Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now the Navy is going to be doing testing in the Gulf I'd be very concerned

Default Now the Navy is going to be doing testing in the Gulf I'd be very concerned

I received this email from CDFU Cordova District Fishermen United and it looks like the Navy is going to try and screw up the Gulf of Alaska

Members of the fleet,

CDFU, and 35 other Alaska organizations, commented to strongly oppose the proposed Navy training activities in the Gulf of Alaska, however unfortunately the State has found that the impact from these activities is too small to worry about (and that they are virtually safe) - "De Minimis".

The proposed activities will include mid-frequency sonar testing (not harmful to whales, but the impacts to fish migration is unknown), dropping chemical laden missiles and detonating toxic bombs in the Gulf (off the coast of Seward, in a south-east trapezoid area). The activities will be conducted during the summertime, and CDFU commented that in addition to the unknown harmful effects on migrating fish species, and the contamination resulting from the weapon debris, the activities would be disruptive to summer fishing practices.

There were an impressive list of organizations that also opposed this training:
    Rob Cadmus - SEACC, Juneau
    Michele Metz - Sealaska Corporation, Juneau
    Marianne Jacobs - CCTHITA, Juneau
    Jane Gabler – Kenai Peninsula Borough
    Bob Shavelson – Cook Inlet Keeper
    Jennifer Gibbons – Prince William Sound Keeper
    Brenda Trefon - Kenaitze Indian Tribe
    Cinthia Ritchie – Seward Pheonix Log
    Dan Nelson – Kenai River Center
    Gary Porter – Bald Mountain Scientific
    Mark Luttrell – Resurrection Bay Conservation Alliance
    Matt Grey – Resurrection Bay Conservation Alliance
    Russ Maddox – Resurrection Bay Conservation Alliance
    Robert Baldwin – Friends of Cooper Landing
    Violet Yeaton – Port Graham VM Council
    Randi Iverson – Alaska’s Sadie Cove Wilderness Lodge
    Laurie Herman – Port of Anchorage
    Harbormaster – City of Whittier
    John Janik, Interim City Manager, Whittier
    Blake Kowal – Cook Inlet Region, Inc
    Cindi Bettin – CIRI Holly Kent – Anchorage Waterways Council
    Jeff Urbanus – Municipality of Anchorage
    Jill Galbraith – Loussac Library
    Kim Cunningham – Cook Inlet Region, Inc.
    June McAtee – Calista Corporation
    Niko Pastos – Alaska Intertribal Council
    Ralph Anderson – Bristol Bay Native Association
    Tom Hawkins – Bristol Bay Native Corporation
    Tammy Stromberg – City of Akutan
    Mike Lynch – Horizon Lines Wendy Varny - Ounalashka Corp
    Paul Roehl – BB Native Corporation
    Tom Hawkins – BB Native Corporation
    Rick Rogers – Chugach Alaska Corporation
    Rochelle Van Den Broek – Cordova District Fisherman United
    Charlie Powers – Koniag, Inc. G.
    Kevin VanHatten – Kodiak National Wildlife Refuge
    Rita Stevens – Kodiak Area Native Association
    Bud Cassidy – Kodiak Island Borough
    David Sulac – Bristol Bay Borough
    Catherine Inman – Wasilla Soil & Water Conservation District
    Garvan Bucaria – Wasilla
    Hazel Felton – Cook Inlet Region, Inc.
    Jim Arnesen – Eklutna, Inc.
    Kristie May Renfrew – USSWCD
    Valerie Conner – Alaska Center for the Environment
    Administrator - Native Village of Eklutna
    Diane Kinney – Port of Operations, Valdez
    Sarah VonBargen – Harbormaster’s Office, Valdez
    Chief Pat Norman – Port Graham Village Council
    Keith Rountree – MatSu Borough
    Gary Hennigh – City Manager, King Cove Planning
    Director - City of Unalaska
    Office of the Mayor – City of Cordova

Subject: Gulf of Alaska (US Navy Training Activities) - AK1008-10J: De Minimis Determination Response - Agreement

Hello All,

I have completed the ACMP review of the US Navy’s De Minimis Determination for the project identified as “Gulf of Alaska (US Navy Training Activities)”, AK 1008-10J: US Navy - Applicant, Ms. Amy Burt – Agent. Attached please find the Final Consistency Response.

Due to the size of the documents, I have posted the comments received in response to the Public Notice online at:ftp://ftp.dnr.state.ak.us/dcom/CDB_ID2010-0809J_NAVYGOATraining/. If you are unable to access this site, please contact me so that I may provide the documents to you.

If you have questions concerning this project in particular, or the ACMP consistency review process in general, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks,

Carrie

Carrie Bohan
    Project Review Supervisor
    Division of Coastal and Ocean Management
    Alaska Coastal Management Program
    Phone: (907) 465-8794
    Fax: (907) 465-3075
    carrie.bohan@alaska.gov
    www.alaskacoast.state.ak.us

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Doesn't surprise me a bit Steve. President Clinton declared Alaska a "test" state because of its lack of populace per square mile. We've been subjected to harmful radiation for years, mainly in the interior. read Nick Begiches book "Angels Don't Play That H.A.R.P." This isn't George Norry / Art Bell stuff folks this is serious!
    Haven't you ever wondered why so many of our friends that were raised in Cordova drop inexplicably from horrendous cancers. This is craziness and we better wake the frig up!

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Doesn't surprise me a bit Steve. President Clinton declared Alaska a "test" state because of its lack of populace per square mile. We've been subjected to harmful radiation for years, mainly in the interior. read Nick Begiches book "Angels Don't Play That H.A.R.P." This isn't George Norry / Art Bell stuff folks this is serious!
    Haven't you ever wondered why so many of our friends that were raised in Cordova drop inexplicably from horrendous cancers. This is craziness and we better wake the frig up!

The navy needs to test their equipment, I agree with that, they help keep out country safe, but I wish they would/could do it somewhere else where it would be known to not harm or disrupt anyone or any sea life, maybe there isn't such a place on this earth.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    HAARP is perfectly safe! You have nothing to worry about. Trust me! Oh, and the ingredients in the poisonous bombs they're going to drop in the ocean are completely natural, just like the oil in the gulf (the other gulf) and PWS; it's natural. We humans are natural. Therefore, everything we make, use, do (or drop in the ocean) is natural! There's nothing to worry about! Don't worry, be igno... I mean happy!

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    The navy needs to test their equipment, I agree with that, they help keep out country safe, but I wish they would/could do it somewhere else where it would be known to not harm or disrupt anyone or any sea life, maybe there isn't such a place on this earth.
    I can think of a couple of places that they could "test" any and all of their best S**T. Dump it all there and see whats crawling after its all over.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I can think of a couple of places that they could "test" any and all of their best S**T. Dump it all there and see whats crawling after its all over.
    The army has already found such a place. It's called Gerstle River. Unfortunately for the navy, the water's not deep enough there to test their crap.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    The army has already found such a place. It's called Gerstle River. Unfortunately for the navy, the water's not deep enough there to test their crap.
    Hell half that stuff wasn't even tested it was just left sitting on the lake ice when spring came. Technically they weren't dumping it, it was mother nature taking it back.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Hell half that stuff wasn't even tested it was just left sitting on the lake ice when spring came. Technically they weren't dumping it, it was mother nature taking it back.
    Mother Nature has been taking it alright...

Here's More
    Members of the fleet,

CORRECTION: Please note, there was an error with the organizations I listed as having opposed Navy training exercises during the Alaska Coastal Management Plan (ACMP) review process (see below). The list I included in my previous email is the distribution list that the ACMP sent their notification of review letter to, and is based on people that have shown interest in the project since it's inception - notably those that commented directly to the Navy's Environmental Planner (Amy Burt), and other interested stakeholders.

map.jpg

I apologize for any inconvenience or confusion this has caused!

Further to this email, please be aware that it is extremely likely that Navy training activities in the Gulf of Alaska will commence next April. The process has been very convoluted, and difficult to follow but where the process stands currently is that the Navy is completing it's final Environmental Impact Statement (EIS). According to the Navy's website: http://gulfofalaskanavyeis.com the final EIS should be available for review later this year. Following this time, we'll have a better idea of the alternative selected for training activities (Alternative 1 or Alternative 2 - more info below).

Regards,
    Rochelle

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

They already own the Persian Gulf. Let them do their testing there.
    Now what ?

Thanks for posting the CDFU correction, Steve.

I spoke to the Navy person who is responsible for explaining what is going on to the general public. They will be in the Gulf for 21 days and the area will only be closed for several days, while live five exercises are being conducted. The mid range sonar ( the freq. that is hard on fish and mammels) is not generally used on the shelf but more in deeper water.

So to me it sounds like the Navy is going to have a minimal impact on fishing in this case. I guess we will see what shakes out though.

AKCAPT, wasn't there U.S. Navy ships put of Seward a couple years ago? I know a couple smaller ships came into to port during some bad weather and a aircraft carrier was out in the gulf too. Do you remember thew year?
    Boatless

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

yup flush the toilet here, and somewhere in China the water level goes up...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

There were a couple of fast attack cruisers tied up 2 or 3 yrs back. Nice looking craft. There has been a submarine (USS Alaska) or 2 dock here as well. Quite a few years back the Navy, Marines & some other contry conducted winter exercises in Res Bay duiring the winter. The poor Marines that jumed into the water to try to swim in had to be rescued. This is the price we pay for being safe. Support our troops and give them what they need to do their job!! Their impact is generally minimal. Buy them a beer up at the Legion & show them some support and gratitude.

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    AKCAPT, wasn't there U.S. Navy ships put of Seward a couple years ago? I know a couple smaller ships came into to port during some bad weather and a aircraft carrier was out in the gulf too. Do you remember thew year?
    Yes they were here and contracted some of us to be target vessels during opertions Northern Edge. This is going to be that kind of joint exercise with an entire battle group combined with Army and Airforce forces. Actually it will be cool to watch the fighters come over the mountains and head out to sea. I am sure the live fire exercises will be dramatic. Maybe some other countries can make stuff cheaper than we can, but our sea/air/space superiority has been unmatched for my 46 years on this earth and it is awsome to see it in action.

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    I spoke to the Navy person who is responsible for explaining what is going on to the general public. They will be in the Gulf for 21 days and the area will only be closed for several days, while live five exercises are being conducted. The mid range sonar ( the freq. that is hard on fish and mammels) is not generally used on the shelf but more in deeper water.

So to me it sounds like the Navy is going to have a minimal impact on fishing in this case. I guess we will see what shakes out though.
    With all respect to you, do you think the guy from the Navy would tell you the truth??? or does he even know what and where they are going to be doing itHe's a public relations guy, his job is to apease the public? right?

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

With all respect to you, do you think the guy from the Navy would tell you the truth??? or does he even know what and where they are going to be doing itHe's a public relations guy, his job is to apease the public? right?
    Truer words have never been spoken.

I am fairly sure she knew what she was talking about. She gave me details of what the program was and was more than willing to get further unti the process of moving that boundry offshore is it is necessary. I worked for the Navy for many years as a civillian contractor participating in exactly these kind of exercises and was honestly surprised that she told me as much as she did. I am not going to go into the conversation on here any more than I have, but I am confident that there is nothing that is they are doing that is going to have much impact on sportfishing on the north gulf coast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast