Thread: south

Default south

I may be showing my ignorance here, but I'm really struggling with this idea of a one month season and watching the birds fly away. My question is about the coast... I've read about folks going down to K-Bay to hunt sea ducks, but could one do the same thing down at Valdez or Cordova? Do you have to get out in the waves to see anything, or is it just as good to hunt in the river, and if you hunt in the river, how soon does it freeze? My boat wouldn't be much use on the ocean, but I can run around in the river if that's an option.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Valdez is sea duck hunting on the ocean outside the bay area mostly. You get out around some of the islands to the west and hunt from shore after stashing the boat out of site. there may be some spots just to the south of town to hunt at. I know that the one guide down there that hosts some TV show people goes a ways out to get into some prime spots. If you are in a little river boat and the wind comes up to create 3 foot standing waves you had better bring all you need to spend the night or three.

Cordova is river/marsh hunting for puddlers or you can cross over to Hawkins Island and hunt the salt. You will have to take a ferry over if you want to use your own boat.

From what I understand u can also take the ferry from Homer to Kodiak and get off at Port Lyons and hunt there, motorhome would be ideal and tow a duck boat, should be open water and ducks there thoughout the season. All it takes is cash and time. Bud

Don't wast your time and money, there are no ducks in cordova, or anywhere near it. I wouldn't lie to you.

I don't think it sounds like a real great idea this season, especially since it's already been a successful duck season and the ptarms are around. Maybe when I go fishing next summer I'll scout around a little for a duck hunting spot around Valdez... I was mostly looking for somewhere on this side of the state since it's 12-14 hrs by truck to Homer. If I were still in Anchorage I'd drive down there in a heartbeat. Shoot, when I was in Tennessee, we were wedged between the mountains and the ducks were all 400 miles away and it was nothing to drive west all night to find some. Nothing like duck hunting to empty out your gas tank and check book.

Do a search for my old posts if you want info and pics about Cordova. That's the duckiest place I've ever been with almost zero hunting pressure. It's not just sea ducks either. Mallards and pintails are there all winter long. The rivers do eventually freeze but not until January or February which is after the season closes anyway.

I'll sure do it. Thanks y'all.

Ring King is also really good at photo shop....you can easily see those little black "ghost" outlines around all the birds.....

.... so as AK Duckman says there are no ducks in Cordova.

Quote Originally Posted by Ring King View Post
    Do a search for my old posts if you want info and pics about Cordova. That's the duckiest place I've ever been with almost zero hunting pressure. It's not just sea ducks either. Mallards and pintails are there all winter long. The rivers do eventually freeze but not until January or February which is after the season closes anyway.
    Sir Please quit making things up.

OK, lets have it. Who is telling the truth about Cordova ducks, and who is trying to keep the hords of Anchoage hunters from going over there and driving out the ducks. Bud

I can't wait to give Cordova a try.

Ler's put it this way, I', not leaving the Kenai Peninsula or Cordova to look for a hotspot on those hayflats I keep hearing about. Never hunted up that way and haven't found a need too.