Thread: hide prep for selling

Default hide prep for selling

just wondering what you have to do to a hide your gonna give to the trapping shop off the parks highway about mile 49. do you tan them or drie them or what? im gonna try my luck at trapping this year and was just wondering incase i actually get lucky.

I would focus on getting something first.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by jesseakhunter View Post
    just wondering what you have to do to a hide your gonna give to the trapping shop off the parks highway about mile 49. do you tan them or drie them or what? im gonna try my luck at trapping this year and was just wondering incase i actually get lucky.
    you mean aside from

Skinning

streching.

fleshing

and drying?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    That was a jerk thing to say. The guy was just asking for advice. I have seen a ton of people go and get something then have no idea how to put up the fur. this is a good question. It all depends on what you plan on trapping. If you can get your hands on it fish and game put out a video on fur handling as different animals are dried different way i.e I do my lynx for only over night with the leather out and then turn them and the same with fox. Mink you make a window. I sell my furs tried and not tanned, the only ones that I get tanned are for someone to make me mittens or to hang on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    I would say just the exact opposite. Nothing is worse than a guy going out and trapping animals when he has no idea how to take care of them properly.

I second Swapdonkeys advice, all of it. Call F&G in Palmer and ask if you can get a copy of the FUR HANDLING video. It is terrific and will answer all your questions about what needs to be done..

Nice Marmot.

thanx for the input. i know how to skin and flesh and turn lips, ears but i know nothing about stretching or drying. ill try to get ahold of that video.

You can get wooden streachers and it is easy. They use to have them at fort green and Im sure that they do in the new location, I just havent been there

Also, It is easy to make your own stretchers. Go to the NAFA.CA website and there is a pdf download there on fur handling that gives you the dimensions to build them for each species...
    BTW, the "clean skinning" of beaver that is on the F&G video is fantastic and will save you alot of effort in the fleshing process if you spend the time upfront in skinning them..

I have a Hal Sullivan video Fur Handling 2000, that shows the basics of post skinning fur prep from fleshing to stretching and drying and is worth the few bucks it cost to buy it. I'm also lucky enough to learn under the expert tootledge of a friend I consider an expert in fur handling.

One of the things I've learned is that you'll get more for your pelts if you skin out the feet and paws on canines and cats than you do if you just cut them at the ankle for the fur garment industry.
    Now what ?