Thread: weight of green caribou cape

Default weight of green caribou cape

Can anybody tell me what a green caribou cape weighs?
    Thanks
    Bruce

Default of course it varies...

but somewhere between #45-60 seems about right...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

i'm gonna say 45lb is pretty heavy on a shoulder mount caribou cape thats been fleshed. i wouldnt say more than 25lbs, caribou hair his hollow hair and leather is pretty thin, shouldnt be as heavy as a bag of dog food by any means. no offense meant, but i'm pretty sure 45 is really really high.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Weight of green caribou cape

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    i'm gonna say 45lb is pretty heavy on a shoulder mount caribou cape thats been fleshed. i wouldnt say more than 25lbs, caribou hair his hollow hair and leather is pretty thin, shouldnt be as heavy as a bag of dog food by any means. no offense meant, but i'm pretty sure 45 is really really high.
    This is a shot in the dark, because I have not weighed one. But I do know that they're very light. Caribou skin is only slightly thicker than deer skin; but the overall thickness of the cape is due, as BRWNBR alludes, to the thick, hollow hair. I have never left a cape at a kill site because it was too heavy.

I cut mine pretty long, too, at the mid-body area (see attached photo, where the mid-body cut is visible). I would say 20-30# on the average, if that.

I'm curious why you ask...

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

thats a cool pic mike...
    Master guide 212

Default SHipping

Just trying to figure out all the shipping etc.
    Thanks all
    Bruce

Default make sure to add salt weight

as both mike and brwnbr have stated capes are light,and word of wise one would always want a little extra as in mike's photo for who's doing the mounting to work with,one would want to make sure cape is salted to preserve.never know how long before it gets to its destination.

Wink okay..maybe a little high...

but as i was guiding the mulchatna herd it hes been a while since i packed a big cape.
    my guess was my best recollection of carrying a green unfleshed hide 2-3 miles back to camp...but we all exaggerate in retrospect, eh?
    heck, that 'bou weighed at least #450, cape musta been at least #50 <grin>
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Thanks, but...

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    thats a cool pic mike...
    Yeah,

That's the last one that I tried packing out the whole thing in one load! Camp was 6.5 miles from this lovely spot and we got in about 1:30am; thankfully my partner put a lantern out on the gravel bar that we could see for the last mile or so. Made a big difference, lemme tell you- seeing that little speck of light out in the vast, dark wilderness! Ended up taking me three trips, and each was the absolute worst pack ever. Thankfully the last two loads were not so far, as I found another place for the plane to land.You can't tell from the photo, but we were in a hanging valley with steep sidewalls. I was wearing hip boots (how come those bulls don't just come down to the riverbottom anyway)? It was a nightmare... the stuff that builds character, don't you know!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

man its amazing what a little light will do to the spirit on sweaty dark pack out...wow.
    Master guide 212

Talking bright lites & brownies

Mike: You got in at 1:30 am? Hey now, that's pretty darn good time, even for such a short pack! I can relate to your story about the lantern on the sand bar and how it gives one a shot of adrenalin. We did that one year packing bou by compass in a sideways snowstorm and at last light, we saw a brown bear following us. Decided to drop the meat 1/4 mile from camp because the last thing we needed was a bear in camp, especially, because the boats had some blood in them. Our buds put out a lantern on the bank that we could see for the last two hours and got in around 3 am. Don't need that again...and yes, the bear did get the meat, but that's another story.

Default memories-

Quote Originally Posted by Maydog View Post
    Mike: You got in at 1:30 am? Hey now, that's pretty darn good time, even for such a short pack! I can relate to your story about the lantern on the sand bar and how it gives one a shot of adrenalin. We did that one year packing bou by compass in a sideways snowstorm and at last light, we saw a brown bear following us. Decided to drop the meat 1/4 mile from camp because the last thing we needed was a bear in camp, especially, because the boats had some blood in them. Our buds put out a lantern on the bank that we could see for the last two hours and got in around 3 am. Don't need that again...and yes, the bear did get the meat, but that's another story.
    Yeah, when it gets to that point you're just putting one foot in front of the other until the last one ends up at the tent... They say you're supposed to forget that stuff over time, but I remember some of those nights. Sheesh!

My partner was like that... he was one of those once-in-a-lifetime guys. We just knew each other well enough to guess pretty well what the other was up to and what was going down. He knew we must have gotten something that day and left the lantern out for us. The next night I didn't come back at all. The plan was he'd hunt grizzly with my hunter and his, because we had a bruin working our moose kill. I would go back up for the rest of the caribou. I got the rest of the critter packed out to the strip, but ended up spending the night out there because it was too late to come back and I was just flat beat. The next morning the three of them came back up there to check on me, but the deal was done by then.

Oh yeah, they got the bear too!

Great memories!

-Mike