Thread: 300 win mag rebarreled to a 375

Default 300 win mag rebarreled to a 375

I have a 90ies model 70 winchester model that is a 300 win mag right now. After getting a 300 wsm that shots better then it I have decided to rebarrel it. I have a 338-06 so I thought the best thing to do would turn it into a 375 H&H, Will these fit in the magazine or would there have to be work done to it? from what I can tell the 375 has the same bolt and it about .020 longer then the win mag. Any help would be great.

Just to add to the question:

How would a rebarrel to 375 (or 416!) Ruger be vs. the H&H? Same base action.

Thank you.

Again, check out the .358 NORMA MAG. Easy change over with out dealing with the H&H length. A real killer and a very flat shooting cartridge !!! My next project!!
    Goo

If I did do it im pretty set on the 375 H&H. I figured that I need a big bore bear rifle. I also figured that getting shells for teh 375 would be easier. I do hand load, but if my shells got lost I could replace them easly where I would be using in the areas I would be using it in.

If loosing your shells is your worst concern --- Maybe you should stick with the other stuff?? You can buy the .358 NORMA cartridge at any decent gun store?? They are a Swedish company that has been around about 100 yrs.
    I personally use a .458wm on Kodiak, penn. work and the long shooters up north!! God i hate looking for wounded BEAR.
    Again it's all about shot placement!!!
    Good luck--

Maybe you should stick with the other stuff?? You can buy the .358 NORMA cartridge at any decent gun store?? They are a Swedish company that has been around about 100 yrs.
    When was the last time you saw a box of 358 Norma mag in AK? Or anywhere? Except on a gun show junk table and you dont know whats in there.

Great cartridge. For the advanced reloader

Double tap and Norma offer loaded rounds but at a whopping 76 dollars a box up to 89 dollars before shipping and handling and whatever else. As Wildalaska said it is a reloading proposition... Also to get a 375 H&H to work will take some work not much and good GunSmith can do it if they can get the 375 H&H to feed out of a 98 Mauser they can do it with your Winchester. All depends how much you want to spend on this project in the end better off buying a 375 H&H.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Also to get a 375 H&H to work will take some work not much and good GunSmith can do it if they can get the 375 H&H to feed out of a 98 Mauser they can do it with your Winchester. All depends how much you want to spend on this project in the end better off buying a 375 H&H.
    lots of metal needed to be removed....I've thought of this when my 1909 Arg. action needed a barrel etc. went with the 9.3x64 cartridge in the end. This too was a great expense but...I've a rather nicely built M98 w/dbl. sq. bridges and lots of quality parts. Ever consider a good "stopper" cartg.? perhaps a .458 Win. Mag with 500 grn. Hornady RN? Your action would house this round well....

The Mod 70 (any belted magnum) conversion to 375 H&H is fairly simple because there is only one standard length receiver. The gunsmith removes the 1/4" spacer at the rear of the mag box, mills the rear bridge to open the loading port slightly, drills and taps a new scope mount hole, installs H&H length bolt stop/ejector plus mag follower, and rebarrels. Done! The 375 Ruger requires only rebarreling and a feed/function check. Some individual rifles may need minor feed work.

The late classics were made only in the long length - the pre-64 were also made in only one length but it was shorter and took quite a bit of work to make them work with the .375 length cases. For a pre-64 gun start out with a .300 H&H.

The later magnum guns are a snap to convert to the .375 H&H. Remove the stop on the bolt collar, knock the magazine spacer out with a cold chisel, cut some metal off the ejector and you have the action ready to go. Guess I could cut some metal off the right side of rear bridge but mine seems to work ok as is and I load it thru the side anyway since it normally has a scope on it.

Mine feeds fine with a stock follower and no work to the action but every gun is a bit different. I'll try and pick up a longer follower someday; I guess the are still making them.

Quote Originally Posted by fish_stix View Post
    The Mod 70 (any belted magnum) conversion to 375 H&H is fairly simple because there is only one standard length receiver. The gunsmith removes the 1/4" spacer at the rear of the mag box, mills the rear bridge to open the loading port slightly, drills and taps a new scope mount hole, installs H&H length bolt stop/ejector plus mag follower, and rebarrels. Done! The 375 Ruger requires only rebarreling and a feed/function check. Some individual rifles may need minor feed work.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    I have a 90ies model 70 winchester model that is a 300 win mag right now. After getting a 300 wsm that shots better then it I have decided to rebarrel it. I have a 338-06 so I thought the best thing to do would turn it into a 375 H&H, Will these fit in the magazine or would there have to be work done to it? from what I can tell the 375 has the same bolt and it about .020 longer then the win mag. Any help would be great.
    Swampdonkey, a friend and I converted his controlled feed M70 .300 Winchester by installing a new, take-off stainless barrel from a controlled feed .375 H&H. We took the block out of the magazine box, installed a longer follower, cut back the ejector, and called it good. Well, almost. You can load the rifle, shoot it, and the empty case ejects just fine, but if you try to eject a loaded round, you have to get it out from under the extractor, and then shake it out. Only way around it is to open the action up by cutting the rear bridge back. You can use the rifle without the mod, just know that it's a pain to unload that loaded round. You can empty the magazine by dropping the floorplate, of course.
    Friend hunted with it in Wyoming, after speed goats, where rifle function wasn't going to kill him from a charge from an enraged prairie dog, but YOU might want to make it 'right'.