Thread: winter caribou

Default winter caribou

Next week marks my first opportunity to hunt as a resident, and it looks like the winter caribou hunt will be the only open season if I'm going to do anything before next year. So now that you know I'm a little green at this, you can forgive this dumb question I'm sure. If I try the White Mountain herd north of the Elliot Highway, is the 5 mile restriction in effect traveling out the Elliot or is it only along the Dalton? I'm not sure I want to wander five miles off the road in January or February.

I guess the first question should have been... Is it even worth it to drive up there and look around, or is it too dark and cold for the trouble?
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

If its your first dalton trip,,, take a buddy with experience plz

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Go to Kodiak for Blacktails

The white mtn herd is nowhere near the dalton hwy, so no don't need to worry about the 5 mile thing. From what I was told you need a sled and be prepared for a long drive. I was told they are hard to find not a big herd. This is no road hunt so that is what stopped us cause we had no sleds. Now that I do have sleds I plan on hunting the winter 40 mile hunt.

Since your in fbks, call the area bio at F&G. See if there is any bou around there. Pretty sure the 5 mile restriction doesn't start until north of the Yuk. R. bridge.
    Haven't heard of anyone getting bou around there.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I appreciate the help. It sounds like the Fortymile herd might be a better choice for my experience level. I guess I was hoping I could drive out the Elliot and do some glassing from a high spot, but there's no way I'm going to be able to convince my labrador or jack russell to pull a sled. Thanks everyone!

By sled I meant a gasp "snowmobile" sorry guys I said it... Anyhow alot fo these winter hunts you need a sled now that i have one my my hunting opportunities for hunting in Dec thru March has been opened as long as I can handle -20 weather.

~~LOL!~~I use a sled behind my snogo to pull home my Caribou....no need to apologize.....

I have big sleds for carrying large loads like my Camp, and small sleds fro hunting and a Basket type sled for my kids/old people to ride along in.
    Got asled to go fishing with, and a small sled for hauling drums of fuel.....~~LOL!!~~

Must be slang... Damb kids would call your bad sled "Sick"..... ~~LOL!!~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    ~~LOL!~~I use a sled behind my snogo to pull home my Caribou....no need to apologize.....

I have big sleds for carrying large loads like my Camp, and small sleds fro hunting and a Basket type sled for my kids/old people to ride along in.
    Got asled to go fishing with, and a small sled for hauling drums of fuel.....~~LOL!!~~

Must be slang... Damb kids would call your bad sled "Sick"..... ~~LOL!!~~
    I called my snowmachine my bike..... until I was brow beat into calling it a snowmachine..... my buddy from NY calls his a sled.....

My personal connotation is "Ride".......(I was just grabbin' a chuckle ) And MINE is made in the USA...most of it anyway, and probly assembled here....~~LOL!!~~

What are the Three good things in life Conan?

"To see your Enemys driven before you......the pillage of the Village, and the Laminations of the Women."

What are the three good things in life, Strangerinastrangeland??

"A new Woman, A new Ride, a new High....."

Things will never be like they used too......
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

My personal connotation is "Ride".......(I was just grabbin' a chuckle ) And MINE is made in the USA...most of it anyway, and probly assembled here....~~LOL!!~~

What are the Three good things in life Conan?

"To see your Enemys driven before you......the pillage of the Village, and the Laminations of the Women."

What are the three good things in life, Strangerinastrangeland??

"A new Woman, A new Ride, a new High....."

Things will never be like they used too......
    I bought a new gun based on your sig...... you better be right....

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    The white mtn herd is nowhere near the dalton hwy, so no don't need to worry about the 5 mile thing. From what I was told you need a sled and be prepared for a long drive. I was told they are hard to find not a big herd. This is no road hunt so that is what stopped us cause we had no sleds. Now that I do have sleds I plan on hunting the winter 40 mile hunt.
    White Mt herd is diff than the 40 mile herd I thought.

Yes it is, I plan on hunting the 40 mile hunt. But the white mtn hunt is always an option as well. I was just throwing that out there as an option the 40 mile hunt instead of the white mtn hunt.

I almost hunted the white mountain herd this year, but I think I am going to do the 40 mile since I only have a few days off in December. I just hope they adjust the hunt opener if there are too many bou near the highway, I would rather work harder than get shot or put up with the roadside slaughter insanity. Something about it makes people go nuts and do really stupid, dangerous, rude and or illegal things. I have had idiots come up from behind me and race past me ten feet away while I was trying to take a shot in the open at caribou just so they could get in front to shoot first, then chase the caribou on their machines across the ridge. People like that should just disappear in the hills never to be seen again. Thats not ignorance its just &@#holes

ok last question on this topic....

If you get a tag for the winter caribou hunt on a 2010 license, is the tag still good when you get a new license in 2011?

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    ok last question on this topic....

If you get a tag for the winter caribou hunt on a 2010 license, is the tag still good when you get a new license in 2011?
    Two seperate things. License is only good for the calendar year, and you must have one on your person any time you're hunting. Tag is valid during the dates specified for the given hunt.

Damb kids would call your bad sled "Sick"..... ~~LOL!!~~
    What would they call your good sled