Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keep your food & game meat safe from bears by stringing it tween 2 trees-A sureThing!

Lightbulb Keep your food & game meat safe from bears by stringing it tween 2 trees-A sureThing!

NOT.

And that's only to get a few seeds!

That's one strong rope! Maybe next time, string it with 40 pound test!

does anyone else here the mission impossible song playing when they look at those pictures............that truly hilarious
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

The bears now have there own reality show for survivor. lol

Good pic's.

That's unreal, we don't have bears in Australia so I like to come here and look at the antics of them on here. Great photos.

That's Unreal, Classic Pics there FM

I'd like to see the Trail Cam shots of a Brown Bear deciding to "just take the tree down," instead,
    like for a few hundred pounds of game bagged but dripping with blood, snacks hanging up there
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default Moose, knocking trees down

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    I'd like to see the Trail Cam shots of a Brown Bear deciding to "just take the tree down,"
    Somewhere around here I've got the original camcorder movie I took (and never published anywhere) of a very large bull moose, knocking down a tree to nibble a bit at its tops, then before consuming much at all, knocking down another, and another.... I just kept the camcorder going and couldn't believe I caught it....

It is sights such as that, that keep me going afield. It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

It's also about admiring nature's ways and becoming one with it to the point where you can take some home and eat it all winter long.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    It is sights such as that, that keep me going afield. It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.
    That's a good quote,
    on that note, to temp hijack the thread, on my last hunt, while resting in the grass overlooking the valley bottom, I watched a Blacktail Doe come running at full tilt up out of an Alder patch, fifty yards up the hill, then circle around and back into the patch very close to where she came out, then seconds later out she came out again going a little different direction, and back and was basically doing the fleeing rabbit pattern of circling around and back, maybe best described by a cloverleaf pattern in the end. No rhyme or reason to her pattern. All at Full Sprint, little stops then back at it again, Really Fast ??

Still wondering what was going on there, just having fun, a Bear in those Alders stirring her up, ???? Went on for about a minute then disappeared into the Alder. Hmmmmm anybody ever seen that before?

Ok back to Amazing Bear Feats
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Squirrels would be proud to see that!

i am skeptical of validity of photo. it IS a neat picture, but I doubt anything less than a steel cable would handle this large bear at the co-sines of these angles, given the relatively small rope. must be 2500-4000 pounds stress on this rope at that angle, plus the deredation of fibers by bite/teeth.
    I apologize if i am wrong...don't mean to mess up thread.
    GREAT pictures, though.

Familyman
    You wrote in post #7..."It is sights such as that, that keep me going afield" and "Its about seeing what no one else sees "...and THAT is where I am in 100% agreement with you, again.

Those yellow nylon ropes are really strong!

dennis

We use nylon line for commercial fishing in the deeps, 5/16 in diameter, ( smaller than what is pictured) that could easily hold the weight of that Bear,
    "Those nylon ropes are really strong!"

at that angle? a 30 degree angle will double the force on rope.

well, i stand corrected.

We had one of our scent balls eaten this year, it started out hanging about 12' in the air on a rope between between two trees like that bird house. When we came back a week later to re-supply it was slid over to one of the trees with some large bites taken out of it. Pretty amazing what bears will do to get to food. Too bad the trail cam didn't get any shots of it.

Default darned if you do, darned if you don't

Quote Originally Posted by Robo View Post
    That's one strong rope! Maybe next time, string it with 40 pound test!
    A less strong rope won't make what you're trying to keep from the bears any safer.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    A less strong rope won't make what you're trying to keep from the bears any safer.
    True! There I go thinking with my NC brain not acclimated to these temperatures, let my brain catch up to the current ambient temperatures, and I just might get smarter!

I've heard of soap on a rope, but bear?

What a great series of photos ! I have no difficulty believing the validity of those pics, bears are intelligent animals that possess more agility and dexterity than many realize.

Very fun and interesting pictures. Somewhere Barnum and Bailey is missing one of their performers. And I'm sure some members have decided on some "new" baiting techniques for the spring.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    What a great series of photos ! I have no difficulty believing the validity of those pics, bears are intelligent animals that possess more agility and dexterity than many realize.
    actually i seen these last night on Nat Geo, WILD edition show called the ULTIMATE bear. they were taken in Canada. and believe it or not... the Blackie due to its ability to hide among us was dubbed the ULTIMATE bear. great show lots to be learned by a hunter that show...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast