Thread: Double Rifle

Default Double Rifle

Hello, I just came across a double rifle. I cannot figure out who made it. It has shotgun on left and rifle on right SXS. Nice carving on stock and dog attacking a deer. on left side.Can anyone help me determine worth? Not an heirloom for me so $ talks.

Any help would be appreciated. Thx'

What you've found is commonly called a 'Cape Gun' not a double rifle. Any makers name on it? What are the proof marks on the barrels and the water table of the reciever? What's the condition? Blueing all intact and the case colors? What type of lock up? Box action ot back action? Chambering? Length of chamber and what caliber? Condition of barrels ect?

From you vague description it could be anywhere between $10 and $9,000.

Here's a table that is far from complete but it'll get you started unraveling the questions.

https://store.bluebookinc.com/Info/P...Proofmarks.pdf

+1 on Mikes post. Lot's more info and pictures would really help. I'm not sure how common cape guns are from English makers. Europeans are big on combo guns like drillings, so I'm assuming cape guns are the same. So I'm guessing likely a European.

Brett

Is the trigger guard made of horn. Does it have a crossbolt that goes through the top rib when the action is closed. Does it have a SS stamped on it.Does it have engraved dogs that are humped back looking.What letter shows when the gun is on safe. What is the caliber and gauge stamped on the action flats and water table. I'm betting its a Pieper with a crown and LG stamped in it but it may be German for second guess
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you