Thread: Broken Femur

Default Broken Femur

Ealier today while retrieving dummies with my 19 week old chessie slipped and broke her back right Femur. She was running to get the dummy and made a sharp turn and her rear end just kind of slided on the snow. Has any one had this happen to one of their dogs and if so how long does it normally take to heal.

Did you take her in to the vet? Is it just the bone, or is the growth plate involved? Growth plates can be difficult to repair. My daughter ran over our pup with a snowmachine, breaking the growth plate and top of the lower leg bone, rear leg. It took extensive and creative surgery to fix it. I don't recall, but healing was about 3 months? She also had to go back in and have the pins pulled.
    Mike Edwards in ANC specializes in orthopedics. He has a good reputation. If surgery is required, I'd ask your vet, "if you weren't a vet, who would you have do the surgery?"
    It is going to depend a lot on how simple or complex the break is.

Greg
    I took her in last night and they did surgery on Friday afternoon. The break was in the upper leg and I was told that it was going to be wired and have a pin. I am waiting for them to call me back with the details. My guess is my pup crack the bone while playing with my male lab and when she slipped it completed the break. The vets last name was Cole. She said ever thing went well and I can pick her up in the morning.
    Thanks for the info.
    Dennis

I must have been in a daze earlier. Yes, Mike Edwards in ANC is good, and does specialize in a couple of procedures. For the break described, getting it done in FAI should be good. The guy that fixed Roca was Scott Flamme over at Mt. McKinley. He did a great job on her. I'd recommend him to anybody else that ends up with bone issues. We also worked on an allergy problem with my old dog.
    glad the pup is on the way to mending and healing. Sure hope it works out. Keep in mind that holding a pup back for months, if needed, is tough, but as I described it to my family, if we love the dog, we'll do the tough thing. Keeping her on leash and confined was a lot better than the alternative for us.

I would suggest Mike Edwards to anyone, as well as Nelson Priddy. Mike did a total hip replacement on my Chessie and Neslon did some soft tissue cancerous tumor removals on my lab. Both guys are great.

Hope the surgery went well & DD is on the mend! A very long time ago my Dad had a 5-6 month old German Shepard that broke a femur in 2 places (basically broke in 3 pieces). The vet wired & pinned it, it looked pretty gruesome with pins & a stablizer bar on the outside, but he heeled up fine. The pins were removed after "x" number of weeks & swimming was his PT. The hardest thing was keeping the pup's activity restricted when he started feeling better. I think one of the vets in Fairbanks or North Pole now has a hydro-therapy tank & treadmill, and will check around to find out.

Small world! Dr. Cole lives down the road from me, and know Mike Edwards from back when he ran & judged field trials, but have heard very good things about his orthopedic work.

DD is doing good. It is really hard to keep her from getting excited. No jumping up and down, no playing, no stairs, and no running. We have been putting her in a kennel at night just to keep her from hurting her self. She wants to play and retrieve but that is not allowed. Barbra Cole did a very good job. She put a stainless steel pin down that connects the bone together and it has 5 stainless wire ties. We are to take her back in after 30 days to get an xray and at that time she will determine if the pin comes out. The cost so far has been $1573 which is not bad. In 2007 I broke my ankle and it was over $40000.

Great to hear DD is doing well, in spite of the very restricted activity. Hope it's okay to post a pic of her on here. She's just so gosh darn cute!

To her back to the vet on Wednsday and had xrays done. The xray's looked good so the removed the stainless steel rod. Doctor Cole gave me the rod and I was suprise to see that it was about 7 inches long. Dee Dee has another week to go and the she will start rehab to build up leg strenght. This morning she brought me 1 of my bunney boots thinking that we are going outside playing.

Glad to hear Dee Dee is recovering & hope the rehab goes well !!! Will they be using an underwater treadmill for some of her rehab? Was about to email you & ask how she's doing.

Karen

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

It just seems so unlikely for a young dog to break a bone like that. One thing we all need to keep in mind is the surface the dogs are playing on and the size of the play mates. I've been splitting up the dog play time in the dog yard between the girls and rougher boys. After considering you dog's accident maybe individual walking and training will do for now...Gets me out more too. www.alaskadognews.com

Friends living remote recently had their canine critter return home from a frollic in the woods with an injured hip, and a pup I had years ago got smacked by a vehicle and endured very similar injuries and surgery as your pup.

Doc Winterer (formerly the owner and operator of Ballaine Veterinary Clinic in Fbks., now, unfortunately, deceased, may he RIP) did the surgery for a fraction of what several other clinics wanted. And he did it on credit, without knowing me at all. The others wanted either cash, guns or gold, and at that time in life i was broke, had only one handgun to my name, didn't even have a full cylinder of bullets for it, and, after leaving one of the unnamed-in-this-posting clinics, I was left with few alternatives but to take him home and shoot him. I was beside myself with grief. Just carrying him into the clinics in my arms, and trying to walk without too much awkward motion, I could hear the bones knocking in his leg where they were broken/shattered clear through.

Doc W. did the surgery on 100% credit, telling me later, when I inquired why he'd done such a favor (not only for me, but a similar, less expensive favor for a friend I referred to him) that, "If your friend doesn't pay me, I'm out a little bit of money. I can get a little bit of money almost anywhere at some point. But your friend is out a reputation, and he can't buy that for $20.00." That was about 1981.

I'll always remember that vet as one of the finest human beings I've ever met in Fairbanks. Jeremey went on to die as a result of cancer in his liver, in relative old doggy-age, with me laying next to him on the kitchen floor, scratching his ears as he went to sleep one last time. He was a good pup, and got a bunch of extra years with me and mine, thanks to Doc Winterer. He loved kids and protected our old truck like it was Ft. Knox.

As to the 'Black & Decker surgery,' the pin and frame-style leg brace didn't keep Jeremey down at all. He rapidly learned to ambulate at high rates of speed, swinging the injured hind leg out to the side as he'd run in order to avoid the wrapped metal leg brace from striking the ground abruptly.

I don't recall the exact length of time between his initial surgery to set the pin the full length of the femur, to the last surgery to remove the pin, but I recall it as not being too awful long. A couple of months maybe??

My older son now has a young female german shepherd pup, and if you've been around them, they're like a young horse or newborn moose; -all- legs. I've noted that when she plays, it's quite easy, especially during moments of extreme activity, for her to get one of those LONG spindly legs katty-wampus to the direction it wants to travel at the joint, and she'll suddenly yelp a bit. Not often, really, but it worries me sometimes. Yes, some dogs are more susceptible to these sorts of injuries than others, and individual genetics and diet -can- play a role in these things too.

Good luck with your pup.

I was told that from the time surgery is done it takes about 4 weeks before the vet will do x-rays and determine whether to remove the pin. We waited just over 6 weeks as I wanted to make sure every thing was healing ok. Between week 1 and week 2 she had a lot of pain for a couple of days. What I think she ran up the stairs and that caused her some pain. I thought about going back to the vet but I decided to wait as I could not feel any new damage. Not really sure why the femur bone broke. The day she broke it I was throwing her a tennis ball and the retrieving dummy. Maybe we did just to many my guess with the dummy about 20 and the ball maybe 50. I would normally get tired before she would. She also was playing with Mickey my lab mix who weights around 160 pounds.