Thread: My MT. GOATS have moved down into the FOREST........WHY.....?

Default My MT. GOATS have moved down into the FOREST........WHY.....?

I wonder why the Mt. Goats move down into the forest.....??? While looking for Bears on both sides of Six-Mile Creek I typically see Mt. Goats up in the Alpine or rocks. But today on both mountains they were down in the forest. I wonder why, given that the snow has retreated to 3,700 ASL.

They are hiding from the bears...
    "Your papers are not in order"

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I wonder why the Mt. Goats move down into the forest.....??? While looking for Bears on both sides of Six-Mile Creek I typically see Mt. Goats up in the Alpine or rocks. But today on both mountains they were down in the forest. I wonder why, given that the snow has retreated to 3,700 ASL.
    I need to break out "a beast the color of winter" but I recall he covers this topic.

My guess would be they dropped down to get out of some up coming weather.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Well it is NOT Predators, they were feed, calmly just down in the forest.

jwolf

Perhaps they’re hiding from all the hunters that you sent your way.. or.. Perhaps they’re confused due to the changes we’re all seeing that are about to get much more severe.. Perhaps they know something we don’t.. BAHAHAHA!!

Perhaps they moved down the slope 'cause it is late-ish Oct and they have moved down the slopes every year for they last several thousand years. Although I have only observed this seasonal movment for the last 22 years in an are onlt 30 to 50 miles from Hope.
    Perhaps they want some food that is not yet frozen.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    Perhaps they moved down the slope 'cause it is late-ish Oct and they have moved down the slopes every year for they last several thousand years. Although I have only observed this seasonal movment for the last 22 years in an are onlt 30 to 50 miles from Hope.
    Unfortunately I mailed my book that explains this behavior home already but as ATA says, this is a normal seasonal movement.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post

More likely the start of the breeding season.

Does the higher altitudes alter blood flow to their schmekyls??

The wife and I were down in Hope two months ago and while driving back towards the Seward Hwy here came a mt. goat running down the center of the road at us. No joke! His/her tongue was hanging out so I'm guessing it had been running awhile. I pulled over and it ran 5 feet right by my truck going the other way. Wasn't a kid but wasn't a full grown adult. Why'd it keep going down the road rather than straight up the hill? Beats me. Pretty funny at the time. The two drivers in the other vehicles got a pretty good laugh as well.

That is top secret Information you just shamelessly released. They cross the Hope Road, But mostly they come down to lick the salt on the rock walls along Turnagain Arm and eat the sedges out in the flats at the mouth of Six-Mile Creek. When there was more of them they sometimes got hit by cars or trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    When there was more of them they sometimes got hit by cars or trucks.
    I was wondering why there are fewer of them now.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~