Thread: Remington 700 safety concerns

Default Remington 700 safety concerns

After watching the investigative reports on tv I am a little leary on using mine until I figure what to do to prevent a negligent discharge.
    My particular 700 is in 7mm Rem Mag and hasn't had the modification to open bolt while on safe, that is if you want to open the bolt it has to be on fire.
    I have never had a single issue with it as of yet and NEVER want to either.
    Can I just change the trigger out to a Jewel, Timney or Rifle Basix trigger and have all problems that were reported go away OR??????
    Rich

Yes if you change the trigger completely to anyone that you mentioned it will be fixed. I have all timneys in mine. I had a rifle basix and did not like it at all. IT broke like glass for the first couple hundred rounds then got real sloppy I figured it was getting broken in so I had it re adjusted and it still had alot of slop all kinds of take up and lots of over travel. Take that with a grain of salt as I may of had a dud but other reviews point towards similar expirences.

"all" the Remmys I've ever owned albeit standard or magnums have "never" discharged accidentally without me literally pulling the trigger. It appears the "enclosed" trigger assembly is the "said" culprit. Dirt, oil and rust is hard to clean if you don't take it apart which I have never done. I've used smiths to work my Remmys over and in the end just sold them all for one reason or the other. Yes, Jewel is a very good replacements but proper adjustments and cleanliness is the major component.

If you are set on changing out the trigger on your 700, go with a Jewell. They may cost more, but they are the BEST.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Every time I've heard of that, I suspect that the guy was doing his own trigger adjustments and it had nothing to do with the factory trigger. Or else someone in the factory skrewed up and set it wrong. It's always been possible to make a Remington trigger do that by getting too little sear engagement and adjusting the overtravel too tight. And it will feel fine until you put the safety on, pull the trigger with the safety on, then disengage the safety. Every smith I've ever worked with was well aware of it and checked for it after adjusting a trigger. A hobby gun butcher probably doesn't know and is quite proud of the trigger until he pulls the trigger with the safety on, then pushes the safety off. Bang. Lawyer up Remington, because you're going to pay for the ignorance.

Sniper if you want the bolt modification, bring it by, its free. Up to you. Want your trigger inspected. Free on Remington. Don't let the news panic you.

It happened on mine with a factory stock trigger about 25 years ago. It still has the factory paint on the screws. I cleaned it with brake cleaner and a high pressure air hose and it has been fine since. Dirt, oil, crud what ever in the trigger assy is the culprit or at least thats what was decided 25 years ago. They should be cleaned now and then and they are inclosed making them hard to get at without disassembly.

I had it happen to me a few years ago. I bought my uncles 700 adl 30.06, 80's model.

Trigger was unaltered. I cleaned it, adjusted to my liking, and never had another problem with it.