Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Ship creek for trout/dollies

  1. #1

    Default Ship creek for trout/dollies

    any one tried the section of ship creek that was closed most of the year?
    Thinking about doing just for a quick close outting. what would one use on fish in that section this time of year? i dont think the salmon get up that high so using eggs or flesh seems outta the question

  2. #2
    Member muzzyman87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin4590 View Post
    i dont think the salmon get up that high so using eggs or flesh seems outta the question
    Oh they do...
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin4590 View Post
    any one tried the section of ship creek that was closed most of the year?
    Thinking about doing just for a quick close outting. what would one use on fish in that section this time of year? i dont think the salmon get up that high so using eggs or flesh seems outta the question
    I have fished it twice since it reopened with not a whole lot of luck. Used beads, flesh flies, wooly buggers. I didnt catch anything but another fella told me anything black and he had caught a couple. For the record they get up to and past the Reeve Blvd bridge.

  4. #4
    Member Raptor_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    1,265

    Default

    Salmon get all the way up to the dam right next to the post road gate at elmendorf. There is a viewing platform that you can watch them from there. I wish they would remove that dam. There would be very litte pressure on those fish after that dam, as there are few places to access the creek after that.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

  5. #5
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    1,948

    Default

    There are fish above the dam too.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  6. #6
    Member fullbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,674

    Default

    There used to be wild cohos that went way up, is that run toast?

  7. #7
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    1,948

    Default

    All five species used to go past the Glenn Highway back in the day before the dams were erected. The dam near the Elmendorf Golf Course used to have working fish ladders when I was a kid. I grew up fishing Ship between Elmendorf and Fort Rich. The trout and dolly fishing used to be great. Since the ladders do not work anymore, no fish get past the dam near Elmendorf. FYI, the military owns this dam.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  8. #8
    Member fullbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    All five species used to go past the Glenn Highway back in the day before the dams were erected. The dam near the Elmendorf Golf Course used to have working fish ladders when I was a kid. I grew up fishing Ship between Elmendorf and Fort Rich. The trout and dolly fishing used to be great. Since the ladders do not work anymore, no fish get past the dam near Elmendorf. FYI, the military owns this dam.
    Oh boy I should have known. No wonder they chocked w/ hatchery mutts for the downtown pukes. They may as well throw a steelhead hatchery in too. The down town folks could knock boots w/ head all winter on their lunch

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •