Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Winter Salt Fishing

  1. #1

    Default Winter Salt Fishing

    I didn't want to hijack "Akgramps" thread on the downriggers.

    So my question to those of you who regularly fish in the winter (Homer, PWS, Seward, what have you), How do you clean your boat and gear? My own experience in Homer is its pretty tough to do my normal clean at the end of day. There's no more fresh water on the dock, so that makes cleaning the boat impossible unless I pull it. Gear? I'm just wondering what you guys do. "Muttley"? "Cliffhanger"? Anybody? Do you fellas haul your boats out daily? I'm just curious. "Muttley" said in the downrigger thread he doesn't want the possibility of failure, and I get that. If you can't maintain gear and equipment well because of whatever..., in this case, fresh water and freezing temps, you invite failure. I try and be meticulous, and I can't be as much as I'd like this time of year. You guys that have clients daily must have nightmares.

    Hey "Muttley", just an aside to the downrigger thread, I've used an electric reel (Miya Epoch) on a friend's boat and the experience was thoroughly enjoyable. We were fishing really deep, and caught some really nice fish. I would never have gone that deep if it wasn't for the reel's capabilities. It was hardly easy fishing. Everything was the same except for the reel up and the bait check.

    Anybody want to comment on either of these two subjects? I'm bored

    JimA

  2. #2

    Default

    I leave my boat in my slip all winter. To keep it clean I do my best to make sure I don't get it that dirty while I'm out there then just use a bucket over the side for clean up. My fish box drains directly back out into the water, so as long as I can lug water from over the edge of the boat I can keep it clean without any problem, and I keep an auxiliary bilge pump at hand that I can stick in the bilge when water gets in there and then drain the pump when I'm done so it won't freeze up.

    To each his own on the electric reel thing and on the electric downriggers. Maybe I'm too much of a "purist" for not liking the thought of using either one. I personally prefer the experience of having to actually reel the fish in---having to adjust the drag and actually turn the handle of the reel as part of the fight. I think that is an important aspect of the "fishing" experience. But that's just me. I just feel if you start "electrifying" every single thing you do to get that fish in the boat you might as well just hand the rod to someone else and have them reel it in, or better yet just go out on the boat, site see for a while and then stop at Safeway and buy the fish on your way home. Sure, the electric reel doesn't make it a totally easy experience, but it does make it somewhat easier (the reel up and the bait check), so it's mostly a matter of how much easier you want the experience to be. I'll stick with keeping my biceps and triceps in shape reeling up my own fish and downrigger weight.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  3. #3
    Member Cliffhanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Homer, Alaska, USA
    Posts
    732

    Default We'll see...

    This is the first winter I'll have Skookum in the water all season, so I don't yet have experience with cold weather to report any solutions. I expect I'll be bringing my rods and reels home for a bathtub rinse every other outing.

    Skookum is in the shop this week getting some upgrades. I wasn't happy with the output on the Espar Airtronic 2, so I'm getting the 4 installed. Also, Cannon electric downriggers to save my right elbow from any further tendinitis (guests and clients - but not my 85-year old mother - will need to reels their own bait back up from now on....) I'm also having a wide angle video camera installed (hooked into my Raymarine chartplotter) so I can watch the trolling rods from the comfort of my (upgraded) heated cabin.

    Not sure electric reels are in my future (maybe when I"M 85-years old)...

    Here's a link to an online gallery of Skookum in action this summer.

  4. #4
    Member fullbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,674

    Default

    All I know is I'll be doing my homework before the winter king derby. I'll be hiring the guide that consistently posts the biggest king pics. Keep in mind the guide that wins my business will more than likely be catering to the 2011 winter king derby champion

  5. #5
    Member kenaibow fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    All I know is I'll be doing my homework before the winter king derby. I'll be hiring the guide that consistently posts the biggest king pics. Keep in mind the guide that wins my business will more than likely be catering to the 2011 winter king derby champion
    I don't know if you get on there or not but there is a guy named coho dave?????? I think that goes out there in the winter a lot and he posts reports a lot on private anger. Should help with the home work. Good luck to you in your quest for the one.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    I expect I'll be bringing my rods and reels home for a bathtub rinse every other outing.
    I've done it quite a bit, but it's a major PITA. I usually spend up to two hours on a boat and gear clean every time I use the boat in the summer months (Apr-Sep). Leaving the boat and gear without the cleaning drives me crazy.

    "Muttley", I don't think I'll run out and invest in the electric reels, but the ones I used were extremely high end, and worked flawlessly. BTW, the drag adjustment is just like on any other reel. As for the manual downriggers, if I couldn't give my electrics a freshwater bath every usage, I'd go all manual as well. I had to chuckle a little about your "electrifying everything" statement. You use underwater cameras, for god's sake (I really enjoy the videos, BTW).

    "Fullbush", You'll have plenty of competition for that derby winner. I'll be just one of about 800+ trying to disappoint you.

    JimA

  7. #7
    Member fullbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Homertime View Post
    "Fullbush", You'll have plenty of competition for that derby winner. I'll be just one of about 800+ trying to disappoint you.

    JimA
    Yeah well lets talk it up Jim. Lets get over a 1000, that'll make my purse quite handsome

  8. #8
    Member Maast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    This is the first winter I'll have Skookum in the water all season, so I don't yet have experience with cold weather to report any solutions. I expect I'll be bringing my rods and reels home for a bathtub rinse every other outing.

    Skookum is in the shop this week getting some upgrades. I wasn't happy with the output on the Espar Airtronic 2, so I'm getting the 4 installed. Also, Cannon electric downriggers to save my right elbow from any further tendinitis (guests and clients - but not my 85-year old mother - will need to reels their own bait back up from now on....) I'm also having a wide angle video camera installed (hooked into my Raymarine chartplotter) so I can watch the trolling rods from the comfort of my (upgraded) heated cabin.

    Not sure electric reels are in my future (maybe when I"M 85-years old)...

    Here's a link to an online gallery of Skookum in action this summer.
    Pretty boat! Not to hijack the thread, but I've been meaning to ask you how your center front door has worked out for you and how your bow boarding ladder/ramp/thingy has worked out.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Homertime View Post
    "Muttley"I had to chuckle a little about your "electrifying everything" statement. You use underwater cameras, for god's sake (I really enjoy the videos, BTW).
    Well, if you could say that using them makes the experience of fishing any easier I might agree that they're an additional "electrifying" aspect of the whole thing. And I hate to say it, but I don't use them for kings. I discovered last year that they seem to scare kings into not biting. Weird.

    Fullbush---I'm booked for the derby already (myself!), so I guess I'm out of the running, huh? With a 27 and 28 pounder under my belt in the last month or so I think I'll be gunning for the big prize money myself.

    Kenaibow fan---I think I know that Coho Dave guy. It's almost like he and I think exactly alike!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  10. #10
    Member Cliffhanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Homer, Alaska, USA
    Posts
    732

    Default

    Maast- Love the boat, period. Walk thru windshield is a must when I'm running the boat by myself, especially when docking. The open v-bow/steps makes hitting the beach (sorry, I mean "kissing" the beach) a breeze when we're dropping folks off at the cabin, or bringing supplies on and off at the cabin. As I mentioned, I just couldn't imagine my 85-year old mother (who is 90% blind, btw) crawling over the bow and using a ladder to get on and off. But the steps she navigated easily and it made the experience of boating and halibut fishing that much more enjoyable. I'll post some photos of that drop-down bow in action sometime soon.

  11. #11
    Member Raptor_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    1,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Kenaibow fan---I think I know that Coho Dave guy. It's almost like he and I think exactly alike!
    Hahahaha this one made me chuckle Dave.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Well, if you could say that using them makes the experience of fishing any easier I might agree that they're an additional "electrifying" aspect of the whole thing. And I hate to say it, but I don't use them for kings. I discovered last year that they seem to scare kings into not biting. Weird.

    Fullbush---I'm booked for the derby already (myself!), so I guess I'm out of the running, huh? With a 27 and 28 pounder under my belt in the last month or so I think I'll be gunning for the big prize money myself.

    Kenaibow fan---I think I know that Coho Dave guy. It's almost like he and I think exactly alike!
    Ya know....I really like Mutley, Coho Dave is his evil twin.....All I can say is WOW.....

  13. #13
    Member fullbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post

    Fullbush---I'm booked for the derby already (myself!), so I guess I'm out of the running, huh? With a 27 and 28 pounder under my belt in the last month or so I think I'll be gunning for the big prize money myself.
    What? I thought you already had me booked? Doesn't that just beat all I got stood up by a charter guy hmph!
    I'll be inquiring w/ one of the Kodiak boats unless my buddy Homerdave wants to let me tag along when he's "going to work", I'm pretty sure Homerdave tosses back 28 pounders and lets em grow up

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    What? I thought you already had me booked? Doesn't that just beat all I got stood up by a charter guy hmph!
    I'll be inquiring w/ one of the Kodiak boats unless my buddy Homerdave wants to let me tag along when he's "going to work", I'm pretty sure Homerdave tosses back 28 pounders and lets em grow up
    Hmmmm. I catch 28 pounders on my way to work, while I'm working and on my days off. Hard to beat that!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •