Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Valdez Sharks

Default Valdez Sharks

Does anyone know if it would pay to run out of Valdez in the middle of March for Salmon Sharks, I have done a little research and found that they typically follow the salmon runs and you have to run quite a ways out in order to find them. Ok so this is what i was wondering I have a 16ft inflatable and would like to head to Valdez and possibly hook into a shark or two. If they are even present that time of year? If anyone has a tid bit of info it would be greatly apprecatied. thanks
    There's plenty of room for all Gods creatures; right next to the mashed potatoes!

First of all, I don't think they're available at that time of year - at least not in easily fishable concentrations. The charter operations tend to do best in July and August when millions of pinks are pouring into the Sound.

Secondly, (and please don't be offended - for I don't intend any disrespect), but in my opinion it would be the very definition of insanity to chase salmon sharks in a 16 ft. inflatable. First of all, a 16' boat is far too small to safely battle and land one of these creatures. These sharks are commonly in the 300+ lb. range, and often larger. They are reputed to fight much like other large gamefish, with reel-scorching runs and dives that would pull such a boat around like it was a bobber. Besides the size issue, these sharks have lots of very sharp teeth and can be quite aggressive when near (or in) the boat. I wouldn't want to be sitting in 1,000 ft., 38 degree water with an angry shark in a boat that could potentially deflate if gouged by a wayward shark bite.

Yeah, that's the worst-case scenario - maybe you could make it work (in late summer), but man...that just seems like you're asking for trouble. Better to pay the cost of a charter to see what salmon shark fishing is all about. Then you can make an educated decision about whether you can tackle this on your own.

-Brian

Default Are you kidding?

Are you kidding? Seriously? You want to take a 16 foot boat and hook into a fish that is 12' or greater and weighs more than the boat and occupants combined.

No charters are out in March that I know of. They have a lay-up period for insurance purposes and don't usually start till May. Yes the sharks do follow the salmon runs and may be in around July or August you might stand a chance out of Val in the Zodiac then.

The guides usually use 20' steel leaders because the tail can cut the line with ease. How do you think the raft will hold up to the same abuse?

Wait till mid summer and take a charter.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Easily my favorite thread of all time.

I asked him to post that so you guys wouldn't think I was so crazy for wanting to camp on the Upper Russian......

Just ribbing you Dux.......I've been known to do some pretty wild things, but.....................eh, who am I kidding....I'd go with you. LOL

shark fishing out of a 18 foot woolridge is fun.. But its definatly not a rubber boat that can be popped.

I always wanted to do it out of my 20ft willie but I haven't done it yet. I have caught one in June out by Montegue with Bob of Saltwater Safari, we landed 4 and had a bunch more on, it was a blast. Although I was on the trip that had the undercover officer! It was a bad deal, a lot more to the story than I can post in a reasonable space, but all in favor of Bob.

Default boat

By the way, he forgot to say it's a Sevylor inflatable boat.

it's not the tail that can cut the line, it's the skin. There skin is made up of tmillions of little hooks and is very abrassive (like sand paper). Don't use tuff line like on your halibut gear use a heavy mono. Good luck and I hope I read a story about little boat big fish and not about some kind of horrific accident. March is no time for anyone to be in alaska water

Default Inflatable Sharks

A 16 foot inflatable? Chicken, try an 8 foot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Uh, Rick? We're going to need a story there.

-Brian

Default I gotta hear about this one!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthRick View Post
    A 16 foot inflatable? Chicken, try an 8 foot.
    Fill us in.

Default Shark story

Alright, I’ll confess, I did not catch this shark with this inflatable. It is actually the dingy to our 28’ fiberglass, cabin cruiser. We caught it from the 28' boat but me and my fishing partner were too wimpy to get the 300+ pound shark into the boat. We tied it off to the side and went into a nearby cove and anchored up. We then tied the shark to the dingy and I dragged it to shore to butcher. You don’t really “clean” or “fillet” something that big. One interesting note is that they are semi warm blooded. Weird feeling to stick your hand inside a fish and find it warm.

Although I did not catch that shark with the dingy, I did hook one with it. We could see them breaking the surface and were trolling around but none would bite. After an hour of this I decided the engine noise was putting them off. So I jumped in the dingy with my rod and set about trolling by rowing (My partner’s wife took video of sharks jumping out of the water right next to me). Eventually they got bored, put down the camera and went about trolling with the “big” boat about a quarter mile away.

Meanwhile, I was still trolling about in the dingy. Suddenly the drag started screaming and I grabbed the rod. Off I went, going backwards, Jaws style, thinking to myself that maybe this wasn’t such a good idea. I started screaming for my partners to bring the boat over but they couldn’t hear me for about 10 minutes. Finally, they realized what was happening and started over, but before they got to me the shark came off.

My heart was going a mile a minute and I started reeling in the line. We had 16 foot steel leaders and when I got to that point, I set the rod down and started handlining the leader in. About the same time the mangled chunk of bait came into view, about 3 feet from my hand, a head appeared, gliding out from under the dingy! I freaked, let go of the leader, and the shark grabbed the bait and went down. It spun me and the dingy around twice before letting go. I was so stunned I never set the hook.

About that time my fishing partners pulled along side and I was done fishing from the dingy!

Here’s a shot of me doing my Ahab imitation on the shark we did catch from the relative safety of our larger boat.

Smile

Did any of you ever watch "Jaws"?
    Tennessee

wow I've caught 2 sharks but hooked into several, and I think I would have craped my pants if that fish would have came up and grabed the bait like that. how big was he?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeypeet View Post
    Easily my favorite thread of all time.
    Have to second this.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thumbs up Yeeee Haaa!!!

Rick got the blood a pumpin!!! I'll stick to the Homer Halibut this March guys! but when the salmon start to run I'll be headed to the V in search of that free ride!! That 8 foot story sounds nuts! I think just to have one on and fight it for a while would be enough for me!
    There's plenty of room for all Gods creatures; right next to the mashed potatoes!

Default Salmon Shark?

What kind of shark is that in the picture?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default One more pic

Wildog, yes, it is a salmon shark.

Thought I'd throw up one more photo to substantiate my story.

Default Love it

Ya got to love the style of Alaskan's. I think I will try it next fall. I have a heavy, heavy G L Loomis shark rod that was a gift with a large Penn reel on it. Just need the terminal end equipment.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast