Thread: Denali Highway update from Alpine lodge Tier II hunting

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Denali Highway update from Alpine lodge Tier II hunting

well we made it in, 39 degrees at cantwell when we made the turn. road is in good condition to about 120 mile then it is rough and icy all the way to 64 mile then there is about 4 inches of snow on the road to Mclaren area... talked to a few folks that came all the way across (potlatching for moose) tons of bou on the paxton end of the highway and along the rich... we have seen several herds crossing infront of us today and one group of about 1000 on the hillside with three camps under them awaiting daylight.

i also talked to the Cantwell wildlife trooper... just to make sure ..

THERE ARE NO ANTLER RESTRICTIONS ... NO UGLIES AS THE BOG CALLED THEM... ANTLERS DO NOT NEED TO BE CUT

there will be by the sounds about 6 AWT patroling the denali coridoor. checking for cut tags and shooting from road violatoins. so double check yourself and know where you are at. don't forget there is a control use area on the north side of the highway between mclaren and big sue. NO ATV for hunting.

will be on the road at first light, and will post later on the status... if Denali snow can get her mail... i will stick around to help her get one home too... i dont expect this hunt to last long...

have fun be safe...

vince

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Best of luck Vince! Sounds like you should have it in the bag come morning. I won't be able to head up until next weekend, so save a couple for me ehh?

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Good luck, Were headed up friday, Have reservations at the Mclaren lodge for Sat...

headed up there sometime... after I get my state one here

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I've heard from fuel truckers and the folks at the Haarp site that there are groups above Summit Lake to the Chistochina trail and with the presumed pressure the latter area may be fruitful within a few days-of the opener..... we're going to get the good nights sleep friday night and head out real early saturday

Good report Vince. Having been up to Cantwell in April (griz), its fun to read the report and look at my map from 3000 miles away.

Good luck to ya Vince! Safe hunting and straight shooting, look forward to an update of how it went soon.

Thanks for taking the time to give an update Vince.
    It is nice to know that there are "ALASKANS" out there, no matter where they live.

Yeah, thanks for the update. Not sure I want to head that far past the Big Sue. See what my hunting partner thinks. Also, thanks for clarifying on the antlers. Good Luck.

Best of luck to all the bou hunters! Hoping to put up some meat myself this weekend, might be staying at Alpine Creek .............Got some minor logistics to work out though, fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    Yeah, thanks for the update. Not sure I want to head that far past the Big Sue. See what my hunting partner thinks. Also, thanks for clarifying on the antlers. Good Luck.
    Your hunting partner thinks we will go where we find the caribou... and they say I'm the smart one of the bunch.....

Yep, caribou are everywhere up there. Pretty epic. I witnessed a shooting violation as some hero was shooting in the middle of the Richardson Hwy as caribou were running across the road like 10 yards away from him.

On the plus side, this heffer-lady of an anti-hunter was up there with her old man and I pulled up next to them and gave them a piece of mind. She was running around screaming, just make herself look pathetic. I told her to out there and run amongst the caribou if she felt it was so needed. I'm not biased.