Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my 2 new black bear rifles for this year anyone changing up what they used this year

Default my 2 new black bear rifles for this year anyone changing up what they used this year

I have decided I need some new rifles for black bear hunting at my bait site this year. Before anybody gets critical over my choices I am just sharing and they are what I want so they make me happy and that's really what black bear baiting is all about my happiness.

So the first one is a 416 Remington from the custom shop that I am going to put a Nightforce 1x4 lighted reticle on for those days that I am just sick of grizzlies and want to shoot my black bear and have him DRT.

The second is when I want more rounds and because I think the caliber is very interesting and well suited for a bait.
    A DPMS AR10 in 338 Federal shooting 210 Nosler Partitions at 2600fps with a Nightforce 1x4 lighted reticle seems like a really fun gun.

So there you have it 2 new guns and I plan to shoot two black bears next year . I am already getting ready which means I am gong to be drivng my wife crazy for the winter.

So lets hear if your changing up guns.

I'm not changing guns. I'll probably be baiting for the first time next spring. The density of the brush and distance from my stand to my bait will probably dictate my weapon choice. Dense brush and a stand inside 100 yards will mean the .450 Marlin gets the nod. If I have the potential for a longer shot, I'll use the XS7 .243, just because I can drive tacks with it, and put a 100 gr. Nosler partition exactly where I want it. Factory open sights on the .450, New Redfield 3-9X40 on the XS7.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Cool choices you guys. I will try my Z7 and maybe benelli super nova with breneke 12ga black magics! Or the 10mm again, for those nay sayers!!

Chances are I will stick to my .375 Ruger or .30-30 for Blackies but the options are endless...I'll have to wait and see what waddles in on the game cameras and go from there.

Still hoping to get one with the 45 Colt wheelgun with a 2X scope. But, the 454 Levergun may come along as well depending.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Cool choices you guys. I will try my Z7 and maybe benelli super nova with breneke 12ga black magics! Or the 10mm again, for those nay sayers!!
    This spring I got a blackie with my Benelli Super Nova and black magics. It did the trick quite well and I was only about 20 yrds away. It dropped like a train hit it. It was quite fun to use open sites and something different from the normal weapon.
    I may have to use my S&W .460 revolver on the next bear though just for kicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man Jack View Post
    This spring I got a blackie with my Benelli Super Nova and black magics. It did the trick quite well and I was only about 20 yrds away. It dropped like a train hit it. It was quite fun to use open sites and something different from the normal weapon.
    I may have to use my S&W .460 revolver on the next bear though just for kicks.
    Sweet man! The .460 outta do it!!

I just bought a muzzleloader and might use that, but I think the bow and shottie have first dibs.

I'm going to try my new 16" Bushmaster AR-10 next spring over bait. I plan on reloading some Barnes TSX and Swift bullets and see how they shoot over the winter.

I got a pro hunter last year and got barrels in 375 HH and 45-70 the only big game I did this year was baiting do to work and then only had griz on the bait so going to try first with the 45-70. Hell Ill think positive then the second with 375 and the third bear with my bow.

I got to try my new puma 92 in 454 last spring on a blackie. It was real cool to use the open sights, I did put a reciever sight on the back and a fiber optic sight on the front. That sight really shows up on that black background!

B&C 04, I like your idea for the 30-30, that would be a fun time, and like BRWNBR I'm kind of afraid that the .416 might make my butt look to big and unlike him my butt does look to big.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

Has anyone ever shot a black bear with a .223? I heard some folks on here a while back were considering it. It would be cool, but I have a feeling it would be too light. Shot placement would need to be spot on for sure.

blackbear,

Congrats on the new purchases! I have no experience with a 416 Rem but I do with the AR-type rifles. I have a custom GA Precision AR-10 in 308 that can shoot 5/8inch at 100 yards --LOVE that rifle! One hint for you using the AR platform (if I may take this liberty) is to keep the bolt well lubricated...even sloppy lubricated is fine as long as it does not get into the bore. A dry AR bolt can hang up and not rotate. I can't tell you how much I like the whole process of hand loading rounds for the 308 then going to the rangs to see if it's a good day, or one that I don't talk about

Speaking about new rifles...I may not have the time off from work to hunt this year but I can still dream. I have been thinking about a Marlin 1895SBL 45-70 and I have also been thinking about a stainless Browning in 375 H&H. I haven't bought a new rifle in a few years and I' due one now.

Again, congrats BB,

AJ -AKA- MyTime

I used a Tikka T3 7mm rem mag last year. I think I'm going to try to build a .458 socom upper for my AR and handload Barnes Tipped Triple Shocks.

Well I mainly bowhunt my stand, but I may just have to put a "notch" in my new 45-70 next year on a bear. But I prefer arrows.

using my 50 lb Black Widow Recurve, and will carry my new Rugar 44 mag as a sidearm

I'll be sticking to my 375 Ruger. I let my son borrow it this past spring and he fell in love with it and now wants one of his own. I used the 416 Ruger last year and the loads are just way to much on lil blackies. Got a good load for that 375 Ruger....76grs of RL15 pushing a 260gr Nosler Accubond. The bears and moose hit with that have not gone far if they moved at all. Son did a 250 to 300 yard shot on a blackie last spring with that and double lunged him. Bear went maybe 20 yards and dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man Jack View Post
    Has anyone ever shot a black bear with a .223? I heard some folks on here a while back were considering it. It would be cool, but I have a feeling it would be too light. Shot placement would need to be spot on for sure.
    Nothing wrong with a .223 for blackies, in fact I was thinking that some guns mentioned were overkill. A .416 rem for blackies? That seems a bit much.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    Nothing wrong with a .223 for blackies, in fact I was thinking that some guns mentioned were overkill. A .416 rem for blackies? That seems a bit much.
    lol no kidding... for something smaller then a deer. with rib bones the size of my pinky finger.. Black bears are super easy to kill.. in fact most i have had to track down were shot with heavy cal's that did not have time or mass to expand properly.. little hole in.. little hole out..

.223/.243 are great for blackies..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I decided to get back in to archery so I bought a new Hoyt for baiting this spring. I still plan to carry my .300 SAUM with me though.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast