Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tier ll question

Default Tier ll question

So, in reading the FAQ's on the ADF&G website (dated 8/5/10) it says that folks with Tier ll permits have a bag limit of one caribou however the bag limit will change by EO to one bull after 800 cows have been taken.

Then, on the KTUU website, there is a story there (dated 10/11/10) that says that the bag limit for Tier ll hunters is "a bull caribou" without any additional comments like that which is in the FAQ's mentioned above.

Is the 800 cow decision still in place, does anyone know? We haven't received our permit yet and the hotline hasn't said anything regarding this matter, soooo.....

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I would follow the rules posted by ADFG over some reporter for KTUU.

I would cofer with AKRes about the accuracy of ktuu All humor aside, believe NOTHING other than ADF&G.

I just received my tier II permit today. The harvest limit is "ONE CARIBOU (unless changed by Emergency Order)". According to the text of the permit, they have a limit (unknown number) on both bulls and cows. If either or both is reached, they will publish an EO to limit further hunting to the other or stop it altogether.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by littleman81 View Post
    I would cofer with AKRes about the accuracy of ktuu All humor aside, believe NOTHING other than ADF&G.
    DUDE... Akres owns Ktuu and ADN...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    DUDE... Akres owns Ktuu and ADN...
    Dang, i sure hope he doesnt read this!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Dang, i sure hope he doesnt read this!
    well it makes sence you know... where do you think he gets all his insider info the day before it hits print or screen?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

If you shoot a bull you have nothing to worry about!

Quote Originally Posted by H20Dogg View Post
    If you shoot a bull you have nothing to worry about!
    except TASTE... i will be looking for one of the 800 cows.

meet on face book here

Vice is right. I have been down that road!

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    except TASTE... i will be looking for one of the 800 cows.
    If you wait till December or January though.

Quote Originally Posted by H20Dogg View Post
    If you wait till December or January though.
    yep they will be good and tasty then.. fat free but alright to eat... actually you dont need to wait that long... mid Nov will have 99% of the rank out of them

meet on face book here

I have my permit here but not a suppliment, is antler destruction required? I sure would like for my GF to get to keep the antlers from her first big game animal. No biggie if we can't but ID like to know.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I have my permit here but not a suppliment, is antler destruction required? I sure would like for my GF to get to keep the antlers from her first big game animal. No biggie if we can't but ID like to know.
    You say "your permit" and your gf's first big game animal kill. Does she have a permit too? If so, I get it. If not, how is she going to kill this caribou?

Next, Proxy permit, Original Permit, and Transfer permit for caribou in Unit 13 have to have the antlers destroyed. What is different about this Tier II hunt vs. the Tier I is that there is no requirement to leave the antlers in the field. At least from what I can tell and have talked to ADF&G about. IMO, take what your told here and call ADF&G to get clarification and call at least two or three offices to get a consensus. Seriously, the Palmer office, Anchorage Office, and Glenallen Office have been known to hand out differing opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    You say "your permit" and your gf's first big game animal kill. Does she have a permit too? If so, I get it. If not, how is she going to kill this caribou?

Next, Proxy permit, Original Permit, and Transfer permit for caribou in Unit 13 have to have the antlers destroyed. What is different about this Tier II hunt vs. the Tier I is that there is no requirement to leave the antlers in the field. At least from what I can tell and have talked to ADF&G about. IMO, take what your told here and call ADF&G to get clarification and call at least two or three offices to get a consensus. Seriously, the Palmer office, Anchorage Office, and Glenallen Office have been known to hand out differing opinions.
    The Tier I hunt this year did not require the antlers to be left in the field, just split or removed from the skull plate. I belive you are correct about the antler destruction regarding proxy and transfer permits, but it would be best to verify with the officials to make sure.

LM nailed it.

Another thing Tier II hunters should consider is; Just how quickly the majority of the herd can get out of the hunt zone. It can and has happened within a short period in some years. If you are going to wait until mid-November, you will be hunting the local herds that don't migrate. Some years the migration is over the top and to the north of the Alaska Range. Most years it is along the southern flank of the range. Based on their movements thus far this year, I am betting the majority will be migrating along the southern flank, between the range and the Copper River. If they drop out of the Alphabet's to the north they keep moving that way. If they drop out of the Alphabet's to the south as they did this year, they keep moving that way. Just a SWAG on my part though.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Just waiting for them to move south and into our area! Hope they hurry up and get here!

We haven't received our permit yet and the hotline hasn't said anything regarding this

TMS,
    I stopped into the ADFG office in Soldotna yesterday to ask a couple questions and the clerk printed my permit for me, if there is an office close to you, call them.
    I have a few questions as well. I had heard a story about some T2 hunters leaving entrials in the feild and later being written up over it. Does anyone know of any specific restriction on harvesting heart, liver, etc?
    OTK

we both were drawn, her permit just hadnt arrived yet, mine had.

Quote Originally Posted by onthekenai View Post
    We haven't received our permit yet and the hotline hasn't said anything regarding this

TMS,
    I stopped into the ADFG office in Soldotna yesterday to ask a couple questions and the clerk printed my permit for me, if there is an office close to you, call them.
    I have a few questions as well. I had heard a story about some T2 hunters leaving entrials in the feild and later being written up over it. Does anyone know of any specific restriction on harvesting heart, liver, etc?
    OTK
    There were much more stringent requirements for the Tier I (not tier II) permits last year such as heart/liver/kidney/etc... as well as antler destruction and leaving antlers in the field. They eliminated most of those this year for the tier I and they are almost all eliminated for the tier II winter hunt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast