Thread: Weather buoy Accuracy

Smile Weather buoy Accuracy

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/maps/Alaska_inset.shtml
    Been trying to go on a PWS deer hunt around knight Island this week and the forecast has been small craft and pretty much cruddy all week but when I check the buoys at the above link I posted its always like 2-4 foot seas at the most......can these be trusted? Just curious what you guys have experienced with this. I figured better safe than sorry and trusted the weather forecast...That why Im at home typing this. Thanks for any input.

Well, I have seen the weather out there to be a lot different than the bouy hotline. But I trust the NOAA forcast pretty well. I watch the graphical chart as well. Watch the wave height for the upcoming days. If it's crappy out past Perry or Knight with waves getting worse, I don't go. Also, if you see a North wind forecast, the ride back in is aweful. It is a crap shoot sometimes, but I play it safe most of the time. Once you leave Culross going south, you could be stuck for a nasty ride if the weather picks up.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/show_plot.p...ime_label=AKDT
    Way more than 2-3 feet

The bouy at the South end of Montegue quit transmitting in July and they haven't fixed it. The Bouy outside Whittier only transmits intermittenly and is not accurate.

Only one that seems to be close to accurate is the one between Montague and Hinchenbrook.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Thanks for input guys.

The problem is there isnít a buoy smack dab in the middle of PWS. The buoys that matter are where the oil tankers travel or at the entrances to PWS. It would be great to have one between Lone and Naked or situated somewhere in that central vicinity. All you have is the NOAA whether to go buy if youíre venturing out into the middle, so you have to read between the lines and make sense of the wind direction and general location of the Low front and flip a coin. Whether can chance rapidly this time of year so if you go pay attention to the updates. There is no such thing as an accurate 3 or 2 day forecast, it is only a guessing game that gets changed every 12 hours or when NOAA realizes things have made a turn for the worst.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Another thing to consider is the tide. Depending on the direction the weather is coming from you can always pick and choose you travel times. For instance, if you're leaving Whittier and its blowing from the east, you'll want to travel on the flood. You can usually judge if theres gonna be a high pressure wind (off shore), then its better to travel during the ebb.
    The information that I am going to research right now is buoy numbers and locations, thats where I have my problem w/ the NOAA forecast is I'm not sure what buoy numbers are where
    I got back in time to edit, I found this page http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/maps/Alaska_inset.shtml
    46081 or "buoy 81" is the one between Culross and Pigot, 46060 or "buoy60" is between Knowles Head and Hinchinbrook entrance, 46061 or "buoy61 is located in the entrance 46076 looks like its located due south of montague east of Middleton Island. Apparently if you click on them theres supposed to be webcams? I'm not seeing them though. I go to PWSAC's websight and look at the webcams there http://www.pwsac.com/

Awesome info fullbush Thanks!