of the fishing opportunities that K-Bay and Cook Inlet provide. I've fished out of Seward and Homer for the last 18 years and the ability to go winter king fishing and halibut fishing during the winter were probably the things that really swayed me toward Homer.

Another thing about Homer that I found I liked when I moved here was the fact that I was able to get a slip immediately when I put my boat in before Memorial Day last year (it was temporary, but a slip nonetheless) and then when the slip assignments came up in October last year I got a permanent one right away. It took me about 3 years to get a permanent slip in Seward and in the interim I had to keep my boat in "transient" moorage.

I think the question you have to ask yourself is where you'd prefer to fish? If I lived in Soldotna I would be looking at Homer as the place to keep my boat.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I wasn't looking for info as far as which port has better fishing, I know what each place has to offer as far as that goes, and I guess I should have posted this in the boating section instead of the fishing. However the info you gave me about the permanent slip versus the transient was the exact kind of information I was looking for. I prefer fishing out of Homer, but I also like hunting and shrimping, and now that I am not mobile on the highway anymore, I cannot go to whittier when I want to do those activities, which is why I was thinking Seward, so I could reach the sound. I am thinking I will probably keep it Homer, I know the area much better, it is closer to home, and I can still go over to Kalgin island from there. I guess if I want to get to the sound, I will just go around the peninsula of pony up and buy a good trailer.

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

Since they expanded the marina in Seward a few years ago the wait isn't nearly as long. A lot of the wait is timing. Slip leases run through the calandar year, so a lot of slips open up in January, when leases expire. When I started construction on my boat late in 2007 I got on the waiting list thinking it would be a long wait. As it turned out I was offered a slip within two months. I turned it down because my boat wasn't due to be finished for another six months. My name went to the bottom of the list, but it was apparent that they had gone through the entire list. I used transient mooring for the two weeks my boat was in the water in August 2008. At Seward they will put you in unoccupied slips. If anyone isn't using their slip the marina puts transients in them. I never had to use the transient piers. By June of 2009 I had a permanant slip assigned. In 20 months I got through the waiting list twice. Another factor is that since 2008 the marina is getting less use than previously because of fuel costs and the economy. If you are interested in Seward, now is the time to get on the waiting list. I would recommend that you apply at both marinas and see what comes up.

I've run out of Seward for three seasons now and I like it. The run over two PWS isn't bad at all, I've done it many times. The fishing is great on the Norht Gulf Coast also. Just my thoughts.

Seward has a city tax based upon the value of the boat, does Homer?

When not in the marina I store my boat at Lowell Point, outside the Seward City limits. No city tax there and it's only about two miles from the marina. They are installing a launch ramp at the Storm Chasers boat yard so it's easy to get your boat in the water and over to the marina.

Quote Originally Posted by ocnfish View Post
    Seward has a city tax based upon the value of the boat, does Homer?
    Sure does.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I have heard talked about a launch at storm chasers but I haven't seen any construction yet. I wouldn't hold your breath. There's a big commercial boat high and dry right in the way.

I think that if Carl puts in a launch he would avoid the demo of putting it on the old rails. A launch at Storm Chasers has been talked about for a while but no progress as of yet. Lowell Point Rd is a rought 2 miles to get back into town to a launch. Try Mile 7 Mechanical for boat storage. 7 miles of highway travel probably is less wear & tear on the rig & trailer than 2 miles of Lowell Point Rd

Storm Chasers has all the concrete planking on site and will install the ramp in the spring. A large commercial boat is on the ramp site, but is going to be cut up for disposel.