Thread: Starter setup

Question Starter setup

I have decided to learn to trap after reading through all these posts. I have gone through and saved all the links and data etc.
    One question is, how many, and what types of traps would you start out with?
    The only thing I have trapped as mice!
    I will probably be limited to snow shoes and X-C ski's the first year (next winter). And I suppose I will be in the north end of the Mat-Su. I'm counting on you saying conibears, but what else would round out a beginner set?
    I think it would be fun to try and earn a few extra dollars to support my outdoor habits. Hey, at least it can help pay for itself! And it will get me outdoors into some beautiful country...

Thanks guys (and gals)!

reuben...

Get some snares, they are pretty inexpensive, or you can even make them your self.

Default Snares

I have some coated leader material in my packs and survival kits for emergency's but I doubt thats the ticket!
    Whats the best material to use, and where would be a good place to pick it up? (here in Mn or Alaska).

g'day

reuben...

It doesn't hurt to have a few traps to get started but I suggest you scout your area first and see what kind of sign is around,next figure how long of a line you are planning on having.Then you can get a feel on the amount and size of traps you will be needing.Too commen people get a pile of traps and then after being out in the field realize that they either have way to many traps or worse that you have some real odd ball stuff that isn't practical.No mattrer where you are trapping,you can't go wrong with some #1's,#3&4's and a few coni's and snares to get you started.

Default Good prices?

The local Fleet store has #330 conibears for $18.00 each. The tool thingy is $7.00 ea.
    Those sound like fair prices? I have never seen any traps at local garage sales here but I'm sure that up there will be different. My buddy (gunsmith) used to trap when he was a young'un and is selling off his old traps. I'm gonna go take a look this weekend and see what he has.
    If it's no trouble could you guy's post a pic of a snare setup? I'd like to see how you place it, etc for fox, lynx etc.
    I'll do a search as well when I get a chance. Finishing up a small remodeling job right now.....

G'day y'all...

reuben....

Didn't you say you read thru the threads here? Did you read my post on making a fox snare?
    If your in Minn., your right where one of the better trapping sullpy houses exists. Minnesota Trapline Supply. Just do google and you'll get their website.
    Your also next door to The Snare Shop. They are in Iowa. They also have a site, and their catalog is LOADED with drawings and pictures.
    There is also a sled load of alaskan info at www.trapperman.com. As well as the Alaska Trapping Forum.
    I would suggest joining the Nat. Trappers Assoc. and sibsrcribing to The Trapper and Predator Caller. You'll get 2 good mags from those places.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default starter advice

My wife and I started just 2 years ago. Picked up an array of traps at a garage sale and a few since then as well. We had no idea where we were going to trap, or how, at the time. I would start small (and used if possible) and add as you need. Porbably around 6-8 #330's would do you good for begining beav. Around 6-8 #4 legholds for lynx. one dozen #120's ($80-$100 new) and build some boxes for marten. A few #3's for fox and some snares. If your going to go for wolf you'll want some bigger leg holds and snares as well. As for $18 for 330's thats not bad if they are a good brand. Some cheaper traps like Duke for instance are not worth it. I picked up some used 330's in South Dakota over xmas (bridgers, almost new) for $13 apiece. Good luck its a lot of fun and a lot of work. I have learned more about critters and trapping in 2 years than you can imagine, winter is a whole different world. Even starting to get a few furs, put up 20 marten, 11 lynx and a couple fox this year. Still learning on the wolf though!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Didn't you say you read thru the threads here? Did you read my post on making a fox snare?
    Hey martentrapper!
    I did finally find your thread on building snares! They are very descriptive and I'll be sure to reference them.
    Actually I should have made my question more clear. I was hoping to find pics of the snares setup in the field.
    I read about setting them at certain heights for particular animals etc. Descriptions are great but I'm more visual...

Thanks again!

reuben...

Default getting started.....

Quote Originally Posted by cory100 View Post
    My wife and I started just 2 years ago. Picked up an array of traps at a garage sale and a few since then as well.

Hey cory... I appreciate the advice. Sounds like you have a bit more ambition than me!
    I also don't know much more about what I am doing, or want to do other than just wanting to do it! I do know I want to keep it simple and plan on just doing enough to learn on.
    Like hunting, it ain't over until it's in the freezer!
    I'm gonna keep my eye's peeled for used traps!

ciao....

reuben...