Thread: Mt Goat Kills Man!!!!

Default Mt Goat Kills Man!!!!

I was in Seattle the other day and some people there told me about this. I was skeptical but it is true. Must have been one ornery goat!!!

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._goats19m.html

I can sum up my lack of surprise at this article in one word: "Seattle."

So what really happened? here's my take from the article... parkies have no clue about good stewardship.

Non native species:
    "Mountain goats are not native to the Olympic park area, and their presence has been a subject of controversy before."
    (so now a man was killed by an introduced species)

warning signs:
    "'He's a very aggressive billy, a male, who blocks the trail, approaches people and doesn't want to take 'no' for an answer," McNulty said Monday."
    "He aggressively charged toward me," said Bihn. "He charges up to you, stops six to 12 feet away, snorts and scratches the ground to indicate he's in charge."

Denial:
    "We were aware of visitor reports coming in that a goat wouldn't get off the trail, or that a goat followed someone," said park spokeswoman Barb Maynes.
    "But she said, "Nothing led us to believe it was appropriate to take the next level, of removal.'"

Well, here's your clue, ma'am. It's a wild ANIMAL, threatening the health, lives and safety of PEOPLE. When that happens, removal is the ONLY option. Perhaps also, animal sex ed class would be appropriate for park officials... have you ever heard of the RUT?

And we can almost see the hand wringing: "Why would a beautiful wild goat, just defending his territory, just doing his thing, attack a human? Why, the human must have encroached on his territory! Bad human!" (well, thats what wild animals do; they follow their natural ways... and during the rut, their territory includes all ground they can see)

The man's death is a terrible tragedy. It sharply illustrates a philosophical divide in this country. Why didn't he have a weapon? I can't help but think he had been emasculated by the pervasive liberal philosophies of our times, and left unable to perform a husband and father's primary role, which is to protect and safeguard his family. After all, government now holds that role. We have no need of weapons ourselves, 'cause Unca will protect us. Trusting to his government's hirelings to keep him safe, hiking a trail with known goat problems, during the rut, he was reduced to using walking sticks for protection. Sadly, when fecal matter hits the fan, all philosophizing about harmony with fellow beings goes out the window, in a stark moment of truth.

There is already a thread discussing this here (http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ain-goat-in-WA)

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    I can't help but think he had been emasculated by the pervasive liberal philosophies of our times, and left unable to perform a husband and father's primary role, which is to protect and safeguard his family.
    Sure takes a pair to denigrate a now deceased guy who died after making sure that his companions were out of harm's way and stayed back to try to prevent the goat from following them. And then to turn it into a political rant, now that takes some SUPER cajones. We're all envious, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    There is already a thread discussing this here (http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ain-goat-in-WA)
    Sorry I had been gone for a couple days and did not search hard enough......