Thread: Help with Denting Problem

Default Help with Denting Problem

I'm rather new to reloading and I'm having problems with my 300 weatherby brass denting when I'm resizing. I've made certain there's no lube on the neck/shoulder areas, but they are still denting just below the shoulder. What am I doing wrong? Out of about 25 rounds 13 came out dented. If it helps any I'm using a single stage Lee press and new Redding dies. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Use the Lee case lube. Sounds like a friction problem to me or your die is not set to the proper depth. Too deep will dent the cases also.
    Just some things to look at. If your using Lee carbide dies, you shouldn't need lube in most cases. Also, are you using full length dies or just neck dies? I recomment the full length die sets and get the factory crimp die also.

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy44 View Post
    I'm rather new to reloading and I'm having problems with my 300 weatherby brass denting when I'm resizing. I've made certain there's no lube on the neck/shoulder areas, but they are still denting just below the shoulder. What am I doing wrong? Out of about 25 rounds 13 came out dented. If it helps any I'm using a single stage Lee press and new Redding dies. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Could you post a pic of the problem?

There are several possibilities. For starters, I'd clean the inside of the sizing die with a spray solvent (brake cleaner or the like) and try again. Are you bumping the die with the shellholder during sizing? If so I'd back the die off a half of a turn and try again.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Default Thanks for the quick response.

GrizzlyH and 1Cor15:19 thank you both for the fast response. The issue must have been the adjustment of the die. I just readjusted and have now resized about 30 rounds with no issue. In response to your earlier question GrizzlyH, I am using full length dies. 1Cor I did have the die touching the shell holder. Thanks again for both of your help.

Glad we were of help to you.
    Good luck with your reloading.
    If you ever get a chance, get yourself the Lyman reloading Data Book. (49th print)
    It will be one of the best reloading books you can get. Sportsmans Warehouse sells them.

I forgot to mention and this can help you a bunch in setting up your press dies. Go to Lees site and check their vids on setting up dies in your press. Lee has a great site for how to use their products.
    http://www.leeprecision.com/html/HelpVideos/video.html

The die adjustment shouldn't make dents but any crud or excess lube will. I asume the dies are new. All new dies should be cleaned before use as the manufacture uses some form of rust preventitive on them for shipping. Also there is a small hole in the neck area of the die to allow trapped air to escape during sizing. Make sure that hole is clear. You didn't say what type lube you are using or how much. Use just enough to cover the side walls of the case with a thin coat. The bottom half of the case is more important than the top and of course the neck shoulder should at most have a very thin coat. Going slowly on the last bit of sizing can help also. My favorite case lube is the Hornady Unique case lube.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    The die adjustment shouldn't make dents but any crud or excess lube will. I asume the dies are new. All new dies should be cleaned before use as the manufacture uses some form of rust preventitive on them for shipping. Also there is a small hole in the neck area of the die to allow trapped air to escape during sizing. Make sure that hole is clear. You didn't say what type lube you are using or how much. Use just enough to cover the side walls of the case with a thin coat. The bottom half of the case is more important than the top and of course the neck shoulder should at most have a very thin coat. Going slowly on the last bit of sizing can help also. My favorite case lube is the Hornady Unique case lube.
    Very true, but I disagree with your lube for Lee dies. Lee lube is the recommended lube for Lee dies and I have several reloading friends that swear by it in any brand of die. It also doesn't affect your powder charge as some lubes can.

I don't disagree that Lee lube is good. I just like the Unique lube better. For some reason all of the company's recommend their particular lube on their dies as being the best ever. I have tried Lee,RCBS, Hornady one shot, lanolin, Imperial die wax, STP. Castor oil, Unique and others in a side by side test. Although the test didn't use scales for measuring force on the press handle, Unique consistantly showed the least force needed to resise cases to me and also is not destructive to powder. Castor oil works very well also but is messy. Please don't take this as any kind of Lee bashing as it's not. I have a lot of Lee equiptment and I like what I have. By the way, with rare exception, carbide dies only come in straight wall case design.

Yes lube doesn't cause any issue with powder charging, unless you are using way to much and slopping it in the case itself, the other issue is lee die lube, far from the best, any lube that works in one die will work in the next, Imperial die wax is one of the finest and works with just a minute amount, I own at least 30 different calibers of dies, by at least 6 different manufacturers and been loading over 35 years. This is a common problem with new reloaders, most use to much lube, when you bottom the die out it compresses the lube and there is no where for it to go, the neck area of your brass needs the least amount, if you have to much it will dent, if you back the die off now you have created an air pocket for lube to collect in without compressing it enough to indent the brass, if you do as 1cor15:19 said and clean it well you should be able to bottom out you die without denting on a full lenght die, a collet sizing die you can give to much preasure on the collet it will cause case deformation, but as I said any resizing lube will work and no matter which one you use it will cause problems if you use to much. One other thing, I would never crimp a bottel neck cartridge, I don't even recommend a crimp unless loading for a revolver, and then only enough to hold the bullets in place under recoil.