Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Denali Highway Caribou Report...

Default Denali Highway Caribou Report...

Well, I tried to upload some excellent pictures of hundreds of caribou including a huge bull today... but alas, the forums won't allow me to upload anything.... Still not sure why...

So picture this: A field full of 300 caribou, with several bulls, one that is huge and a wall hanger (after you split the horns, of course), and the picture would tell you exactly where they were if you've ever been across the highway...

If Brian or somone can help me, that would be great. The picture uploader does not work, and I can't even see a lot of the buttons. When I try to upload, it says I've used twice the allowed MB... but I can't delete any of the old pictures on there to make room... Do I need to upgrade my membership??

Thanks!
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Claude - Are you referring to these pictures?

For what it's worth, all you have to do in your photobucket album view is to put your mouse arrow over the picture, then copy the IMG code in the box that pops up and paste it into the message here. You don't need to use the picture uploader at all if you're using photobucket, and there is no limit to the number of pictures you post here if you use that route.

NO Splitting of Antlers, this year. This is the year to get your name in The BOOK.
    300??? Sounds like they are thicker than locusts up your way.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

wlep! my tag made it to FBK... SOOOOO

later all...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Brian, Yes! those are the pictures! Jen must have put them on Facebook already! I really want that one bull on the lodge wall! If you guys can keep him alive till I get back from god-forsaken Louisiana, I'd appreciate it! heh heh.

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    Brian, Yes! those are the pictures! Jen must have put them on Facebook already! I really want that one bull on the lodge wall! If you guys can keep him alive till I get back from god-forsaken Louisiana, I'd appreciate it! heh heh.
    Not Facebook - photobucket. I got them right from the link you posted in the other thread.

As for that bull, he'll lose his antlers long before you get home. That being the case, I'll try to preserve them for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Claude - Are you referring to these pictures?

For what it's worth, all you have to do in your photobucket album view is to put your mouse arrow over the picture, then copy the IMG code in the box that pops up and paste it into the message here. You don't need to use the picture uploader at all if you're using photobucket, and there is no limit to the number of pictures you post here if you use that route.
    Sure fire way to get some business at the lodge is by posting photos of the bou across the hwy from you, wink. Thanks for the pics and all the reports guys. Looks like me and my party are going to head to Denali Hwy. We'll be camped somewhere between Butte Lake trail and Butte Creek trail. Keep the reports coming, I'll do the same when I get back on Saturday evening.

great, now the highway will be more flooded than normal....should we just car pool? or rent a bus or something? then we can do a meet and great and call shots for each other...

any word on 'bou in any other regions of the area? i'll be driving to glennallen and back next week, i'll pass on any info i see there, maybe help aleviate some pressure off specific areas.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Those pictures notwithstanding, I hear good things about Paxson and areas just south and west.

Was thinking of renting out my passenger van. I'll have Jennifer pick you guys up in Cantwell, drive to the lodge, shoot the caribou out the window, toss em on the top rack, drop off a load, then do it again!

The sooner all the tags are filled, the sooner I'll have the highway to myself for hunting upon my return.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    great, now the highway will be more flooded than normal....should we just car pool? or rent a bus or something? then we can do a meet and great and call shots for each other...

any word on 'bou in any other regions of the area? i'll be driving to glennallen and back next week, i'll pass on any info i see there, maybe help aleviate some pressure off specific areas.
    Hey in the true spirit of subsistence we pool together and drive the herd into a canyon, off a cliff, or into a corral and then shoot the ones we want, or does that not seem right?

Default Rut

Speaking of bull caribou... It sounds like the consensus is that middle November before it is safe to shoot a bull caribou and not waste the meat? Also, does meat have to stay on the bone?
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    Speaking of bull caribou... It sounds like the consensus is that middle November before it is safe to shoot a bull caribou and not waste the meat? Also, does meat have to stay on the bone?
    Bull or cow its going to Indian Valley or Alaska Sausage. This is a sport/hobby for me, not subsistence. All ethical hunters salvage the meat from their kill and make use of it how they see fit, inline with their personal traditions, beliefs, knowledge, skills, and abilities. To suggest that by shooting a "rutted" bull the meat will be wasted is not accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    Not necessarily. Early-mid October is no good, but at this point it's not inedible. My parents killed two bulls on the 21st a few years ago and the meat, while gamey, was certainly still good for sausage and hot dogs and was certainly not wasted. It wasn't the fully rutty stuff that you read about dogs turning down.

Anything showing up west of Cantwell?

Well sir, anything much west of Cantwell would put you in the King's Land (Denali National Park) so I am pretty sure you are more interested in anything showing up east of Cantwell. Even at that you'll want to be east of Brushkana as that is when you can be 100% sure you are not on any AHTNA land and avoid any drama there. Hope that helps a little atleast.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Well sir, anything much west of Cantwell would put you in the King's Land (Denali National Park) so I am pretty sure you are more interested in anything showing up east of Cantwell. Even at that you'll want to be east of Brushkana as that is when you can be 100% sure you are not on any AHTNA land and avoid any drama there. Hope that helps a little atleast.
    Good info. Brushkana is the line for me too, just so I'm sure I'm not bothering anyone.

Default processor choice

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    Bull or cow its going to Indian Valley or Alaska Sausage.
    It is my understanding that the former will give you YOUR meat back, and the latter will give you the same poundage of meat from the pile.

I can see instance of choosing one method or the other, depending on what you have to drop off with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    So, if I'm an Ahtna shareholder then I should have some open area?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    So, if I'm an Ahtna shareholder then I should have some open area?
    Only if you have a Tier II Permit. The Federalie Permitee's can't Hunt AHTNA Lands. Private property falls under State Laws, thank goodness.

If you have a Federalie Permit, then you will have to share the bar ditches with the R...r...er....r....rest of the upper class.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast