Thread: Big Boar

Default Big Boar

In preparation for hunting the DM789 tag I drew, I have been putting in as much range time as I can with my .58 Big Boar and the results are very pleasing to me.

After replacing the original front sight, which was black in color, with a fiber optic sight, I was much better able to get an accurate picture over the sights.

I am still considering replacing the rear sight with another fiber optic or an aperture, but as of yet I am cannot decide.

For now I am happy with 90grns FFG and a PRB, so is the rifle, the last range session resulted in 2 1/8" groups at 50 yards and 3 1/2" at 75 yards. The patches I recovered were is such a condition as to be "reuseable" ( I did reuse a patch as an experiment, without relubing, the result was a flyer ).

The rifle also shoots the Hornady Great Plains Bullets, 525 grn, in front of the same load, where I point them.

What really surprises me is how mild the recoil is from this rifle, even with 110grn FFG and the 525grn conical, I figured this combo would get my attention ! What a fun time this Big Boar is ! Now, I just need to decide on which projectile to hunt with.

For those of you with the greater experience, what opinions have you to offer, if any ?

I' have one and my son-in-law has one. Both reflect your experiences for handling and accuracy. We're both using 90 grains of 3f Goex in mine, which is a little hotter, but that's imaterial. You've got lots of whomp going there with your load.

As for sights, mine is an older one with three holes in the tang, so I could mount the TC Peep Sight without any drilling or tapping. What a great sight! You'll love it!

I own and shoot two 58 cal rifles. I have a TC 58 barrel that is the standard 1 inch octogonal shape 28 inch long with 1 to 48 twist. It shoots both conicals and PRB's well, although substantial sight adjustment is needed when changing between the two types of projectiles.

I bought a Green Mountain barrel, 1inch parrallel octogonal shape, 30 inch long with 1 to 66 twist. This is a dedicated PRB barrel. Frankly I am not entirely satisfied with the quality control that Green Mountain used in producing that barrel. A drunken monkey could have done a better job polishing out the tool marks with a dull stone. It shoots okay but the finish on the barrel sux. I might consider stripping it down and polishing the surface to remove the tooling marks, but that is a project down the road, as I am elbows deep in another project.

Currently the "Other Project" is finishing a custom 58 barrel that Oregon Barrel Works has recently made for me to my own specs. That one is also a 58 cal 1 inch octogonal barrel, 34 inches long with a fast 1 to 32 twist. This barrel will be a dedicated conicals shooter. I also made a 58 Maxi-ball mold that came in just at 600 grains using pure lead. I expect once I have this dialed in it will be my go-to hunting front stuffer.

All these barrels sit in either TC Hawken or TC Renegade stocks equipped with the Davis Deer Slayer double triggers.

As for loads in my TC Big Bore I've had pretty good luck with the TC Maxi-ball at 555 grains, pushed with 130 grains of Goex 2F. I use a 5/8 inch round leather wad over the powder load that I stamp out of scrap leather with an Osborne Punch. It is a robust load but quite managable for hunting conditions. I have never not killed any animal shot with this combination. Always DRT. In fact I am of the opinion that big boar front stuffers kill quicker than high powered centerfire rifles, if the range is limited to 100 yards. I only use Musket caps on my sidelocks, since the spark is much hotter and I've found them to be more reliable than #11 caps. The Top-hat caps are also larger and easier to grasp than the smaller more fragile #11 caps.

The factory 58 cal TC Maxi-balls are of great quality, load well and stay seated on the load during hunting conditions. I've had problems in the past with the Mini-ball style conicals coming unseated off the powder load and even once caught the danged Mini-ball poking his head out of the muzzle to take a look-see around. I am attempting to reproduce the quality of factory TC Maxiballs with my 600 grain mold blocks. I've recently acquired a bullet sizer for the 58 cal conicals and intend to experiment with paper patching my conicals.

There is a huge following of opinion that these rifles should only be used for the PRB. I personally do not agree with that sentiment. I can agree that the PRB is highly effective, but my personal results have shown the conical load to penetrate with greater authority.

In addition to what Brown Bear said above about the TC Peep sight, TC also made a vernier sight which will extend your range substantially over that of Iron sights.

I also agree with what you said about replacing the TC black front sight with the TC red dot fiber optic. Huge improvment there. On my TC Big Bore barrel I use the TC Rear Fiber Optic sight as well. Very nice combination, quite user friendly.
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the shadow is mine and so is the valley. Thy Glock and thy M14 comfort me in days of civil unrest and terror

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

That must be one reely BIG Hawg, or Boar, if he can keep gittin shot with all them guns.

Even if you're not hittin him in the right place.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I absolutely love my BB, by far my most favorite shooter! I use 80 grains of 3f Triple 777, a .575 round ball with a pillow ticking patch lathered with crisco/bees wax. I seldom shoot beyond 50 yards but did make a clean kill last year at 150 yards more or less (luck more than skill). I have old eyes so I use fiber optic front sights and T/C peep sight on the rear. I also replace my ramrod with with hollow brass rod from October Country and I'm extremely satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Valve View Post
    ... and I'm extremely satisfied.
    And a dang good shot you are, too!

The ramrod, that was another improvement I wish to make. I have only the original wooden rod atm and have been trying to find reliable replacement. I have been going through online catlouges at Dixie, The Gun Works, Natchez, Track of The Wolf but have been unable to decide on one, also been looking for a range rod and some appropriate tips to fit a .58 bore, they seem near impossoble to find other than one or two .5" attachements.

Hmmm. Pig Valve and I have been getting our 58 cal tips from TOW, and the brass rods came from October Country. Of course, once you've got your own you kinda lose track of whether an outfit carries them any more.