Thread: Black Bear

Default Black Bear

Anyone still seeing them, thinking of getting back out this next weekend and giving them a try.
    Paul

came in a couple hours ago from ship creek and saw no blackie but 2 browns. funny thing is at the range on base there was a blackie just sitting in the woods watching me shoot for about 30 min. man he tempted me. goodluck to ya i headn back into ship creek this weekend, they have to stillbe out.

Danny

danny,
    What part of ship creek are you hunting? I am asuming your talking about the upper part. I was thinking about going in off artic vally road before the ski area but cant find much info on where the boundries are for rifle hunting. any info? I'm just going to be looking for black bears. no moose tag for me

the easiest way to know that your good to hunt with rifles and off property is to just come in off hiland. if you take the trail from the ski hill there is a small sign and old building on the backside that used to a a military ski area. once you hit that you are good to go. but if you just go up the actual ski hill you get a good view of the valley to glass but its pretty tough on your legs going up. just my two cents

Danny

Default access off highland

Where is there a good access of highland rd?

once your on hiland follow the raod to the trail head of eagle lakes and symphony lakes. once your on that trail go for about 5 min and ull see a trail shooting up the ridge, take that one and itll put u just about at the beginning of the valley. but if you stay on the eagle lake trail for just about 1 mile past the trail shooting up the ridge ull see another one doing the same thing in a little saddle. that pass will put you farther into ship creek and a bit more of a prime area to start. if you want to get a good feel for the area just go up high and walk across the the ridges all the way down the valley, it give u the im on top of the world feeling, plus there is a trail that runs the whole way back on the ridge.

Danny

Default thanks

danny,
    thanks for the info.. I'll be out there sunday but idk if ill go in av or eagle river

ill be in there sunday thru tuesday trying to see if the blackies are still out, good luck to ya,

I think I may go in the back side of the ski area. I know the area pretty well. Am i correct that anything on the backside of that ridge is open?

it sure is, spent about 5 hours glassing from the top of the ski area and only saw 2 brownies. if you see anything that may be big n black wiith lots of fur i could use some help locating these guys too.

Danny

I'm limited on time for my hunt so if i see anything way out i'll let you know lol

FYI that place is going to be crawling with moose hunters starting Monday as the registration moose hunt opens and they gave out 100 tags... you won't be alone I'm sure!

Yea I thought of that, thats why i am going sunday