Thread: Ship creek for trout/dollies

Default Ship creek for trout/dollies

any one tried the section of ship creek that was closed most of the year?
    Thinking about doing just for a quick close outting. what would one use on fish in that section this time of year? i dont think the salmon get up that high so using eggs or flesh seems outta the question

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin4590 View Post
    i dont think the salmon get up that high so using eggs or flesh seems outta the question
    Oh they do...
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin4590 View Post
    any one tried the section of ship creek that was closed most of the year?
    Thinking about doing just for a quick close outting. what would one use on fish in that section this time of year? i dont think the salmon get up that high so using eggs or flesh seems outta the question
    I have fished it twice since it reopened with not a whole lot of luck. Used beads, flesh flies, wooly buggers. I didnt catch anything but another fella told me anything black and he had caught a couple. For the record they get up to and past the Reeve Blvd bridge.

Salmon get all the way up to the dam right next to the post road gate at elmendorf. There is a viewing platform that you can watch them from there. I wish they would remove that dam. There would be very litte pressure on those fish after that dam, as there are few places to access the creek after that.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

There are fish above the dam too.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

There used to be wild cohos that went way up, is that run toast?

All five species used to go past the Glenn Highway back in the day before the dams were erected. The dam near the Elmendorf Golf Course used to have working fish ladders when I was a kid. I grew up fishing Ship between Elmendorf and Fort Rich. The trout and dolly fishing used to be great. Since the ladders do not work anymore, no fish get past the dam near Elmendorf. FYI, the military owns this dam.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    All five species used to go past the Glenn Highway back in the day before the dams were erected. The dam near the Elmendorf Golf Course used to have working fish ladders when I was a kid. I grew up fishing Ship between Elmendorf and Fort Rich. The trout and dolly fishing used to be great. Since the ladders do not work anymore, no fish get past the dam near Elmendorf. FYI, the military owns this dam.
    Oh boy I should have known. No wonder they chocked w/ hatchery mutts for the downtown pukes. They may as well throw a steelhead hatchery in too. The down town folks could knock boots w/ head all winter on their lunch