Thread: Shipping options

Default Shipping options

New member here with a quick question. What are the practical/cost effective ways to ship an inflatable to the lower 48? I have found a few Pro Pioneers for sale in Alaska but have yet to nail down a known a shipping method that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I figure a few of you have been through this. Thanks in advance and I have enjoyed all of the information contained on this site. Looking forward to a future trip to Alaska.

Ossahatchee,

DHL has been extremely affordable for shipping Pro Pioneer pkg to the Lower 48. The only downside is they won't ship to a residential address...so, either have your seller drop off at the nearest Alaska DHL office and then have the boat shipped to a biz address of yours or to the nearest DHL office in your city/state for p/u.

Otherwise, FedEx Ground general delivery is next cheapest (usually).

Last resort would be to ask about trucking it slow-boat through a company that uses the rail system and/or barge system to Seattle and then to the Contiguous 48. Try Span Alaska, American Fast Freight, etc.

good luck,

larry

Larry,

Just checked with DHL. they informed me that they have suspended Domestic shipping. Thought you might want to know. I'll keep trying. Thanks for the help,

Forrest

Have the person you are buying the raft from ship via NAC to where you are doing your trip. Take the trip and fly back with the boat. The PP is well under 100 lbs (max wt on airlines). I did that when I bought my 14' Sotar from Goo Vogt of Alaska Wildwater in Anch. Worked like a charm. Take the money you were going to spend on shipping and buy yourself a new fly rod.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

A cautionary note on shipping your raft; your repair kit has glue and possibly solvent that is classified as a flammable liquid. It is regulated as a hazardous materiel and must meet certain packaging requirements for transport! Check with your transporter on those requirements (and there is usually a fee involved). Better yet, leave the adhesives here and buy it when you get there! If you're thinking you will just try to sneak it through, think again! The penalties could be severe... especially on passenger aircraft!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Good points. The solvents and such are an issue. Before I knew better, I flew with the MEK and it leaked out of the bottle. Won't be flying with that again. I carry a few boxes of Tear-aid tape with me. Very good stuff from what I hear. Good enough for a temporary patch.

http://www.tear-aid.com/
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

At least in Alaska... much of DHL was routed/moved via contract w/ Northwest Air Cargo. Delta took over and floundered on Northwest Airlines rich tradition in the Air Cargo industry.

Many Asian inflatable manufacturers used DHL (not necessarily inexpensive or timely) to get boats here to Alaska --- would not be the least surprised for inflatables like the Pro-Pioneer out of Taiwan.

If making a reasonable investment in a boat package up here then shipping elsewhere out of state... go two day air and insure it in some manner.

One of the best ways to save is to know folks working in the commercial airline industry... even works company to companies for Fed-EX mailing and such.

As Mike related... NO Chemicals - stiff & far reaching penalties
    possible.

Taking it with you will be well over the ever changing lighter weight limitations... this is really no longer a viable option in most cases.

Not sure if this is of help, but Dave Smith Motors in Kellog, Idaho ships cars here all the time. Maybe check with them and one of their drivers can get your package that far maybe at a decent price. Just a thought.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.