Thread: Prince William Sound deer hunt

Default Prince William Sound deer hunt

Back from filming our deer hunt on Montague Island and Green Island. 11 deer between 3 hunters were taken. One monster size buck down! Monster size as far as black tail go. Good WX overall. Good time. Stayed at the Green Island cabin for part of the trip, nice layout but our trip was cut short due to incoming WX...45 kt winds w/18 footers predicted. Deer seemed to be hanging closer to the beach this time around. No bear sitings as I've heard others report. Well worn bear trails w/old scat but nothing new. I learn something new everytime I do these trips. Heading to Kodiak mid November for deer...I have an idea we'll be knee deep in deer. We worked for these deer...7 to 11 mile hike per day...some pretty rough dense forest to access the meadows. Snow was up high but on returning to Valdez snow was hitting the ground in the narrows. Good luck everyone! Deer1.jpg
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Good deal, Tim! Glad to hear that you got onto some deer, and that sure is a nice buck for PWS. I look forward to seeing that episode when you get it on the air.

November in Kodiak, now that sounds like fun. Look forward to seeing the shows aired.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

positive attitude and boots beating the brush congrats

Awesome! Sounds like you guys did really well...I'm heading out with a group in mid-November to montague as well. Hopefully the snow will be down close to the beach

Nice job, October deer are usually tough! Was that an oversized fork? Hopefully you had a boondocks ticket!
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

thanks for coming along Tim i'm glad it worked out, i have to go back to Vdz tomorrow but you need to get with me and pick up some meat unles you are waiting until you get back from Kodiak. if any one needs hunter transport in PWS let me know we have lowered our rates a bit to help folks who want ot get out this winter.
    Quote Originally Posted by akskidoo View Post
    Awesome! Sounds like you guys did really well...I'm heading out with a group in mid-November to montague as well. Hopefully the snow will be down close to the beach

Quote Originally Posted by fulltilt111 View Post
    thanks for coming along Tim i'm glad it worked out, i have to go back to Vdz tomorrow but you need to get with me and pick up some meat unles you are waiting until you get back from Kodiak. if any one needs hunter transport in PWS let me know we have lowered our rates a bit to help folks who want ot get out this winter.
    What are your rates currently? Just out of curiosity. You can PM me if you like.

Hey Dan! It was a lot of work but a lot of fun, good footage. I'm thinking the November hunts one wouldn't have to travel so deep for the deer as the snow would drive them down. Of course, its a balance between WX and access to deer in the later hunts. Meat...COOL! You around this weekend in Anchorage?

Quote Originally Posted by fulltilt111 View Post

Thanks Brian! I'll give a big heads up before it airs. Probably after December. How did you hunting go this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Good deal, Tim! Glad to hear that you got onto some deer, and that sure is a nice buck for PWS. I look forward to seeing that episode when you get it on the air.

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    How did you hunting go this year?
    Very minimal, unfortunately. We had a second child this summer, and that was a game changer for us this fall. Needless to say, we're already looking forward to next year and making plans. I will be getting out in the coming weeks for caribou, though, assuming the Tier II season stays open. A number of family members and a couple of close friends have permits, so I'll probably be out chasing caribou two or three times. It's not the same as being in the alpine in the fall, but at this point, I'm going so stir-crazy that I'll take anything I can.