Thread: Collapsable Sections - FIXED?

Default Collapsable Sections - FIXED?

Hi guys,

With help from a few programmers I think we've corrected the collapsible sections on the forum home. Take a look and tell me if its fixed for you too!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Man1c M0g View Post
    Hi guys,

With help from a few programmers I think we've corrected the collapsible sections on the forum home. Take a look and tell me if its fixed for you too!
    works for me... though i still can not add pics to my albums says i am way over budget for downloads.. and the membership fixes that... has only been since the last upgrade... Thanks
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

It works! Finally no more hippie canoe forums to glance past!!

moocow

Now also upgraded to v4.0.8 of the vbulletin software too. Any new problems showing themselves? Lots of bugs appear to be fixed: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/secure/...3D+%224.0.8%22

Oh, and custom profiles are back too! So feel free to pile on the lurid colors and awkward fonts like you did in v3.x of the software.

It depends what you call "fixed". Yes, the sections now collapse when the page is loaded. But, it shouldn't have to load the WHOLE page, and THEN collapse the selected sections. The whole point of having collapsible sections is to make the viewing experience easier, faster, and more pleasurable. But, as it is now, when I click on the main page... ALL the sections load from the top down (just like it used to)... and then, when the page is done loading (which takes too long, by the way), all my selected sections collapse. This is very irritating. Because, while I'm waiting for the entire page to load, I will often start scrolling down to a lower section. Then, as I'm scrolling, the page will finish loading and collapse my selected sections, jumping me to somewhere else on the page.

What SHOULD happen is... when I click on the forum link, your server should recognize that "Rod in Wasilla" is visiting the site, and load the page accordingly, including any customizations that I have set. NOT load the complete standard page, then recognize who is viewing and change the settings. Very irritating indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

I am not sure what you are talking about, but I notice NO differance whatsoever from the way the forum loaded in the past compared to the way it loads now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post
    It depends what you call "fixed". Yes, the sections now collapse when the page is loaded. But, it shouldn't have to load the WHOLE page, and THEN collapse the selected sections. The whole point of having collapsible sections is to make the viewing experience easier, faster, and more pleasurable. But, as it is now, when I click on the main page... ALL the sections load from the top down (just like it used to)... and then, when the page is done loading (which takes too long, by the way), all my selected sections collapse. This is very irritating. Because, while I'm waiting for the entire page to load, I will often start scrolling down to a lower section. Then, as I'm scrolling, the page will finish loading and collapse my selected sections, jumping me to somewhere else on the page.

What SHOULD happen is... when I click on the forum link, your server should recognize that "Rod in Wasilla" is visiting the site, and load the page accordingly, including any customizations that I have set. NOT load the complete standard page, then recognize who is viewing and change the settings. Very irritating indeed.
    I may be wrong but your browser loads all data associated with the webpage called up. The cookie set on your computer from previous visits determines what SHOWS on your screen. (in theory you could have adaware , cookie blocking and others that would control what loads)

The recent "fix" almost seems backwards as there is a quick flash of all sections then they collapse. Slower connections may prolong that effect.

ford-trucks.com (another v-bulletin site, earlier version) loads just fine with my customizations. So do others. This site doesn't.

Bah! It seems to me that these "enhancements" are just bringing the site closer to becoming another slow, bloated, overly fluff-enhanced site like so many others. When is good enough actually going to be good enough? I guess Bling is King.

So... still no response to this?

Sorry about the delay in responding, Rod. Some of these settings are beyond my technical capabilities, so I'm going to send Man1c M0g an e-mail and see if we can get him in here to give you some feedback.

So... still no response to this?
    Sorry, but thats the way that the forum coders have written the forum. Junkak is very correct in saying that the collapsing function is client-side (its actually based on cookies), so the entire page loads before the javascript calculates the sections that are meant to be collapsed and then collapses them. On slow connections it can take some time before the sections collapse.

Incidentally it was exactly the same in the previous version of vbulletin. Its not a new 'feature' or bug.

Well, thanks for looking into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    works for me... though i still can not add pics to my albums says i am way over budget for downloads.. and the membership fixes that... has only been since the last upgrade... Thanks
    Vince, has this issue been taken care of? If not, please contact Brian M and he can assist with it.

Thanks!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Vince, has this issue been taken care of? If not, please contact Brian M and he can assist with it.

Thanks!

-Mike
    21.75 MB of 2.86 MB Used
    File Upload Manager

- Manage all files that you have uploaded

nope... that is the message i have... the new uploader is hard to use also... i just dont want to delete my albums already in place as lots of folks like to look at them... thanks
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

If we are still looking into issues can we get the " Retrieve remote file and reference locally" check box under the URL tab on the picture uploader changed to where it is default un-checked? That is what is causing a lot of the failed images on the forum. I think it also may be part of Vince's issue. Honestly I have a feeling that that check box could be done away with altogether. I think it is actually downloading those images to our server (or trying to) which seems like a waste of space to me.

I'll give the picture issues a stab tomorrow and report back with what I can get figured out.